Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Should Pentax have done this thing, I`d very probably shell out those $2000 *today*

Oh well, the wait...

I mean I know i`m hooked. I can not give up FA77 or FA31. But would Pentax please hurry up with such kind of a camera?

08-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
DPR states $2000 for body only and $2800 with lens. That is not a bad price.
I wonder if people realise all the other stuff they need to upgrade by getting a FF.... personally i would need more HD space and probably a faster computer. You'd need bigger CF cards too. It would end up quite expensive.

Anyway, I applaud what they are doing. Afforadable FF with no gimmicks. A photgraphers camera. No movie mode.

I'd love to see a k7 for sale with 3fps, no movie mode, no 1/8000 but in the same body with the same controls at 2/3 of the price. I would not buy it as i need the FPS etc but i'm sure it would entice a lot of people.

mike
$800 for a 28-75mm kit lens? Sheesh.
08-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
$800 for a 28-75mm kit lens? Sheesh.
It's not a "kit lens" along the lines of a slow 18-55 crop sensor lens. It's a fast constant aperture full frame zoom. Just like Canon sells the 5D with the 24-105 as a "kit" -- and that thing is a $1k lens (and well worth the cost IMO).

C'mon, let's try and be excited about this new thing -- a $2k FF body should be a good thing, not another opportunity to raise the drawbridge to Castle Pentax and start launching arrows in every direction.
08-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Canon 7D box image up

I hear you, Canonrumors don't have a clue about 7D, no one does

In the meantime, Heres an image of 7D 's box:

Canon Rumors

Just the box:

http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mobile01-a5dec84018ed0...a1a3361c93.jpg

From rumours I've read this 7D is not a cheap aps-c semi pro body. I've seen $1699 to $1999 USA price points so Pentax K-7 is safe to stay at $1,299 forever if Hoya chooses to remain at launch price.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
stanleyk: nobody knows what Canon is about to release (if anything) -- Samsungian doesn't, Canonrumors don't. We'll know once they do make an official statement.

The M42s will mount fine on the Canon bodies just like on Pentax.

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-28-2009 at 07:33 AM.
08-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I've looked at files from the a900 w/Zeiss24-70. They are very good. *Very* good. BUT, the camera is huge compared to the K20d (and hence even bigger than the K7), and the Zeiss glass is $$$ and big/heavy.
??
*Any* 24-70 is big/heavy. You should have seen me try to hold a D300 w/ Nikon's 24-70...I kept subconsciously drooping it down even though I thought I was holding it straight
The Pentax 28-70/2.8 is heavy/large as well. It's another case of heavy glass to get good performance.

17-50/2.8's are wayyyy lighter in comparison...
08-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

And as to the OP: You're right, who would possible want a 25MP FF camera with Zeiss glass... ugh, how horrible.
I DO !!! but there is still a question that lingers in my mind. like how much detail is removed or retained during NR or could it be switched off in the A850? the argument on the initial images produced by the A850 as being a bit soft. I'm a bit concerned whether it is because of an inferior lens or an inferior processor. if it's because of the lens, then that's great news, but if it's the image processor of the cam, well Sony needs to get back to the drawing board quickly before it runs out of money.
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #37
Inactive Account

The common adage "once burned, twice shy" springs to mind where Sony gear is concerned and having experienced my fair share of unsatisfactory and costly experiences in the past from this clodhopping corporation, I wholly endorse the sentiments below:

QuoteQuote:
I just hate Sony and generally avoid their products.
QuoteQuote:
Well I can agree with the avoiding Sony products --- I have had many of the Sony consumer stuff fail before they should have
In fact I reckon that if Akio Morita were able to observe what has since become of his once innovative company, he'd undoubtedly be turning in his grave by now. Up to a point, the headline-grabbing price of their latest α850 DSLR offering might at first appear fairly significant, but the developmental process by which cutting-edge technology and feature-laden gizmology is gradually pared-down and incorporated into lesser/cheaper models over an extended period is a well-established business practice. Prospective buyers would be well-advised to bear in mind that the initial outlay for a FF body is invariably only the starting point in what can rapidly turn into an incredibly expensive purchasing chain. The initial excitement of obtaining an "affordable" FF body may well be tempered by studying the retail pricing lists for Sony's current range of lenses, which will surely bring many prospective purchasers down to earth with an uncomfortable bump. The final denouement comes with the unnerving realisation that a 24MP sensor is pretty merciless at exposing mediocre optics and suddenly you could find that your piggy-bank has begun emptying at an alarming rate in order to acquire all that your heart desires. Just don't say that you haven't been warned !!

Best regards
Richard

08-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I DO !!! but there is still a question that lingers in my mind. like how much detail is removed or retained during NR or could it be switched off in the A850? the argument on the initial images produced by the A850 as being a bit soft. I'm a bit concerned whether it is because of an inferior lens or an inferior processor. if it's because of the lens, then that's great news, but if it's the image processor of the cam, well Sony needs to get back to the drawing board quickly before it runs out of money.
The A900 lets you disable high ISO NR. 850 will probably be the same.

As for "soft", a number of users I respect have nothing but praise for the resolution from the sensor and the Zeiss glass on the A900. I'd imagine the A850 will produce virtually identical results since it shares most of the hardware.

This is definitely exciting stuff, and I'd be half tempted to look into trading my 1Ds II for it if I was doing mostly landscapes and portraits and such...
08-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Prospective buyers would be well-advised to bear in mind that the initial outlay for a FF body is invariably only the starting point in what can rapidly turn into an incredibly expensive purchasing chain. The initial excitement of obtaining an "affordable" FF body may well be tempered by studying the retail pricing lists for Sony's current range of lenses, which will surely bring many prospective purchasers down to earth with an uncomfortable bump. The final denouement comes with the unnerving realisation that a 24MP sensor is pretty merciless at exposing mediocre optics and suddenly you could find that your piggy-bank has begun emptying at an alarming rate in order to acquire all that your heart desires. Just don't say that you haven't been warned !!

Best regards
Richard
Let's just keep in mind that even at 24MP the sensor pixel density is far less than a K20D or K7. Yeah, lenses generally perform worse towards the edges, but high MP APS-C sensors are a lot more demanding than any FF sensor on the market today.
08-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
The common adage "once burned, twice shy" springs to mind where Sony gear is concerned and having experienced my fair share of unsatisfactory and costly experiences in the past from this clodhopping corporation, I wholly endorse the sentiments below:

In fact I reckon that if Akio Morita were able to observe what has since become of his once innovative company, he'd undoubtedly be turning in his grave by now. Up to a point, the headline-grabbing price of their latest α850 DSLR offering might at first appear fairly significant, but the developmental process by which cutting-edge technology and feature-laden gizmology is gradually pared-down and incorporated into lesser/cheaper models over an extended period is a well-established business practice. Prospective buyers would be well-advised to bear in mind that the initial outlay for a FF body is invariably only the starting point in what can rapidly turn into an incredibly expensive purchasing chain. The initial excitement of obtaining an "affordable" FF body may well be tempered by studying the retail pricing lists for Sony's current range of lenses, which will surely bring many prospective purchasers down to earth with an uncomfortable bump. The final denouement comes with the unnerving realisation that a 24MP sensor is pretty merciless at exposing mediocre optics and suddenly you could find that your piggy-bank has begun emptying at an alarming rate in order to acquire all that your heart desires. Just don't say that you haven't been warned !!

Best regards
Richard
I know that there is a K-mount lens adapter for the Sony system. I believe it would be possible to use those cheaper Pentax glasses. but does anyone had used or atleast confirm a DA/FA LTD glass on a Sony dslr?

lemme see, Premium Pentax Glasses on a 24/25 MP dslr body.....HHHmmmmmmm......sounds delicious !!!
08-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
I dunno, I think it is VERY ugly, and $2,000 is way more than I want to spend on a camera, especially when Sony lenses are so expensive.

When the K7 comes down to $1,000 I will get it, but that is my upper limit for cameras right now.
Ugly??? Did you check the batt.grip? It has full functionality, man. Magnesium body, SR, FF, light as my k20.... I'm drooling.
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I shoot with a girl who rocks a sony. I am the graphic designer/photo editor for much of the work that goes through that studio. The camera is fine and her images get bought.
08-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I shoot with a girl who rocks a sony. I am the graphic designer/photo editor for much of the work that goes through that studio. The camera is fine and her images get bought.
I agree, at the end of the day did the equipment produce what you wanted??
if it did then that is all that matters -- no matter which brand of photo equipment

Kman
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
all my Pentax and Nikon stuff is going up on the auction block.
Today was the last straw with the new Sony 850 full frame for only $2000.
And I was going to order a 15mm DA LTD in next few weeks. I know if I do this then all of my photos will look much better with the full frame Sony. They have to because only full frame DSLR's can take good photos --- that what all of the people in the know say on the internet. So while I may like the K7 and the fabulous Limited lenses they must now be sold to pay for the $2000 Sony.

oops, I just came to senses again. wait a minute Sony does not have LTD primes

this is a joke of course -- I am only joking, but I am sure there are some folks who will do this

Kman
LOL, that new Sony just made all my poor little APS-C photos turn to poop! I can't even bear to look at them anymore!
08-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #45
Banned

Funny you should say that -- quite a few people I've talked to who have used the A900 comment on how much they like the ergonomics and controls. I think a lot of us get used to a certain type of controls (e.g. Pentax or Nikon) and without extensive use of a different camera it'll feel "wrong". I wasn't very fond of the 1Ds II controls initially, but now I get annoyed whenever I use a camera that doesn't have them...
that is not the case. I can get used to different control layouts. I go between film an digital readily, between Pentax and Nikon. I don't have a problem getting used to such things. with the a900 its flat out terrible. period. its not about different its about bad. this is just my opinion, but it is an opinion based on some actual use. if I was purchasing a FF, id choose Nikon over this thing in a heartbeat.