Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

OK thats it ---

all my Pentax and Nikon stuff is going up on the auction block.
Today was the last straw with the new Sony 850 full frame for only $2000.
And I was going to order a 15mm DA LTD in next few weeks. I know if I do this then all of my photos will look much better with the full frame Sony. They have to because only full frame DSLR's can take good photos --- that what all of the people in the know say on the internet. So while I may like the K7 and the fabulous Limited lenses they must now be sold to pay for the $2000 Sony.

oops, I just came to senses again. wait a minute Sony does not have LTD primes

this is a joke of course -- I am only joking, but I am sure there are some folks who will do this

Kman

08-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Specs are nice, 24mp & inbody antishake too

It was rumoured to be a $1,000 but its nice they include a kit lens with it, huh?

No one includes a kit lens with their full frame dslr. So I suppose its like $1,650 w/o the 28-75mm kit.

Kinda shows us all that features like Live View and HD video aren't really included for "free"

Dpreview A850 linky:

Sony launches DSLR-A850 full-frame digital SLR: Digital Photography Review
08-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Samsungian,

You seem to know a lot about Cannon cameras. Here's my question, my understanding is you can use K mount lenses on them. How does that work and what are the drawbacks.

Thanks!
08-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(searches for throw up smiley)

Attached Images

08-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Man. Sony might get quite a bit of attention. With the 5D mark II priced at $3500 and the A850 priced $1500 less, there will be a lot of users switching over from all SORTS of systems.

The A550 and A500 also seem good too.

hmm...

If the IQ is good and the feel of the A550 is good, bye bye Pentax.
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #6

I dunno, I think it is VERY ugly, and $2,000 is way more than I want to spend on a camera, especially when Sony lenses are so expensive.

When the K7 comes down to $1,000 I will get it, but that is my upper limit for cameras right now.
08-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
I dunno, I think it is VERY ugly, and $2,000 is way more than I want to spend on a camera, especially when Sony lenses are so expensive.

When the K7 comes down to $1,000 I will get it, but that is my upper limit for cameras right now.
You can always get third party lenses. And not ALL of Sony lenses are expensive.

Plus, it doesn't matter if it is ugly or not. I mean, your face is covering the back, and a lens covering 50% of the front, and your hand covering the other 30% of the front.

Of course, the dream of having the limiteds keeps me here. Sigh*

08-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

DPR states $2000 for body only and $2800 with lens. That is not a bad price.
I wonder if people realise all the other stuff they need to upgrade by getting a FF.... personally i would need more HD space and probably a faster computer. You'd need bigger CF cards too. It would end up quite expensive.

Anyway, I applaud what they are doing. Afforadable FF with no gimmicks. A photgraphers camera. No movie mode.

I'd love to see a k7 for sale with 3fps, no movie mode, no 1/8000 but in the same body with the same controls at 2/3 of the price. I would not buy it as i need the FPS etc but i'm sure it would entice a lot of people.

mike
08-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've looked at files from the a900 w/Zeiss24-70. They are very good. *Very* good. BUT, the camera is huge compared to the K20d (and hence even bigger than the K7), and the Zeiss glass is $$$ and big/heavy. The a850 is the same body with a cheaper viewfinder and less fps (the latter doesn't mean much to me). They have a 24-70/2.8 lens coming out that will be around $800 so that will be competitive. But it still will be a rather large rig to haul around. And the thinner DOF is a hindrance to shooting street at least for someone lazy like me. I love fast glass and hi iso, but a smaller sensor lets you get away with more margin for error. Tradeoffs...

I just hate Sony and generally avoid their products. They get some things right and other things wrong (like anyone else). I'll bet the a550 isn't nearly as nice a build quality as the K7 but time will tell. In the end every product is flawed in some way and you have to compromise. And if all other things are equal, I'd rather give my money to an underdog like Pentax than the borg that is Sony.

Not rational perhaps, but I never claimed to be. Rational that is...
08-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
DPR states $2000 for body only and $2800 with lens. That is not a bad price.
I wonder if people realise all the other stuff they need to upgrade by getting a FF.... personally i would need more HD space and probably a faster computer. You'd need bigger CF cards too. It would end up quite expensive.

Anyway, I applaud what they are doing. Afforadable FF with no gimmicks. A photgraphers camera. No movie mode.

I'd love to see a k7 for sale with 3fps, no movie mode, no 1/8000 but in the same body with the same controls at 2/3 of the price. I would not buy it as i need the FPS etc but i'm sure it would entice a lot of people.

mike
I can imagine Pentax making a K300D or K30D soon, very similar to what the A500 and A550 are doing except with weather sealing (doubt the K30D will have 5fps).

I also read about the articles more. The A550 can achieve 7 frames per second...
08-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think that the selling point of the Sony A850 is it's 24mp sensor. other than that, it is still an enigma as to what this camera is capable of. but definitely it would need an expensive Zeiss lens. it's possible that it could kick the D700 out of oblivion.
08-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I've looked at files from the a900 w/Zeiss24-70. They are very good. *Very* good. BUT, the camera is huge compared to the K20d (and hence even bigger than the K7), and the Zeiss glass is $$$ and big/heavy. The a850 is the same body with a cheaper viewfinder and less fps (the latter doesn't mean much to me). They have a 24-70/2.8 lens coming out that will be around $800 so that will be competitive. But it still will be a rather large rig to haul around. And the thinner DOF is a hindrance to shooting street at least for someone lazy like me. I love fast glass and hi iso, but a smaller sensor lets you get away with more margin for error. Tradeoffs...

I just hate Sony and generally avoid their products. They get some things right and other things wrong (like anyone else). I'll bet the a550 isn't nearly as nice a build quality as the K7 but time will tell. In the end every product is flawed in some way and you have to compromise. And if all other things are equal, I'd rather give my money to an underdog like Pentax than the borg that is Sony.

Not rational perhaps, but I never claimed to be. Rational that is...
well I can agree with the avoiding Sony products --- I have had many of the Sony consumer stuff fail before they should have -- two television sets, an LCD computer monitor, a digital point and shoot, and other consumer items. So I am with you on this one, I avoid Sony products all together. Maybe I am like you and also an irrational consumer.

kman
08-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yay, switch to Sony people, switch!
More chance of a cheap 2nd hand K7 and cheap 2nd hand Pentax lenses for me!
08-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You use K Mount on eos full frame but...

You can use K Mount on eos full frame but...to use Pentax lenses on full frame you must perform a "leverectomy"

Which I find foolish. Why grind or cut off the aperture levers and shield off a perfectly good pentax lens? But I read of many who do at fredmiranda alternate gear forum. Popular pentax leverectomys are SMC 200mm 2.5 , F 300mm f4.5 , 85mm 1.4 SMC-A , all film era FA Limiteds like the 77mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2 SMC-A, ouch ouch ouch!!!! I'd never do that, it just seems very wrong.

However if one wanted to use Canon aps-c instead of Pentax aps-c then no leverectomy is required. Big mirror requires clearence that the small mirror does not. But I'd say Pentax aps-c is better to use pentax glass with than a canon aps-c so its a pointless to buy a crop canon to use Pentax K Mount glass with. Now screw mount is another thing entirely. No mods on any canon bods and put an adapter on each m42 and you magically make it bayonet onto eos. Simplier to use instead of screwing and screwing and screwing on the lens. Adapters run about $7.50 each.

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Samsungian,

You seem to know a lot about Cannon cameras. Here's my question, my understanding is you can use K mount lenses on them. How does that work and what are the drawbacks.

Thanks!
08-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Good for Sony, coming out with this.

True, it's an ugly beast, but I don't really care if a camera is pretty or not. It'll put pressure on Canon & Nikon and in the end, it's going to get photographers to part with some of their coin.

If/when Pentax comes up with FF I might consider, but for the time being, I'm glad to see the price of FF come down a certain amount.

It only helps when we have choices in the tools we can use.