Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
You can use K Mount on eos full frame but...to use Pentax lenses on full frame you must perform a "leverectomy"

Which I find foolish. Why grind or cut off the aperture levers and shield off a perfectly good pentax lens? But I read of many who do at fredmiranda alternate gear forum. Popular pentax leverectomys are SMC 200mm 2.5 , F 300mm f4.5 , 85mm 1.4 SMC-A , all film era FA Limiteds like the 77mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2 SMC-A, ouch ouch ouch!!!! I'd never do that, it just seems very wrong.

However if one wanted to use Canon aps-c instead of Pentax aps-c then no leverectomy is required. Big mirror requires clearence that the small mirror does not. But I'd say Pentax aps-c is better to use pentax glass with than a canon aps-c so its a pointless to buy a crop canon to use Pentax K Mount glass with. Now screw mount is another thing entirely. No mods on any canon bods and put an adapter on each m42 and you magically make it bayonet onto eos. Simplier to use instead of screwing and screwing and screwing on the lens. Adapters run about $7.50 each.
I'm no expert on this matter by any means, but I did at one time look into the possibility of obtaining a Canon for FullFrame shooting with my Takumars. Heading over to a couple of Canon forum sites, where I correctly figured I would encounter a few like-minded shooters, I found out that some Pentax glass loving Canon users who used many Pentax lenses actually shaved down the mirrors on their Canons to accommodate these lenses as an alternative to altering each individual lens. If I recall correctly, not all Canon bodies have this problem. The only bodies I was looking into were the cheapest Full Frames, the 5D. Apparently, the original 5D has this problem, while the newer 5D ll doesn't.

08-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I'd be sorely tempted, I was very impressed with the A900 and it seems like this is effectively the same camera (I wouldn't miss A900 frame-rate, i mean gees, i shoot pentax).

The sensor, processor, body/sealing and CZ/G lenses are the same, and that's what impressed me with the A900 from reviews i read and plays I had in-store.

That said, I love my Pentax glass, like my K20D and lust after the compactness of the K-7, so for me Pentax is fine Although if I could afford two systems, who knows...
08-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This camera is aimed directly against the 5d mk2, while the mk1 did break the $2000 barrier this is the first ff released at that level, in the studio it will rule but it's low light ( unless they fix that from the A900 ) will not be up to other FF, tho not all users need good hi iso.

So if your a studio shooter or landscaper, this is your dream affordable ff cam, now the glass is another matter.
08-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
This camera is aimed directly against the 5d mk2.
I don't think the new camera is aimed at the 5D MkII at all. The similarity between the A900 and A850 specs make me think that the current A900 will be discontinued; they're simply to close to justify the extra cost when all you're really getting is faster fps.

So I think a new A950 (or whatever) will be released soon, probably with video and improved ISO, that will directly compete with the MkII on price and specs.

The A850 is basically making a whole new market segment. Uncomparable to the D300/K-7/top-end-APS bodies because of the cost of a full lens system, but still significantly cheaper than existing 'enthusiast' full frame models.

Significantly, I think it's this between-the-two market segment that Pentax could thrive in with a compact, enthusiast FF body, without having to compete with the full-professionl Canon/Nikon systems.

08-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
I dunno, I think it is VERY ugly, and $2,000 is way more than I want to spend on a camera, especially when Sony lenses are so expensive.

When the K7 comes down to $1,000 I will get it, but that is my upper limit for cameras right now.
You know, it's a camera and not a fashion accessory.

And as to the OP: You're right, who would possible want a 25MP FF camera with Zeiss glass... ugh, how horrible.
08-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
They have a 24-70/2.8 lens coming out that will be around $800 so that will be competitive.
As I can remember, the old KM 24-70 f2.8 was only around $350. This lense is almost identical except the SAM in lense motor which is not even an ultrasonic motor like its SSM lens.
08-28-2009, 03:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Samsungian,

Thanks for the reply on the Cannon camera. I'm particularly interested in the new camera they are about to announce. I've been holding off on the K7. That said I have a lot of $ invested in Pentax lenses, which is OK since I still shoot film (in fact I'm looking around to find a good deal on a 645N/scanner because I like medium format so much). I thought I read yesterday that the new Cannon was an aps-c anyway. That cameras specificatons sounded particularly interesting if they are correct. I do have quite a few M42's. I am particularly fond of my Russian lenses.

I'm going to price some Cannon lenses today to see if it's worth it.

Thanks again!!

08-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

stanleyk: nobody knows what Canon is about to release (if anything) -- Samsungian doesn't, Canonrumors don't. We'll know once they do make an official statement.

The M42s will mount fine on the Canon bodies just like on Pentax.
08-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thats certainly possible

5D owners on fredmiranda do shave their mirrors ,I see for m42 also, and for Minolta Rokkors too. I don't own any screw mount lenses, handled a couple in the local store and bought a $7.50 m42 to eos mount adapter. I've used OM Oly glass and Nikon glass on 5D without shaving. Its a handy alternate glass body platform. Set camera on AV mode and as you dial the lens aperture open or close it down the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed.

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I'm no expert on this matter by any means, but I did at one time look into the possibility of obtaining a Canon for FullFrame shooting with my Takumars. Heading over to a couple of Canon forum sites, where I correctly figured I would encounter a few like-minded shooters, I found out that some Pentax glass loving Canon users who used many Pentax lenses actually shaved down the mirrors on their Canons to accommodate these lenses as an alternative to altering each individual lens. If I recall correctly, not all Canon bodies have this problem. The only bodies I was looking into were the cheapest Full Frames, the 5D. Apparently, the original 5D has this problem, while the newer 5D ll doesn't.
08-28-2009, 04:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

official statement due on sept 1st

Rumours are fun. Some actually do flesh out as facts. I think 7D is real and its aps-c dual card slot semi pro dslr. But its just a rumour for now. Canon however does like to announce new gear in August and September so...

something new is likely due

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
stanleyk: nobody knows what Canon is about to release (if anything) -- Samsungian doesn't, Canonrumors don't. We'll know once they do make an official statement.

The M42s will mount fine on the Canon bodies just like on Pentax.
08-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #26
Inactive Account

yep. september 1 is just around the corner.

a few more days and canon announces new stuff.

if the 7d is real, this may bring down the price of the k-7 a tad. good for those waiting for a price drop like me .

as for the a850, different segments.
08-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
You know, it's a camera and not a fashion accessory.

And as to the OP: You're right, who would possible want a 25MP FF camera with Zeiss glass... ugh, how horrible.
no its not. but aesthetics certainly do play a roll. do they matter to me? no, at least not when it come to actually using the thing. but looks aside, its unruly. its too big. too heavy and the ergonomics are so bad I cant even stand to look at it much less use it. this is of course based on my time testing the a900. sony has the money to pack all sorts of 'pro' goodies in their cameras. they have a partnership with Zeiss. but they are flat terrible at designing a camera body. this of course is where them being a consumer electronics company and not a camera company really shows.
08-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Funny you should say that -- quite a few people I've talked to who have used the A900 comment on how much they like the ergonomics and controls. I think a lot of us get used to a certain type of controls (e.g. Pentax or Nikon) and without extensive use of a different camera it'll feel "wrong". I wasn't very fond of the 1Ds II controls initially, but now I get annoyed whenever I use a camera that doesn't have them...
08-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #29

As a Minolta convert, I'm glad to see quite a few people here honestly appreciating the a850. I left when Sony took over, but it looks like Sony is doing some good things. As for controls/ergonomics, yes, they are subjective, but Sony has largely kept Minolta's focus on accessibility of operation, which I would think Pentax shooters would appreciate. As some have written, this is definitely a photographer's camera. I'm pleasantly surprised at Sony's approach--although I wish Minolta would have hung in there to continue the line themselves.
08-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
As a Minolta convert, I'm glad to see quite a few people here honestly appreciating the a850. I left when Sony took over, but it looks like Sony is doing some good things. As for controls/ergonomics, yes, they are subjective, but Sony has largely kept Minolta's focus on accessibility of operation, which I would think Pentax shooters would appreciate. As some have written, this is definitely a photographer's camera. I'm pleasantly surprised at Sony's approach--although I wish Minolta would have hung in there to continue the line themselves.
I think that the control setup on Sony and Minolta is quite a bit different from Pentax. Didn't the Minolta 7D have more buttons and knobs than any DSLR? I personally like having buttons and dials all over the place, but Pentax tends to have a slightly more "clean" layout which a lot of people prefer.