Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Remorse?

Man - Sony has given me pause over my recent commitment to the Pentax line, especially with the better live view and semi-articulated LCD. I've been struggling to adapt to viewfinder composing. Really got spoiled by full time live view and articulated LCD composing on my chintzy little Panasonic FZ50. Viewfinder composing is inherently more limited, since your hands enjoy more freedom of movement than your eyes. But I decided to go for the best IQ/Price ratio I could, and Pentax won that race when the K20d hit $629 on Amazon.

08-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
well I can agree with the avoiding Sony products --- I have had many of the Sony consumer stuff fail before they should have -- two television sets, an LCD computer monitor, a digital point and shoot, and other consumer items. So I am with you on this one, I avoid Sony products all together. Maybe I am like you and also an irrational consumer.

kman
I recall the flap when Sony music had a bit of malware that installed itself on your computer when you played a CD - they called it Digital Rights Management, but it took control of an internet Port and phoned home a lot.

I haven't bought anything of theirs - including media - since.

Arrogant B******s
08-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #48
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I recall the flap when Sony music had a bit of malware that installed itself on your computer when you played a CD - they called it Digital Rights Management, but it took control of an internet Port and phoned home a lot.

Arrogant B******s

I think this is the exact sentiment far too many people have in regards to Sony for them to ever be as successful as they'd like to be. of course there are a lot of fanboys who will buy something just because its sony. case in point, a co-worker of mine who has said for a while that he'd like to get, what he calls a 'serious camera' despite knowing nothing about photography or even owning a camera at all. and is already drooling over the Sony a900 for no other reason than because its Sony. he wont even look at Nikon, Pentax, Canon, Olympus, etc. he believes Sony is the best at everything, period. and can do no wrong. this unfortunately is not an exaggeration. and im willing to bet there are plenty of people just like him out there who will be willing to drop serious cash for the 'Sony'. and of course the bragging rights for Zeiss lens that they dont really know how to use. just what Sony wants.
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #49
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, at the end of the day did the equipment produce what you wanted??
if it did then that is all that matters -- no matter which brand of photo equipment

Kman
Back to a response to the original post... Kman, *if* you do switch over to Sony's FF serving, would you please keep us here on the forum posted with your impressions and sample images from the cam.

I personally have no desire to switch systems just for FF, but want to see their results.
Cheers mate.

08-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Back to a response to the original post... Kman, *if* you do switch over to Sony's FF serving, would you please keep us here on the forum posted with your impressions and sample images from the cam.

I personally have no desire to switch systems just for FF, but want to see their results.
Cheers mate.
I think he said he was kidding on his 2nd post.

Sony's new dSLRs look real nice. I actually think that Sony's lineup is really impressive, better than Canon/Nikon in some respects (MEGAPIXELS FOR CHEAP (not $8000 D3X)
08-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #51
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I think he said he was kidding on his 2nd post.

Sony's new dSLRs look real nice. I actually think that Sony's lineup is really impressive, better than Canon/Nikon in some respects (MEGAPIXELS FOR CHEAP (not $8000 D3X)
if Canon and Nikon also manufactured sensors they'd be offering megapixel's for cheap as well. thats the advantage in being a consumer electronics company and not a camera company. similar to the advantage that Canon has over Nikon in being far more broad in product manufacture. Pentax and Nikon are far more alike than most peple know or are willing to admit. the difference is, of course than Nikon has been doing better since the 80's. if not they could just as easily be where Pentax is now. there is a feeling of resentment for companies like Sony, and even to a good degree Canon because they just arent the same as a traditional camera and optics company like Nikon and Pentax. but nobody can argue the benefits (concerning digital cameras) of being more than that.
08-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #52

Original Poster

Cheers mate.

sorry if you misinterpreted me ---- but there is no switching on my part
I like my pentax stuff so I will not be able to supply you guys with Sony sample images

kman

Last edited by kmanlaker; 08-28-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
08-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #53
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No that's OK kman.
Just curious... I guess I can always lurk the Sony forums (if there are one) to check for myself.
APS-C is quite adequate, though the extra FOV would be handy... (for what, in our amateur hands, I dunno...)
08-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #54

Original Poster
No that's OK kman.
Just curious... I guess I can always lurk the Sony forums (if there are one) to check for myself.
APS-C is quite adequate, though the extra FOV would be handy... (for what, in our amateur hands, I dunno...)
i actually have no problem at all with the k7 and the limited line of DA lenses

you know I was thinking about this ---- Sony can price beat Canon and Nikon on the consumer end ( cheap DSLR's ) with a price loser product but I see Pentax becoming more of a boutique type company with high end primes, kick butt optics and only appealing to people to who know what quality really is ( ie Limited Primes which nikon, canon, or sony do not really have ) because if you are an experienced photographer you have already heard of pentax. What pentax needs to do is get the word better than they have been for the last couple of years to photographers who know what real quality is and not the mass market of Nikon Canon and now apparently Sony

kman
08-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I think this is the exact sentiment far too many people have in regards to Sony for them to ever be as successful as they'd like to be. of course there are a lot of fanboys who will buy something just because its sony. case in point, a co-worker of mine who has said for a while that he'd like to get, what he calls a 'serious camera' despite knowing nothing about photography or even owning a camera at all. and is already drooling over the Sony a900 for no other reason than because its Sony. he wont even look at Nikon, Pentax, Canon, Olympus, etc. he believes Sony is the best at everything, period. and can do no wrong. this unfortunately is not an exaggeration. and im willing to bet there are plenty of people just like him out there who will be willing to drop serious cash for the 'Sony'. and of course the bragging rights for Zeiss lens that they dont really know how to use. just what Sony wants.
I could count one particular fella. and his pictures does still look mediocre, repetitive and doesn't know how to shoot under low-lights. probably his camera sucks or his skills as a photographer isn't that quite up by standards. and I don't think it would make any difference if he uses a Zeiss, a lens which he is unaware that existed for his beloved Sony cam.
08-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #56

Original Poster
i actually have no problem at all with the k7 and the limited line of DA lenses

you know I was thinking about this ---- Sony can price beat Canon and Nikon on the consumer end ( cheap DSLR's ) with a price loser product but I see Pentax becoming more of a boutique type company with high end primes, kick butt optics and only appealing to people to who know what quality really is ( ie Limited Primes which nikon, canon, or sony do not really have ) because if you are an experienced photographer you have already heard of pentax. What pentax needs to do is get the word better than they have been for the last couple of years to photographers who know what real quality is and not the mass market of Nikon Canon and now apparently Sony

kman
if I may add this ---- I have owned alot of photo lenses over the years ( 35 plus ) and there is only one lense that I ever regretted selling ( DA 50-135mm star ) and I am talking about alot of different lenses in that time period that I have owned. Consequently after selling my 50-135 DA last year I purchased a new one this month. this is the first time EVER that I re-purchased a particular lens. What does this mean --- you decide for yourself, but for me it signals the pentax glass is very good indeed. Full frame or not, i think my pentax equipment is very good indeed and for me it works

Kman
08-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #57
Veteran Member

all my Pentax and Nikon stuff is going up on the auction block.
Today was the last straw with the new Sony 850 full frame for only $2000.
And I was going to order a 15mm DA LTD in next few weeks. I know if I do this then all of my photos will look much better with the full frame Sony. They have to because only full frame DSLR's can take good photos --- that what all of the people in the know say on the internet. So while I may like the K7 and the fabulous Limited lenses they must now be sold to pay for the $2000 Sony.

oops, I just came to senses again. wait a minute Sony does not have LTD primes

this is a joke of course -- I am only joking, but I am sure there are some folks who will do this

Kman
With all due respect, I fail to understand your 'joke'. This sounds kind of fanboyee on your part and there is little worse than fanboyism.

This Sony camera actually seems to offer a hell of a lot for the price. And it includes a number of pro-like features (which is more than any current Pentax camera offers).

Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to be implying that anyone who abandons Pentax for this camera is foolish. If that is what you are implying than I must say that you are silly and naive (of course, with all due respect ).

As to whether or not I will entertain the idea of purchasing this camera, I shall await the unbiased reviews.

initial reviews
08-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
You can always get third party lenses. And not ALL of Sony lenses are expensive.

Plus, it doesn't matter if it is ugly or not. I mean, your face is covering the back, and a lens covering 50% of the front, and your hand covering the other 30% of the front.

Of course, the dream of having the limiteds keeps me here. Sigh*
Actually, if Sony still employs the Minolta Maxxum mount (can anyone confirm this?), there is a Minolta to PK/M adaptor available. You won't have auto-focus but who cares!

You can have your cake and eat it too!
08-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

I just hate Sony and generally avoid their products. They get some things right and other things wrong (like anyone else). I'll bet the a550 isn't nearly as nice a build quality as the K7 but time will tell. In the end every product is flawed in some way and you have to compromise. And if all other things are equal, I'd rather give my money to an underdog like Pentax than the borg that is Sony.

Not rational perhaps, but I never claimed to be. Rational that is...
Well, you are exactly right... that isn't very rational.

How is it exactly that you can compare Sony to a Borg but Pentax is an underdog?

Just because a company is at the bottom in sales doesn't necessarily make them an underdog. Using the term 'underdog' implies that Pentax is at a disadvantage and their failure is imminent. Hmm... perhaps you didn't fully understand its meaning, considering you champion Pentax quite often.

Actually, in many ways Pentax's parent company Hoya is every bit the corporate 'pirate' as Sony is. There is no good guy - bad guy here! However, I am willing to bet that Sony's number of innovations trump Pentax's.

It's all good... I haven't picked on you in a while... SMILE!
08-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Arrogant B******s
Uh.... FYI, Sony Music and Sony Digital Imaging are virtually separate entities. They little else but their name.

Similarly, I am not trying to judge all of Pentax because I just dealt with the rudest, jacka$$ Pentax representative imaginable just recently.