Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For architecture and textures - FF will be better. But it's hard to get razor sharp picture from 24 MP FF like 10 MP APS-C can.

08-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

DXO Labs had some interesting things to say about how NR works in the A850:

DxOMark review for the Sony Alpha 850

and here's the full image quality technical report for the A850:

Alpha 850

Unfortunately DXO Labs have tested all three of the new Sony's, but have yet to do the K7.
08-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mistergee Quote
Same Imaging Resource "Comparometer" page as the original post.

Select the cameras and choose pictures from dropdown list.

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
thanks, btw I can't seem to find where you've got that cropped image comparison at image-resource.
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mistergee Quote
Yet other comparison pictures tell a different story.
Sony on the left, K-7 on right.
I think you would be better served by comparing the centers of the frame instead of near the edges where lens resolution falls off. I think that this would give you a better idea of what each body/sensor can do at its best.

just my .02

Scott

08-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #20

Pentax K-7 on the Left <=> Sony A850 on the Right

ISO 6400

They both look pretty bad, but if I had to pick I'd probably go with the K-7.
Attached Images

08-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #21

jacksonpritt Pentax K-7 on the Left <=> Sony A850 on the Right

ISO 800

The Shot from the K-7 is sharper and the A850 is looking kind of soft, but there's more noticeable noise in the dark areas in the K-7 shot.
Attached Images

08-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did they shoot posters or actual 3D objects? If the latter, the tests were not fair because both were done at f8 while FF has shallower DOF. Also, lens quality varies. Any tests are actually testing camera+lens, not just the camera.

08-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
Forum Member

I've found the Imaging Resources photo comparisons to be too variable and inconsistent to provide meaningful results. I don't own either camera, so I have nothing to gain by that statement.
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #24

I agree about the variables but I am still very happy that the K20D looks so good compared to many of the others! LOL
The agony of waiting for the delivery....
08-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
Pentax K-7 on the Left <=> Sony A850 on the Right

ISO 6400

They both look pretty bad, but if I had to pick I'd probably go with the K-7.
I'll take those strings (yarn? thread?) from the Sony over the K7. But the Sony does come off pretty bad in the OP's image. I'm in the camp that ends up feeling that these kinds of comparisons aren't all that useful (especially with different or, worse, unknown lenses). As soon as someone throws up an image that shows one camera's superiority, someone else throws up equally compelling evidence to the contrary. This is why I don't consider IQ-above-all as my buying philosophy. But I have to admit that I'm always drawn to these threads. It's sort of like watching a tennis match. Maybe reality TV. I don't like to admit that I watch them.
08-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I think you would be better served by comparing the centers of the frame instead of near the edges where lens resolution falls off. I think that this would give you a better idea of what each body/sensor can do at its best.

just my .02

Scott
Off at the edges, the resolution , good or bad, is simply dependent on the quality of the lens, even individual variation between lenses of the same type.
Comparing the centres of the frame is a better match in terms of looking at the sensor capability.

The Sony's chroma (colour) noise at ISO6400 definitely looks worse - there are blotches of red noise on the black bottle cap. Then again, we already know the K-7 has very good chroma noise control from previous testing. Good to see the K-7 can hold itself up against a Full Frame camera costing (?) quite a bit more even for a "budget" FF.

Last edited by kittykat46; 08-28-2009 at 07:43 PM.
08-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
The image speaks for itself.

I'd never buy a Sony digicam always found them to be overpriced and underperforming, yet people buy them because "It's a sony!"

I remember when I use to work in electrical retail I this burly mean looking guy come in wanting a Sony sound system, I asked him "Why not something better?" he goes "What's better than Sony?" I go "Oh well Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, etc" He looked at my confused and puzzled.
OMG! Please stop with this comparometer stuff!

The comparison images prove very little, if anything at all.

I swear, some of you people go at this with a disturbing religious zeal, looking for anything that will prove that your Camera is better than another.

You are not comparing apples to apples here. Many of the images on Comparometer use dissimilar lenses, lens focal length (or magnification), lighting is sometime different, camera angle, exposure parameters, camera settings, lens aperture settings, white balance, and the list go on....

The above posted comparison photos should do nothing more than prove my point. Citing any example on this site to 'prove' your camera is better just makes you look foolish!

Sorry, no offence intended to C.W Tsorotes or anyone else that fell into this trap.

08-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Off at the edges, the resolution , good or bad, is simply dependent on the quality of the lens, even individual variation between lenses of the same type.
Comparing the centres of the frame is a better match in terms of looking at the sensor capability.

The Sony's chroma (colour) noise at ISO6400 definitely looks worse - there are blotches of red noise on the black bottle cap. Then again, we already know the K-7 has very good chroma noise control from previous testing. Good to see the K-7 can hold itself up against a Full Frame camera costing (?) quite a bit more even for a "budget" FF.
Or it could be a focus or depth of field setting. Chroma can be controlled by camera NR settings. The most appropriate NR settings on the K7 may even beat the best DSLR in the world is it's camera settings are sub-optimal.

That's why Comparometer is useless UNLESS all criteria are carefully matched up (which is nearly impossible to accomplish).
08-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I swear, some of you people go at this with a disturbing religious zeal, looking for anything that will prove that your Camera is better than another.
+1.
There's an awful lot of that about. Often evidence is discarded if it gets in the way of zeal too, I've noticed.
08-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #30

Which is the point I tried to bring up when I mentioned how my K20D was looking pretty much better than anything else. As much as I want that to be a reality, I know it cannot be true.

Last edited by shaolin95; 08-29-2009 at 08:49 AM.