Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #1

Pentax...I am pretty impressed.

I have to say...I bought my K10D because of the value for the money and features, but generally I am a Nikon fan and have been since the early 80's. While driving home after buying the K10D I had a thought...what did I just do? I should of bought another Nikon.

But that was the devil talking!

I have been doing a little work with it over the last few days and I am very impressed with it. But what really impresses me are the beautiful images I am seeing many Pentax owners getting. Not just with the K10D, but K100D and istD. Something about Pentax glass and programming makes a great base for images.

I see zero reason why a person cannot create images equal or better then someone with a Nikon, Canon or a Leica. The only reason to choose the other ones are for items Pentax just does not make, or if your shooting style or job demands something like the Canon 1D MkIII...like a professional sports photographer etc. But I could see model, product, architecture, nature (birding might need a better focus tracking), fine art, wedding and numerous other photo assignments carried out with a Pentax.

I am very glad I gave Pentax a try...

05-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
welcome aboard. glad to here you are enjoying your new K10
05-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #3

Yeah, welcome. Nice website, by the way! (Yours)
Rob W
05-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi...

Welcome to one of the best Forums on the Planet...

Ben

05-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey dwinnert. Glad to have you on board and to know that you're one of many having fun with your camera!
05-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #6

Nice to have your input Dave, makes me feel a little less nervous about the K10D I just ordered, and am waiting for the UPS truck to drop it off.
05-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AZ85248 Quote
Nice to have your input Dave, makes me feel a little less nervous about the K10D I just ordered, and am waiting for the UPS truck to drop it off.
You'll have fun - be sure of that! A welcome to you as well
05-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #8

Welcome. I think that there are quite a few who have felt the same feelings that you felt for not choosing the main players (ie, canon and nikon). Only to become pleasantly surprised with the quality of Pentax.

In general the smaller manufacturers are more inventive, Pentax K10D is a bargain.

05-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the pentax gang.

It was the quality of pentax photos that lure me in first place

p.s. now let's wait for D645 to be officially released ... Sure the quality will be better or as amazing as k10d
05-18-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Welcome to the Dark side Dave. I have always shot Pentax (I have used Cannon and NiKon ) But Pentax Glass is by far the best glass in the world and I figured why switch.

Enjoy your new K10D and show us some of the shots you take here on the forum.
05-18-2007, 04:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I can't hold this back any longer.

I had no idea Pentax was considered a low-rent also-ran until I joined this forum. I had always thought it one of the major players, at least co-equal with Canon and Nikon.
05-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I had no idea Pentax was considered a low-rent also-ran until I joined this forum. I had always thought it one of the major players, at least co-equal with Canon and Nikon.
Same here - until I started visiting dpreview, I'd always thought of Pentax as a small but significant player. Not a big name, but well regarded. I've never had anyone put down the brand at a camera store, or try to sell me something else. I suppose if I went in and said "I want a dSLR, I know nothing, what should I get?" they'd try to sell me Canon or Nikon. But when I was shopping cameras, and mentioned I had a couple Pentax film bodies and a few lenses, the sales guy said "Oh, you can use those lenses on the new digitals." Yes, he sold me a DL, but he did himself out of a lot of lens sales had I got something else for which I had no lenses!

Julie
05-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has always been a well regarded camera company, right up until digital took off. It got on board a little late and lost a lot of ground in the beginning. It has more than made up for it, but the reputation takes time to overcome.

In the "old" days Pentax was a major player. At one time it was among the best selling brands, even having the best selling SLR of all time - the K1000. Most of the photos you see of Vietnam were shot on the Pentax Spotmatic, one of the most popular cameras of it's day.

Pentax was the first Japanese company to make SLRs, they invented TTL metering, they invented auto focus, and they still have the best glass coating system on the planet. Pentax's contributions to the camera industry have been overlooked, and it is sad. Most of what comes standard in a camera for the last 20 years came from Pentax.
05-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. Although we all know that Pentax equipment is first rate, the pictures that you have posted show that it's the photographer that counts in the end.
05-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Very happy to have you on board, Dave. This forum just keeps getting better.

Mike