Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #1

Spotmatic -> K7

Hi all,
I'm trying to select my first DSLR after having shot film for the last 45 years. I have a small collection of Taks and had hoped that I could carry my old lenses with me and forego AF, and meter pretty much as before. Surely not asking too much?

My (known) concerns are:
1) No proper manual focus screen. The Katz Eye has a split screen and I've never liked nor used one because I dislike the "blackout". What other options do I have and can I achieve this without affecting concern 2?

2) Correct metering on old manual lenses seems to be compromised, why is this and can I fix it so that I get it at least as accurate as my old spotties?

I'm not interested in video, LV etc. I just want to move to digital and get results similar to film with the same ease as before. I'm prepared to pay for what I want but is the K7 it or should I wait longer?

Can I buy a modern camera yet that will do the basics as well as 40+ year old film cameras?

Thanks for your advice.
Phil

08-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You should buy that manual focus K20D that one of the members here got stuck with... might suit you well

I'm not sure how much better the spotties are as far as "blackout" goes, but my ME super isnt all that much better than my k100D + Chinese screen in resisting blackout. There are no digital bodies with open aperture metering with takumars and you just gotta deal with that...

I think as far as correct metering goes, k20D and K-7 already has it as good as you can get. You lose spot metering with split screens but you probably already know that.

You might want to look at Canon 5D as well as a digital screwmount machine, so that you can keep the original tak FOVs. The drawback is that it isn't sealed and no Shake reduction, and I don't know whether it has katzeye available for it.
08-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by _phil_ Quote
Hi all,
I'm trying to select my first DSLR after having shot film for the last 45 years. I have a small collection of Taks and had hoped that I could carry my old lenses with me and forego AF, and meter pretty much as before. Surely not asking too much?

My (known) concerns are:
1) No proper manual focus screen. The Katz Eye has a split screen and I've never liked nor used one because I dislike the "blackout". What other options do I have and can I achieve this without affecting concern 2?

2) Correct metering on old manual lenses seems to be compromised, why is this and can I fix it so that I get it at least as accurate as my old spotties?

I'm not interested in video, LV etc. I just want to move to digital and get results similar to film with the same ease as before. I'm prepared to pay for what I want but is the K7 it or should I wait longer?

Can I buy a modern camera yet that will do the basics as well as 40+ year old film cameras?

Thanks for your advice.
Phil
I can't say anything bad about spotties, but if you are really curios about the K-7, I advice you to go to a camera store bringing along your Taks and other old lenses and try them with the K-7. if it works out well and you liked what you see, then behold, WELCOME FELLOW K-7 Owner !!!
08-29-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi all,

My (known) concerns are:

Thanks for your advice.
Phil
I shoot exclusively with M42 screwmount Takumars & early manual P/K mount Pentax lenses. According to the Katz-Eye website, they have solved that age old blackout problem that has plagued split screen focusing. Consequently, I just ordered one of their screens for my DSLR. I'll let you know how if this is so when I install it.
As far as the metering goes, it doesn't seem to be that accurate on any DSLR without a bit of fiddling, & not consistently, individual lenses reacting differently than others. This is how it is with my cameras (*ist DS) &, from what I gather reading other forum discussions on the matter, is more or less the case with the other models as well. Consequently (I know this method isn't for everyone), I take readings the old fashioned way, with hand held meters. Most others seem to make do by adjusting their readings with a little experimentation, helped out by the histogram display.

08-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A K10/K20D and the Katzeye should get you very close to what you hope to achieve
08-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I shoot exclusively with M42 screwmount Takumars & early manual P/K mount Pentax lenses. According to the Katz-Eye website, they have solved that age old blackout problem that has plagued split screen focusing. Consequently, I just ordered one of their screens for my DSLR. I'll let you know how if this is so when I install it.
As far as the metering goes, it doesn't seem to be that accurate on any DSLR without a bit of fiddling, & not consistently, individual lenses reacting differently than others. This is how it is with my cameras (*ist DS) &, from what I gather reading other forum discussions on the matter, is more or less the case with the other models as well. Consequently (I know this method isn't for everyone), I take readings the old fashioned way, with hand held meters. Most others seem to make do by adjusting their readings with a little experimentation, helped out by the histogram display.
I will echo most of this.

I also use Takumars on my digitals (K110D, K-m, *istD) I use a split-image with micro-prism collar from focusing-screen.com in my istD and a katzeye in the k-m. I find that metering with my istD is spot on 99% of the time, without any adjustments (using Av) with my other bodies its accurate maybe 70% of the time at best. (I believe this is improved with the K-7) the thing with using m42 lenses is the loss of open aperture metering and focusing (unless you only use your lenses wide open). you can use Av with the lens set to manual but you would have to focus wide open and then stop down for metering or use them in M mode and use the green button to do a quick meter (non-continuous, unlike Av). so no, it wont be quite as efficient as using them on your Spotmatic, but with a little practice you can get the whole dance down to a science that you can implement like second nature. as a bonus you can use those Takumars to make videos... bet you never would have imagined them being used for that huh?

I personally don't think the manual glass on a digital body will be the biggest hurdle for you, I think going from a manual focus 35mm viewfinder to an APS-C AF viewfinder will be.
08-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also, no matter what your metering & focusing practices are, you have to stop down to shoot. Sounds a little cumbersome, but not such a big deal in practice once you become accustomed to the routine. It's funny how sometimes the old becomes new again..... because you have to stop down to shoot after focusing wide open, the earlier Pre-set Takumars are now more convenient to use in this manner than the newer Super & Super-Multi-Coated Takumars. To this end, I've begun collecting these.... I recently acquired the 200mm f:5.6 & the 50mm f:4 1:1 Macro..... & just missed out on a beautiful 135mm by bidding too low.

08-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Banned

Also, no matter what your metering & focusing practices are, you have to stop down to shoot. Sounds a little cumbersome, but not such a big deal in practice once you become accustomed to the routine. It's funny how sometimes the old becomes new again..... because you have to stop down to shoot after focusing wide open, the earlier Pre-set Takumars are now more convenient to use in this manner than the newer Super & Super-Multi-Coated Takumars. To this end, I've begun collecting these.... I recently acquired the 200mm f:5.6 & the 50mm f:4 1:1 Macro..... & just missed out on a beautiful 135mm by bidding too low.

I actually quite like the "semi-auto" auto-takumars. my prest macro-takumar 50 is my baby, without a doubt, (it isnt my first love of course, as that would be the 55 1.8) but these autos are a real treat. I just got an auto 55/2 with the matching 46mm 2-piece hood.... wow... its an incredible little lens. and I do mean little. fits nicely on the istD though.
08-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
it isnt my first love of course, as that would be the 55 1.8
My favorite also..... I have 3 Supers & 2 Super-Multi-Coated Takumars(one with the classic metal focusing ring, one with the newer rubber) I also have the early P/K mount version.
08-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I actually quite like the "semi-auto" auto-takumars. but these autos are a real treat. I just got an auto 55/2 with the matching 46mm 2-piece hood.... wow... its an incredible little lens. and I do mean little. fits nicely on the istD though.
What is it about the Auto-Takumars that you like so much..... I've never owned one. (Please don't make them sound too enticing..... all I need right now is a further extension of my already out of control LBA)
08-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Banned

My favorite also..... I have 3 Supers & 2 Super-Multi-Coated Takumars(one with the classic metal focusing ring, one with the newer rubber) I also have the early P/K mount version.
Auto-Takumar 2/55
Auto-Takumar (Super) 1.8/55
Super-Takumar 1.8/55
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1.8/55
SMC Takumar 1.8/55
SMC Pentax 1.8/55

next up is the Auto-Takumar 1.8/55 (Zebra) and the Auto-Takumar 2.2/55. I would love to have that ultra rare Auto-Takumar 1.9/55. and of course the preset Takumar 1.8 and 2.2/55's.....

yea I have a problem.
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Banned

What is it about the Auto-Takumars that you like so much..... I've never owned one. (Please don't make them sound too enticing..... all I need right now is a further extension of my already out of control LBA)
I cant say for sure really, the mixture of the satin chrome alloy and black is really nice. the small form factor of the Takumar and Auto-Takumar's are also a real plus. 46mm and even 38mm for some of these. The aperture ring is also at the front instead of the back. beyond that I just really like the look. there is no 'window' like on later Takumars. they are the shifting point between the lens design that reflects the m37's of the Asahiflex and the standard (like that of the Super-Takumars) that became the Takumar mystique later on.

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html

Last edited by séamuis; 08-29-2009 at 11:32 AM.
08-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Banned

Hi all,

My (known) concerns are:

Thanks for your advice.
Phil
My first film SLR was the Canon Pellix QL w/ 58mm F1.2 in 1966 and I now have the K-7 that is a fun camera since you could use all of the old manual lenses just fine. It does everything the old SLRs did and added HDR mode and a myriad of other features.
08-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
My first film SLR was the Canon Pellix QL w/ 58mm F1.2 in 1966 and I now have the K-7 that is a fun camera since you could use all of the old manual lenses just fine. It does everything the old SLRs did and added HDR mode and a myriad of other features.
is your 2,350mm lens a telescope?
08-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For one thing, its the size. The auto-tak 35mm compared to the super tak makes the super tak look big even though they have the same optical formula.

The Auto-tak 35mm is front center-left and the Super tak 35 is front center-right. The DA 35mm is there on the right and a super tak 50mm f1.4 on the left. In the background is a Tamron adaptamatic 35mm f2.8 and a Soligor preset 35mm f2.8.

The auto-tak and super tak on the K200d.

Last edited by Blue; 08-29-2009 at 01:02 PM.