Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How would you change Pentax's K-7 DSLR?

An interesting question posted on another one of my favorite sites, feel free to chime in!

How would you change Pentax's K-7 DSLR?

08-29-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd make it cheaper.

Oh and while I was at it, I would make it bigger and smaller, for those with larger and smaller hands.
08-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would put in a sensor that could capture -2ev, 0ev, +2ev simultaneously and save it as separate RAW files for post processing. This would create a true high dynamic range camera with no movement (read blur) problems. A lower cost point for the body would be a plus for me as well being on a pension.
08-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Banned

I am waiting for the FF version with 1920x1080 HD mode like the Canon 5D Mark II while I have fun with the current K-7.

08-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would make all of the focus points visible through the view finder full time (on the mirror is fine as shown below). Like this:

That is one feature I genuinely miss in my K20D and it is also not on the K7. Without them being visible full time, it is near to impossible to keep on target for shots needing more precision with a shallow DOF. I find where I once needed a single shot I now need to take 3-5 shots just to be safe and reduce any need to re-shoot.
08-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on the mounted lens, I would like to have the rear screen display the Depth of Field, and hyperfocal distance information. Since this information is no longer etched as a vernier into the lens, it makes sense to display it in another manner.

I like the "capture -2ev, 0ev, +2ev simultaneously" idea. If this could be extended to focus also - say 3 to 5 focus planes (DOF or focus stacking), that would be very nice.

Some sort of workaround/solution for having to have the black frame subtraction would be great for my night photos (and doubling the time it takes).

Faster and more accurate auto focus. Yes, the K7 appears to be much better than the K20, there is still so much more that can be done here.

Expand the built in time-lapsed / intervalometer functionality.

On the live view provide a better set of grids.

Built-in motion detection - for catching lightening. I know that this might be difficult or impossible with the mirror box as opposed to a straight sensor design. This could be an extension to the liveview functionality.

With the advent of the netbooks, the Remote Assistant could certainly be improved - or better yet, make the USB API be open, so that a new class of remote software utilities can be made available by the open source community. This is one area where Pentax could excel with out spending really any money. This would possibly attract a wide range of folks who current focus is Canon. This could also be tied in with the black frame extraction, especially for multiple shots - let the netbook do it.

Also, with the advent of very large SD cards, place all the external connections (USB, aux power) on the right hand side with the memory card on the left hand side. the external shutter release was moved to the right hand side for the K7, and now makes it very convenient. This would certainly help with L plates and tripod mounts.

I liked that Pentax stopped adding MP (for the K7), and started working on aspects of auto focus and image quality items (ISO). Pentax needs to continue down this path.

Its not my intent to rile everyone up here, but to help attract non Pentax photographers to Pentax, offer a Canon or Nikon setup for JPG. This might also help the reviewers too...

08-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Dom

I'd buy a K20D.

08-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Banned

interchangeable (weather sealed) finders.
an un-crippled mount.
interchangeable grips ala the LX.
LX style strap lugs.
viewfinder blinds ala the ESII for tripod work.
a shutter button able to accept manual cable releases and 'soft touch' shutter releases.
the option to turn off the display (or certain parts of it) in the viewfinder.
dual SD card slots
and the option of a satin chrome of the magnesium body (can you chrome magnesium?)
08-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'd make it visable.....

Since it is in very few retail outlets in North America, I would scrap the "invisible" feature and make it appear where potential buyers could actually handle it and maybe take a test shot or two. No matter how perfect it is/isn't if it is not available for handling it is at a definite disadvantage.

If this ever happens, I might just buy one and then be able to give a better answer here.
Regards
Rupert
08-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Make the AF button more thumb friendly. It is a button that is constantly used, by me, but not in a very comfortable position. If Pentax were interested in action photography at all (which they may not be) I believe it's a must to shift the button to more like Canon and Nikon.
08-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1. Dual SD card slots (safety first)
2. Articulated LCD screen (a must have with video)
3. Stereo mic (there's room)
4. Lower price (there's room)
5. Indented lug straps (there's room)
08-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #12

Make it run on AA batteries

I'd lower its power consumption so it could run on AA batteries.
08-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Weather sealed lenses across the entire line up! Particulary the 10-17!

Oh... and 1 more vote for DOF and hyperfocal distances appearing on LCD screen.

And more AF points.

mike
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

First off I don't own a K-7, so I'm just going to participate on this thread for fun.

Use the researching used to add most of the built-in pp features such as HDR effect and replace it for something more useful such as higher hardware performance such as better ISO levels, more AF points. Add another SD card slot for dual SD card slot. Can't think of anything else at the moment, oh well, that's a good thing.
08-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

better AF and more AF points. it is not that the K-7 is not good, but making it better would be just much sweeter.

useable ISO 6400. wow !

improved built-in HDR processing. IQ HDR and 5-9 frames merging.

that's all that matters for me in an APS-C dslr. and I think it's also possible to have a fix or a firmware for these concerns.

please give us some sugar.