Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I'm not sure I understand. Why use manual? I use P mode, then adjust the rear e dial to get my aperture (hyper-program), the camera will adjust shutter speed for each shot to effect the bracket. Is this not what you are trying to accomplish?
In P mode (and Av mode), you are still at the mercy of the meter reading and its timer. For shooting panoramic HDR images, you want to be able to fix the aperture, ISO, and the shutter speed so that the stitching and merging software won't have to compensate for differences in depth of field, noise, and exposure between each frame. You can set the meter timer to 30 seconds and lock the exposure (a now 90 second delay), but if you aren't done with all your bracketed shots in each frame by then, the meter will likely change.

John

05-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #17

I agree with WMBP.

I use the bracketing function solely for HDR experiments. It's a very fast way of picking multiple exposures. Using Av mode and bracket 5 shots with +1 ev increments gets you very decent photos for use in HDR (be sure to shoot 5 raws tho). The good thing is you can just take the exposures after eachother with about 2 second intervals (the self-timer, used to steady the shot. Pressing the shutter moves the camera, even on a tripod!). It must be this fast, otherwise (for instance) clouds have moved quite a bit in the mean while. Inside churches e.d. this is not a problem

Remember, sometimes bracketing 3 shots is hard to do handheld because the overexposed image would require a long exposure time that you cannot do unshaken handheld (for me that would be anywhere under 1/25 to 1/15 occasionaly). This happens when it's a bit dark or when you are not outside.

If the cam is on a tripod tho, bracketing is perfect. Don't try HDR without a tripod.
05-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Extended bracketing

Apart from bracketing the exposure, you can also do extended bracketing such as White Balance.

You won't need it if you use RAW, but for JPEG shooter in difficult lighting situations such as Sunrise and Sunset when it is not easy to nail the white balance, the Extended white balance bracketing may come in handy.
05-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #19
Forum Member

I use it quite a bit as I love to do HDRs, and I can say this is hugely improved over my Canon XTi. I'm heading down that switch to Pentax path at the moment.

05-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #20

If I am in a scenario where I can't get everything right easily I will set-up for a 1 stop, 3 shot bracket and hope to improve on what I am rendered with either working on the best of the 3 post, or dumping them in for HDR. If I am in a scenario where I am just unsure or have the shooting time, and believe I'll also have culling time I'll shoot 1/2 stop, 3 shot bracket and work with the best of the lot. I think bracketing is a great asset, but I am also more appreciative of the ability to shoot a test shot and review a histogram. I find I do that far more frequently than bracketing, especially given the latitude for correction with a raw image.
05-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
I think bracketing is a great asset, but I am also more appreciative of the ability to shoot a test shot and review a histogram. I find I do that far more frequently than bracketing, especially given the latitude for correction with a raw image.
Precisely!

Will