Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

*ist DS clicking sounds

I have an ist DS that has been in storage for 6 months or so and now won't take a picture.

When you press the shutter button you can hear a faint clicking noise and it won't take a picture. Actually I hear this noise when other buttons are pushed as well.

Everything works except for the shutter. Right now its just a ridiculously expensive SD card reader!

Has anyone experienced this problem?

08-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would probably eliminate the shutter button mechanics due to dust, etc. as the culprit by trying a remote control to trigger.
08-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds like your shutter is broken. Send it to Pentax.
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well I looks like its a bad shutter button. I can manually jump the contacts and it takes a picture. But I notice that I have another problem as well.

Sometimes its like the camera doesn't see the lens. It won't take a picture and I also notice that the indicator lights in the viewfinder aren't lit. I've tried moving the lens around, cleaning the contacts (camera and lens) and trying all sorts of things. Then all of a sudden it will start working, then stop. I can't seem to figure out what exactly is causing it to do this.

09-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Could moisture during storage be the reason?
09-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have taken the whole camera apart and haven't seen one sign of corrosion or any moisture related tells.

It was kept in a box at the top of my closet. But I guess you never know... oh and I noticed too that the autofocus doesn't work. If you select autofocus the camera says its still in manual mode. Hmm... I think it might be time to scrap it for parts.
09-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikebboy Quote
I have an ist DS that has been in storage for 6 months or so and now won't take a picture ... everything works except for the shutter. It was kept in a box at the top of my closet.
Wow, what is going on with the istDS storage?

This guy has the same problem:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax ist DS. with Sigma 28-105mm lens. This camera worked wonderfully for me for years until I put it away when I switched to Nikon. Now I took it out after 7 months in a closet and I cannot get it to take a picture. Everything seems fine on it, the menu appears etc. but when one presses the shutter button - nothing happens.