Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #1

New K-7 QC Concern & Shipping Firmware?

OK. New to the forum and a proud new K-7 owner. First I will say that I am very happy so far with the purchase and the camera is truly feature packed (it will take me some time to understand the endless adjustments this camera offers).
So, why my post. Well, after reading countless post and hearing concerns about noise, image sensor QC problems (green line) etc, non-of which I have problems with so far, I pulled the trigger and have no regrets. However, I noticed something that worries me and am looking to see if this is an isolated issue with my camera, a larger more common issue, and if its an issue I should be concerned about. I noticed that every time I press the MENU button on the back of the camera I was getting a metallic click as well and have determined that the back metal cover is actually flexing and hitting whatever resides behind it. If you examine the back of the camera you will notice a seam line that runs the length of the camera (below the screen and buttons on the bottom) where the back and the base of the camera seal together. This seam is flexing and gives slightly. This does not happen anywhere else on the camera and only when pressing the MENU button. It seems perhaps the camera may not be sealed properly? This back cover may be unimportant in terms of sealing but my to concerns are if it flexes and there is movement between the two layers could water dust and moisture enter, and also if long term operation might be affected. I bought the camera from Pentax direct and can return for an exchange but I worry a replacement might yield other problems.
As far as firmware. Has anyone received their Pentax with the latest firmware installed. Mine arrived with the first load and I had to upgrade to the recent release. I was hoping to get the most recent production by buying from Pentax direct but now I am not so sure. I assume recent production might have better QC now that Pentax is aware of the possible sensor issue.
Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts.

08-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the firmware version is really a trivial issue. Remember these things are produced in large production runs. Once boxed and wherehoused/sent to distributors nobody is going to unbox them and change the installed firmware. Believe it or not there are people who would complain they did not receive a "new" body because the packing material was not "just ever so"....people are funny sometimes. I honestly could care less even if my "new" body would arrive with 1000 shutter accuations let alone a refolded protective cover on the body...as long as it works as advertized...

Congrats on the new 'toy' and double that you are not having any issues!! Remember 99% of people never will, it's the smaller group who will post issues, and they should. But the double edged sword there is that many of us are even more likely to wait on buying when certain types of issues crop up...

Anyway, enjoy and let's see some shots!! And if ya wanna have some fun post over in the "Introductions" (or whatever it's called) and you will find how super people here can be....they made feel very welcome when I needed it!!

Smiles from a SUNNY and Warm SoCal
08-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The best way to worry less about your Pentax build quality/feel is to handle a Canon body. 5Dmk2 creaks and flexes even when you just look at it
08-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
The best way to worry less about your Pentax build quality/feel is to handle a Canon body. 5Dmk2 creaks and flexes even when you just look at it
I actually was able to handle a 5D MkII yesterday...and it really felt as if the build quality was worse than my 40D.

08-31-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Inactive Account

To comment on your question, which seems somewhat forgotten.
I looked at my K-7 right now, and I see no flexing anywhere when pressing the menu button. No metal clicking sounds either.
08-31-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
Forum Member

Pentax in Europe offers a first inspection of cameras for free incl. sensor cleaning within the warranty period. If there is a similar thing in the US, I would wait until there is need to get that done and have them fix the gap in your back panel as well, else hand it in for back panel fixing only. It makes sense to check for focussing accuracy with various lenses. I always found, my K20d was front focussing regardless what lens I had attached. Built-in focus adjustment could hardly compensate for the misfocussing. I am (hopefully) getting that corrected now. So if you see the same with your K7 (although there was little to no discussion on that regarding this model on pentaxforums), I would claim warranty on that as well. You are right - if you have a good sample of the series, you should hand it in not too early, so they repair it instead of replacing it. -kai
08-31-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Return the camera and get another one. There should be no flex of the body there. This should be an over the counter exchange on a piece of defective equipment, not a warranty repair. Camera manufacturers tend to send out their cameras with firmware 1.00 for the entire life of the product and let the end user update as they see fit.
08-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Return the camera and get another one. There should be no flex of the body there. This should be an over the counter exchange on a piece of defective equipment, not a warranty repair. Camera manufacturers tend to send out their cameras with firmware 1.00 for the entire life of the product and let the end user update as they see fit.
+1 maaaaaaaan

08-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments so far, I am starting to lean towards exchanging the unit. I must admit though I often have bad luck and have convinced myself that the new unit I have will end up having other problems (Green line, etc)
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
After suffering delay after delay on the delivery of my K-7, I have just been informed by FOVI, the main retail supplier in Norway, that the cameras just arrived in Europe are having the firmware updated in Belgium, and that has been partially responsible for the delays locally. It seems also, that Pentax may have been caught out by the large demand for this product as my contact also informed me that there are supply problems from Asia!

Should be able to confirm the upgraded firmware soon, as the camera is due to arrive on Friday
08-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kasv Quote
Pentax in Europe offers a first inspection of cameras for free incl. sensor cleaning within the warranty period. ............-kai
Where can I find this information ?
08-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Where can I find this information ?
I only can give you the link for Germany:
Basis-Check - PENTAX Europe GmbH

It used to be a lifetime service but recently was restricted to the 2 year warranty period. But I can still send my *istDS in for a free first inspection as the restriction doesn't apply to it
08-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I only can give you the link for Germany:
Basis-Check - PENTAX Europe GmbH

It used to be a lifetime service but recently was restricted to the 2 year warranty period. But I can still send my *istDS in for a free first inspection as the restriction doesn't apply to it
Can't read German

Can you help a bit ?

It's only for DSRL bought in the Pentax Germany or to all Pentax bought in the EU ?
What do we have to do to get this check ? just send the camera in ?

Last edited by netuser; 08-31-2009 at 01:25 PM.
08-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Can you help a bit ?

It's only for DSRL bought in the Pentax Germany or to all Pentax bought in the EU ?
What do we have to do to get this check ? just send the camera in ?
I don't know why, but pentax.eu is a pretty useless web site.

I tried to find the same info on pentax.co.uk and pentax.fr (same look and feel as pentax.de) but the info is absent.

So, it seems it is a Germany only free service. Yes, just send the camera in with remark "Basis-Check" in address field. It is sent back to you when done. The service includes: 1. functional test, 2. sensor cleaning, 3. optional fw upgrade.

When the service was done by Pentax in Hamburg (an option now gone) it is known that the technicians there have done a great job, calibrating stuff etc. I fear that those times are gone forever... As it is now, the service may not be that useful anymore.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-01-2009 at 01:28 AM.
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't know why, but PENTAX Europe GmbH is a pretty useless web site.

So, it seems it is a Germany only free service. ............
I was thinking it was only for Germany OHH well

About Pentax in Europe, I even wrote them complaining about the site and because there was not an European Pentax shop like the US one.
I think would boost a lot the sales and the name of Pentax.

The answer I got also by mail was, look for local retails etc ...
(I don't have one in the Azores and it's the same on many places in Europe.)

So, without too much money they could have an online shop/site for selling and support like the US one.

Thanks for the help