Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #76
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jah3 Quote
I do a lot of shooting in very low light, since my shooting is very wide latitude during the 24h and not in a constant place. The Pentax has been ok, but just havent seemed up to my needs, always missed something.
Why were you even considering the a900 if that's the case? That camera is only about one stop better than the K-7, a stop that's effectively neutralized by the shallower DOF. The D700 is excellent, easily two stops better than the K-7. However, again, given the shallower DOF, you have to stop down one f stop to get the same equivalent DOF, meaning in reality, the camera is only about one stop better than the K-7. That's something the online stat charts forget to mention, and it's definitely not much considering the investment which will easily be twice that of the APS-C camera.

If you're a pro, that extra cost doesn't matter much, but if not it might be worth considering.

QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
Sometimes getting it right 90% of the time isn't good enough and you have to pay the premium for getting those extra 9%. It's a huge premium, compared to what you get.
Definitely. If getting the gear means you will earn enough extra money (short or long term) to make up for the investment, then by all means it's a good investment.

Thomas

09-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #77
emr

I don't know if jah3 will be reading these answers any more. My understanding is that he just bought a Nikon D700 and is selling his Pentax gear (on local forums).
09-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
Then don't forget the D700 will also miss shots. Because if you rely on autofocus it will sometimes focus on the wrong thing. So learn to autofocus well. I did and I'm no pro but I can take sharp shots. Therefore for the can't-miss shots MF is all that can be relied on.
I definitely agree on learning to "autofocus well", i.e. getting to know and understand your camera. The Canon 5D is somewhat infamous for its rather generous center point coverage and will happily hone in on something pretty far outside what you thought was the center AF point. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people screw up shots because of that. No camera is perfect, so do take the time to figure out what yours does and doesn't.

If you're shooting a wedding or something where you can't miss "the shot" I'd say use AF but be prepared to manual focus override if needed. Having lenses that let you do it without flipping switches is pretty important for that; e.g. the Pentax "quick shift" capable ones, or any Canon ring USM lens. I always have my bodies setup for back button focusing so that the focusing is entirely decoupled from the shutter; that way I can always let go of the focusing button and manual focus should I need/want to.
09-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well if you want to switch, then do what you feel is right for you. I shoot with a few other guys...who all have Canon's...full frame (1), entry (1) and 40D (1).

They all remark on the colour saturation and rendition, the clarity and sharpness of my K10D and K2000.

One is thinking of switching to Pentax.
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Ha... i get the same comments from the only canon shooter i know.
I get that too. I have a friend who is a pro wedding shooter, and has 2 5dmkII's, a 40d, and 2 20d's, and a bag full of L glass. We were going over shots the other day and comparing images at 100% and he was blown away by the sharpness, contrast and detail of my images. I was showing thing that I consider to be the standard of what I would call a really sharp shot based on what I'm used to, and he was like, I've never seen anything that sharp come out of any of my cameras, ever.

09-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dealing with Sony DSLR Envy by Thom Hogan

This applies to everyone thinking of switching.
09-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Dealing with Sony DSLR Envy by Thom Hogan

This applies to everyone thinking of switching.
guess there's a lot more panic ot Nikonland ! an attempt to sway or keep their flocks together. but honestly speaking, there is some truth to the statements being discussed.
09-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
guess there's a lot more panic ot Nikonland ! an attempt to sway or keep their flocks together. but honestly speaking, there is some truth to the statements being discussed.
Sure, but the same "it's not the camera" arguments could be applied to any new Nikon body; have you seen Thom rush to keep people from buying D700s?
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Just go with Canon. You'll never look back.

You can get a used 5D for close to $1000 now.

09-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Just go with Canon. You'll never look back.

You can get a used 5D for close to $1000 now.
Which is barely worth it. 1 extra stop of performance over the K-7 and about = to the D90.
09-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Sure, but the same "it's not the camera" arguments could be applied to any new Nikon body; have you seen Thom rush to keep people from buying D700s?
D700s is still Nikon. do you smell partisanship?

as far as some of the partial initial results coming from the A850 are concerned, it has quite kept some people at bay from getting one at an instant. unlike the 7D. are the FF A 850's photo results any better than an APS-C K-7 or 7D? a 2 stops difference would had made it a real bargain or worth the attention and investment. from where it stands right now, it is trying to match up with the 5D. both in IQ and price. it would just be too sad to see if the 24MP sensor goes to waste.
09-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Which is barely worth it. 1 extra stop of performance over the K-7 and about = to the D90.
What? You didn't just compare APS-C to FF did you?
09-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #87
Veteran Member

can I ask why have you not moved on to canon or nikon yourself ? it doesnt appear that you are happy with your pentax cameras
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #88
Veteran Member

What's the difference?
09-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
There isn't any more panic in Nikon land than there is in any other land. For any of the brands there is some percentage who incessantly whine about what their camera doesn't have but for whatever reason don't switch. The reality is that if they did switch they would just go to a different forum and whine there as every single model has issues.

I don't look at APC-C vs. FF as being all about extra stops, but that is certainly one reason why I just put down a deposit on a 5Dmk2. While I know the theoretical arguments about it being a wash when you "equalize everything," I don't plan on equalizing. If I have to go wide open I will - with some of what I shoot I just need as high iso as I can get. I was perfectly happy with my K20d and FA ltds until a recent shoot left me needing a bit more. While some were happy with the results, I wasn't, and I know there are other tools.

The Nikon boards are in a tizzy about the 7D. Hell, even the Canon boards are in a tizzy, with 5D users whining about the 7D getting better AF, etc. And of course the Canon boards have people whining about the possibility of a D700x - beating the 5Dmk2 resolution *and* having better hi iso performance (we'll see).

Some people just want to whine. I'd rather buy what makes me happy, and when it no longer makes me happy, try something else. These days I try to cut down on the whining...
09-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
What's the difference?
the size of the sensor, which effects IQ quite a bit.
but you already knew that...you're just trying to be smart