Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #91

So what were photogs telling brides before the D700/D3 was around? Were they saying, "Sorry, nobody else gets those shots either. About 10% of our shots are blurry just like all of the photographers."? I do not think they were saying this because for most good photographers it was not true. When they leave the church have them stop for a couple of seconds if that is what you need. If it is pitch black (very rare for weddings) use a flash with AF assist or use the new K7 built in AF assist. Take a lot of shots and several will be great of them leaving the church.

You will get a few more shots with D700 and if you decide to use ISO 3200 with no flash it will have less grain. But if you use a good flash it will not look that much different at ISO 800. Most wedding photographers in the film days did great stuff with never going above ISO 800 and they had manual focus medium format cameras.

My point is that the output difference you imply is exaggerated. Is the D700 better for low light fast focus and cleaner high ISO? I am sure it is. But the net production of shots for a wedding will not be that much different. If are trying to pile up a lot of low light, no flash shots then it will certainly have an advantage.

QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
Interesting thread - I've had some of the same thoughts about getting a D700.

Thing is - I evaluate all my shoots and look at where I was the weakest.

Previous shoot: Behind the scenes at ad video shoot. Only thing that didn't really work for me, was some remotely triggered shots. Just doesn't trust the IR remote - esp. in the sun. I just got a RF602 radio trigger set in my mailbox to fix that situation.

Last shoot: Wedding. Portraits and formals. Great. Low-light no-flash shots of bride/father and Bride/groom entering and leaving church... could have been sharper (did them with K20D/Pentax DA* 50-135/2.8). To few usable shots for comfort. And I was lucky, the sun was shining at just the right moments. If it hadn't... A D700 with a 70-200/2.8 VR would give me two maybe three more stops in a situation like that.

I'm thinking about keeping Pentax for the SR. I normally use two camera for jobs where "no mistakes must be made". For the the behind the scenes, I had a 50-135 on one shoulder and the Sigma 17-70 on the other. Wedding, is similar except, a second-shooter/assistant has the second house and we swap once in a while. I take care of the "must haves"...

It's all about what you are shooting. It doesn't matter if you don't do it often. If you need to do it once, you need to do it right.

Imagine this conversation:

Bride: "Why is there no good photo's of us leaving the church?"
Me: "Well, I don't really have the gear for low-light moving targets. Don't do it enough to justify the investment".
Bride: "You promised to do a job - and now you tell me you knew your equipment isn't up to the job?".
Me: "Eh, yes?"
Bride: "Are you serious?"
Me: "Yes? Pentax can't deliver the gear I need, and the guys at PentaxForums will stop talking to me if I buy another brand."

This is not the way to get recommendations and new jobs. And I'm really hoping to pickup more wedding jobs...

Sometimes getting it right 90% of the time isn't good enough and you have to pay the premium for getting those extra 9%. It's a huge premium, compared to what you get.

I had really hoped the K7 would deliver two things. Better high ISO and better lowlight AF (indoor low-light flash shooting with a slow lens can be .. rather tiring).

If you never enter those "must not fail" situations, non of this matters and you can work around it or try again.

I guess that's the difference between Semi-Pro and Pro.

The wedding season is over here, so I'm in no hurry, but next year I'll be shooting with something with better high ISO capabilities than Pentax can currently deliver. I would love for it to be a K7+ with two more stops of high-iso performance...

09-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
So what were photogs telling brides before the D700/D3 was around? Were they saying, "Sorry, nobody else gets those shots either. About 10% of our shots are blurry just like all of the photographers."? I do not think they were saying this because for most good photographers it was not true. When they leave the church have them stop for a couple of seconds if that is what you need. If it is pitch black (very rare for weddings) use a flash with AF assist or use the new K7 built in AF assist. Take a lot of shots and several will be great of them leaving the church.

You will get a few more shots with D700 and if you decide to use ISO 3200 with no flash it will have less grain. But if you use a good flash it will not look that much different at ISO 800. Most wedding photographers in the film days did great stuff with never going above ISO 800 and they had manual focus medium format cameras.

My point is that the output difference you imply is exaggerated. Is the D700 better for low light fast focus and cleaner high ISO? I am sure it is. But the net production of shots for a wedding will not be that much different. If are trying to pile up a lot of low light, no flash shots then it will certainly have an advantage.
well, a flash and lighting setup would always be a necessity or mandatory in weddings. I never saw a 5D MkII nor a D3-D3x user nor any FF dslr user who simply relied on HIGH ISO alone. HIGH ISO would only be beneficial in events that no flash is allowed, or distant subjects with poor lighting condition and that a flash couldn't reach or with no setup. true to some concert events where you got to sit at the back end, but nothing could beat shooting up close with a flash on.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-07-2009 at 10:03 PM.
09-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Creampuff, if you could give me a hint what would happen if I put together together the following gear. Before, I should say this would be to photograph single persons head and shoulders and/or groups of persons. AF should be working, skin tones should be allright out of the camera.

Sony DSLR (FF or not, still not decided)
Minolta AF 50/1.7
Minolta AF 85/1.4

Would you think the above combo would give for a constantly working AF and exposure ? I have experienced the lockup with my K100D and the very nice SMC-F 70-210 lens (AF will lock somewere and refuse to release the shutter). It drove me mad to the point I resorted to manual focus = peace of mind .-)

Best, Georg (the other)
Any brand of camera should get you your results. The Minolta lenses, especially the fast 85mm (and if you can get the 135mm STF) are great.
The issue isn't the choice of camera per se but whether you can get the most out of it. My friends' frustration with the A900 was because they paid good money for a flagship camera but didn't expect that the model would have less than stellar reliability. If you still have Pentax lenses, I'd suggest you give the K-7 a test drive and retain the investment you have already made. If you want a fresh start in terms of camera system, then that's a different issue.
09-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Creampuff thanks for sharing !

QuoteQuote:
"If you still have Pentax lenses, I'd suggest you give the K-7 a test drive..."
My only PK AF-lenses are the DA18-55 and the F70-210. Still I'll try to get my hands on a K-7 as well as a K20D.

QuoteQuote:
"If you want a fresh start in terms of camera system, then that's a different issue."
I guess most of the people 'jumping ships' will keep their Pentax kit as a second option (I would). My main grip on photography is manual focus work. Obviously a 24x36mm camera would bring me more options and more joy in that regard.

Honestly I don't see much improvement for me to upgrade from my K100D other than to a much improved low light performer with trustworthy AF and a better viewfinder.

Might as well wait another 2-3 years,
Georg

Last edited by georgweb; 09-08-2009 at 03:57 PM.
09-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
well, a flash and lighting setup would always be a necessity or mandatory in weddings. I never saw a 5D MkII nor a D3-D3x user nor any FF dslr user who simply relied on HIGH ISO alone. ...
I generally agree with you and I use flash myself shooting weddings and other events. But there is at least ONE well-known wedding photographer in the world who shoots without flash: Jeff Ascough. See this interview with him on photo.net.

Will
09-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I generally agree with you and I use flash myself shooting weddings and other events. But there is at least ONE well-known wedding photographer in the world who shoots without flash: Jeff Ascough. See this interview with him on photo.net.

Will
I don't own a flash, and probably never will.

I also will probably never shoot a wedding, at least for money. Maybe for a friend that really wants abstract shots of cake icing and tuxedo fabric.

No, strike that. None of my friend would wear suits, let alone tuxedos...
09-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Having shot stacks of weddings during the "old" film days I only shot asa 100-400 and on those dark dingy days the flash outdoors was quite obvious (hard to balance) but today if you have a really good high iso dslr performer you can now have a much better subtle fill flash with that same dark dingy ambient light - a huge plus imo.

Dylan
09-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #98

Photos: Albums
Just saw this thread. It's kind of funny to me, since I used to shoot a Pentax and switched to the fantastic amazing wonderful world of Full Frame... or did I now?

I bought a Canon 5D because the price was great and I have NO COMPLAINT on image quality, but there are many other things I long for.

It is hard to put into written words, but I don't feel very inspired to use this boring Canon body.

I freely admit: I love great built gadgets (almost) as much as I love photography! There, it's out.

I miss Pentax.

I miss the LTD primes (especially the 21 Ltd).

I miss in-body stabilization.

I miss that pressing the shutter once can give me three bracketed shots on 2sec self-timer.

I miss the LTD primes.

I don't know - I am not saying that primary inspiration for photography should come from the equipment, but I felt more inspired to go out into the world with my Pentax than with the 5D. The 5D is amazing (AF not so much) for indoor usage.

09-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #99
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
can I ask why have you not moved on to canon or nikon yourself ? it doesnt appear that you are happy with your pentax cameras
he would actually have to have a camera to move on . . .
09-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm blown away....!

I have only been a Pentaxian a few short years, have no prior camera experience to speak of but have seen enough threads like this one to last a lifetime, and no doubt will see many more. I see them in every Forum from Canon to Sony.....from Oly to Pentax. Nothing new here, they all read like they were written by the same person.

Something else I have seen.....I love to view photos, any photos, and when I go to a Nikon Gallery, I am blown away by the fantastic photos I see. And...when I go to a Oly Gallery, I am blown away by the fantastic photos I see. And...when I go to a Sony Gallery...I am blown away from the fantastic photos I see. And...when I go to PPG I am blown away by the fantastic photos I see. And.......
So maybe you guys that are always switching around need to look around first and see if the camera is really where your problem arises? Sure, we will always be here for you, to tell you the same old things we always do, but give us a break once in a while and just keep your shortcomings to yourselves. Maybe you don't realize it, but it is like broadcasting to the world that you can't satisfy your wife, often your third or fourth wife, and so you are moving on to one you can satisfy......Good luck, I think you will be needing it.
Regards
Rupert
09-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
he would actually have to have a camera to move on . . .
Now we're even going for dated blows!

Last edited by wlank; 09-20-2009 at 08:13 AM.
09-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #102
Veteran Member

I shot Canon and then Nikon. I used 2 MkIII's when I worked for the newspaper and when I got laid off I went back to Nikon. I have to admit that when I had my D3 it was the sweetest camera I had ever owned, but I had to sell it and then go to a D700 and eventually a D300. The D700 is an awesome camera, especially when shooting at higher ISO's but there is just something about Pentax glass that I love. By the way, I had one of those WA Nikon Ai-S lenses...the 20 2.8 and it was awesome.