Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jah3 Quote
That lens isnt designed for APS-S censor, it is designed for 35mm, off course usable on DX.
The new one is optimized for FX, however the old one was done with DX in mind... It's still usable on FX, but with severe vignetting...

Nikon AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8G Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

08-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #32
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Id go d700 as well, or even D3, drool the 5dII has the best video tho, something the other FF cams lack.

The a900 is not bad, nice VF, but I didnt like the mirror slap of it, seems very strong yet flimsy, as if it was almost loose and would make the camera shake extra. compare that to the ultra tight and fast mirror action of the D3. Sony lenses also seem very expensive. Sure the body has a good price but you need lenses for it too.
08-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How about the dynamic range of the different censors then? The Nikon is supplied with Sony censors and Pentax by Samsung and the D700 has gotten great reviews of the DR.
It looks to me that the Samsung censors dont tend to handle great contrast differances. I work at sea and the bigger contrast changes seem difficult to Pentax, I cant tell on my own hand how the Nikon D700 or Sony a900 / a850 handles those situations, but what i've seen from fellow mates is that it handles quite well. The size/weight differance is off course of matter, the lens prices (and weight) for Nikon and Zeiss is not so huge, on the Alpha you can also use first class Minolta lenses. On the Sony you get in body SR and on Nikon you get it at the lenses.
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
The new one is optimized for FX, however the old one was done with DX in mind... It's still usable on FX, but with severe vignetting...

Nikon AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8G Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Where are you getting this? The 80-200mm was made in 1992, BACK WHEN THEY WERE STILL USING FILM! Same as full format, I assume. Except for the film and no sensor or processor part. and buffer. and memory card slot. and color LCD screen.

Also saw that the D700 got a lot cheaper. About $2300. Really competitive price. I would get that over the A850 any day.

Last edited by GLXLR; 08-31-2009 at 01:36 PM.
08-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good luck, make sure to report back after you have made the switch!

Sadly I see more posts like this coming our way.
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Good luck, make sure to report back after you have made the switch!

Sadly I see more posts like this coming our way.
Yeup. Strangely, more people are quitting AFTER the K-7 came out. Full frame isn't THAT amazing...

I guess FF will be one step ahead of APS-C cameras with normal and wide angle lenses.

IE: To get a 50mm f/2 on APS-C you would need a 35mm f/1.4 which would be much larger than a 50mm f/1.4! And you still get the benefit of better FF ISO performance (excluding the A900)
08-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Who cares?

Why does one go online to let the world know he or she is switching systems? Who cares? If a system doesn't serve your needs, then by all means switch. Why do people have to report it here like it's some sort of break up?

Jason

08-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #38
Damn Brit

Don't cry for me Pentax K20
The truth is I never loved you
All through the good times
You took my pictures
Now there's no full frame
I'll keep my distance

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #39

please get the D700...
08-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Why does one go online to let the world know he or she is switching systems? Who cares? If a system doesn't serve your needs, then by all means switch. Why do people have to report it here like it's some sort of break up?

Jason
He's asking for help. No one really cares if you care or not...
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #41

Sound Advice?

I find it interesting that no one here voted for Sony. Ironic in some ways as they have in body stabilization and the Zeiss glass really is spectacular. If Full frame is your future then a departure is understandable but is that future so un-stable that almost everyone suggested the system with the best exit plan? Its as if you have sold your D-700 before actually buying it. I recommend following your gut if you like Sony then go for it I think the A900 IQ and handling is great and apparently so does the Luminous lanscape. Whatever decision you make do it for your reasons and weighted towards what it will give you in return not what return it will give you by selling it. It seems today we are so unsure of our purchases we are more concerned about re-sale. Dont get me wrong Nikon is great, but buy it for that reason not because of its perceived market value. I mean where would Pentax be in all of this?

Cheers
Roger

Last edited by DJEZRAJ; 08-31-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
08-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I tend to agree with jasvox... who cares. Good luck to you.

I have no problem with helping or answering questions like "D700 vs A900" but it does sound like some sort of break up. But we digress.

FWIW, the rumors are: that A850 is a A900 with crippled firmware. Just stick with your Pentax until some mad Russian cracks it and turns the A850 into a A900.

mike
08-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DJEZRAJ Quote
I find it interesting that no one here voted for Sony. Ironic in some ways as they have in body stabilization and the Zeiss glass really is spectacular. If Full frame is your future then a departure is understandable but is that future so un-stable that almost everyone suggested the system with the best exit plan? Its as if you have sold your D-700 before actually buying it. I recommend following your gut if you like Sony then go for it I think the A900 IQ and handling is great and apparently so does the Luminous lanscape. Whatever decision you make do it for your reasons and weighted towards what it will give you in return not what return it will give you by selling it. It seems today we are so unsure of our purchases we are more concerned about re-sale. Dont get me wrong Nikon is great, but buy it for that reason not because of its perceived market value. I mean where would Pentax be in all of this?

Cheers
Roger
He did say he was looking for good ISO performance right? D700 comes to mind.

I really don't have anything against Sony and might consider switching in the future, but for the next few years of highschool and college, I think I have other things i need to save up on.
08-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the problem with Pentax is not w/o FF, but the future uncertainty, which does absolutely no good for Pentax. At least pre-DA lenses can be used on EOS bodies in the worst case.
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #45
edl
Veteran Member

Sony makes a nice FF product, and so does Canon, but I went with the D700. So far it's been a wonderful handling camera that I enjoy using. The high ISO performance is satisfying...although fast glass and low ISO's provide even better DR and richness.

@ Nostatic - I would like to see a line of F4 zooms from Nikon too. I think every Nikon user would honestly In the meantime, I'm happy with the 18-35, 50/1.8, and 85/1.4.

I haven't decided what to do with my Pentax equipment yet. Most of the AF stuff is gone, but I have a hard time selling my Taks or K20D as I can afford to keep it. I suppose I'll evaluate like Samsungian and see if I use my Pentax gear enough.

I also think it's odd the way people act when they change systems. Ultimately it's just a camera, a tool to be used like anything else. Pick the appropriate tool for the job. That's it.

Last edited by edl; 08-31-2009 at 06:16 PM.