Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I would have to add the k-7 grip cause K-7 is too small

I would have to add the k-7 grip cause K-7 is too small.

My Pinky and ring finger would both like to be on the camera & not dangling below K-7.

Whereas Canon hasn't made cameras so small I have to add the grip.

No grips needed on my 5D.

No grip needed on my K20D.

Canon 7D hasn't been downsized to a point for me to Have To to add the grip for ergonomics.

For me, its a valid comparision & less than $200 separate K-7 & grip versus 7D.

A Bonus is, Pentax K mount glass can be used on 7D without modifications.

Sure Shake Reduced body remains a +++, & thats looking like Pentax only Niche they have left today.

Use them FA Limited on 7D...

Use all them old K Mounts, A or otherwise on 7D...

Use them Takumars on 7D at 8 frames per second and 3200iso if one chooses...

Who'll BLINK 1st on dropping issue price. Canon 7D or Pentax K-7 ???

I just came back from my favorite local shop and asked them:

K-7 on order: "Zero", already had instock or sold: "Zero"

Their 7D order placed just this morning after announcement: "10"

So, that's 10 to Zero so far from one store, in a head to head 7D vs K-7 challenge

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I thought that was kind of a silly statement too. If you price the K-7 with grip, wouldn't you price the 7D with grip too? Or, I guess you could say, "Once you add a flash to the K-7 the price is the same." Or, "Once you buy a bag and nice tripod for the K-7 the price is the same." Weird.

btw, I bought the K10D over the D200 and 40D because of ergonomics, and the feel of the K-7 in my hands blows away the K10D...no grip needed.

09-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well the 7d will need to prove that the optics can handle the sensor or the 18 mp will be wasted, te 5d mk2 with an FF sensor is having trouble with lenses that can keep up with it's resolution, the 7d will have similar issues as many lenses in canons line up could not handle the 15mp 50d. I would hvae prefered canon work on more DR and lower nosie with more detail. The 18mp is just to give the camera better paper specs than anything nikon sends in the form of a d300s. Tho it also seems canon is watching pentax as they have added wireless etl control in camera, the auto level etc, so at the very least the K7 has had an influence on canon and not by some small extent.

Now canon has to learn how to build the cameras with real weather seals

In any case my Mk2 is still safe as it still has a 1 stop noise advantage and apparantly better IQ based on the samples so far than the 7d but canon could have put that AF system in the mk2
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It is a nice chance that pentax gets a free bump because of the similar names. Should they have left the D in name the effect woud be even more pronounced.
Some newbie may even buy K7 instead of 7d and live long and happy pentaxian .
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Price drop?

Well this may help with the price drop for the K7.

09-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
K-7 on order: "Zero", already had instock or sold: "Zero"
Their 7D order placed just this morning after announcement: "10"
So, that's 10 to Zero so far from one store, in a head to head 7D vs K-7 challenge
Er, that almost certainly has lots to do with marketing and the "Canikon effect" ("only canikon make real cameras, right?", "if it's not canikon, it's a toy!"), and very little to do with actual product merit.
09-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #21
Forum Member

The K7 photos look better to me. I compared the images from both cameras before looking to see which was which, in an attempt to be as objective as possible, but it was clear to me which were from the Pentax and which were from the Canon. It seems the implication from some other posters here, though, is that we're supposed to think the Canon images are better. I just don't see it. To me, the images from the Pentax have better color, more detail and most importantly a texture that is lacking in the Canon shots. I suppose I could make shots from my K20d look like the Canon shots by cranking the noise reduction up to 11, but I personally prefer the Pentax look.
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I would have to add the k-7 grip cause K-7 is too small.
No it's not. Your hands are too big.
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
Pentaxian

His hands are Canon-sized. Any Canon camera heavily discounted fits like a glove; anything else, doesn't

09-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Tokeo Quote
it was clear to me which were from the Pentax and which were from the Canon
The comparison appeared to be using jpegs, which generally will show much more about the camera's in-camera processing (and default settings) than its potential.
09-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #25

for me K7 seems like a better buy. I bike and hike a lot. so smaller is better and 7D is not that. I own a D40 love the small size but more lens suport and weather sealing is a must in the enviroments I go into. The lenses on my Nikon/Canon seem limiting and way out of my price range. Pantax high grade lenses is a lot smaller investment with weather sealing.
09-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #26

K7 vs 7D perspective

No doubt that the EOS 7D looks good. It's a pro build body that seems aimed at the Nikon D300S market. The Pentax K-7 still stands out on its own as it offers many of these things but has the smallish appeal of a consumer cam while still feeling substantial and pro. While Pentax could join in the fray of the low noise war and still lose by two hairs they have wisely concentrated on correcting the things that truly hold them back such as AF metering and WB. The K7 is unique and needs no defense really, it is Pentax who struggle as a company to maintain mind and market-share. Market dominance is a wash the big two have won and Pentax should not ignore that but also should not get caught up in the chase game. I personally dont think we need another "me too" brand there are already enough of those already. So they could react and lose or focus on their own strengths and hone their unique appeal. To me the K-7 and Km to a degree acknowledges the space between users where advanced hobbyist and Pro collide. Pentax seem to have a cult like enthusiast following of like minded artistic individuals who make up a large part of their market. I know its a small market but Canon and Nikon will continue to release cameras model after model and they wont stop. So where do Pentax fit in? Somewhere in between I think and I personally am glad they continue to address my favorite market,
Cheers
Roger
09-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I admit, I also like to pixel peep, and check out the latest camera from Canikon, vs the latest from the other guys.

But the reality is that cameras have gotten so good in the last couple of years, that the diferrances are so small, it just does not matter anymore.

The other side of it, is that post process has become so easy with tools like Lightroom, that almost any camera's "look" can be simulated by any other camera.

I think the only real diferences you can find anymore, are if you compair a high res "details" camera (ie A900, 5Dmkii) to a "low light" camera (ie D3, D700). Usually you find the details cameras have the best image with low ISO, while the low light cameras look better at the high ISO. go figure.

What I get out of the K-7 vs 7D comparison, is that both cameras produce excelent images.
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

it comes down to ergos and glass imho. The rest is largely bs, though there is some difference in iq at different iso for a given sensor size. Whether that is inherent sensor or firmware difference or the nr philosophies is up for discussion.
09-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
not unless it is cheaper than the K7.
I don't agree that it always about dollars. There are a lot of people out there who honestly beleive that more dollars=better and are quite happy to "brag" about their new purchase because it is obviously better than yours because it cost more. I know someone who recently purchased a Canon 24-70 lens for nearly $2,000 and refused to believe that the Sigma equivilent was just as good if not better for far less cost. This is particularly true when it comes to hi tech stuff. People will assume that the Canon 7D costs more because it is better..thats the kind of attitude you have deal with in the real world.
09-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #30

I'd be seriously worried about that many megapixels starting to show the limitations of your lenses. Add that to the fact that Canon degraded image quality with the megapixel jump from 40D to 50D, be interesting to see if they've avoided that problem this time around.

Reviews will be very interesting.