Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #1

Pentax K10-d, Italy

I'm on a ten week study abroad in the Tuscany region of Italy, and of course want to take lots of pictures. I noticed that my computer is not maintaining a full charge since I got here, apparently because of the voltage difference and adapter issues. So, having just charged my battery because I killed it, I was wondering if I might be facing the same issues? Any idea?

09-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
The Google Machine is your friend...

Electricity in Italy - Power Plugs and Converters for Electricity in Italy

With the plug adaptor you may have only solved half of your problem. So, if your Pentax charger only runs on 110-120 volts you still have the voltage disparity issue, and you'll need to go to an electronics store and ask for the power converter mentioned in the above link, and they'll probably offer you something like this:
100W 220V 110V Voltage Converter Transformer US to EUR su eBay.it Voltage Converters, Gadgets, Electronics

My advice to you would be to carefully read the back of your chargers, and if they're not 110-240 volts, don't risk frying your batteries and/or devices...
As for the laptop whose battery doesn't last as long as it used to in The States, I think that's because the EU uses 50 Hz frequency and the USA 60 Hz, and the latter gives you seemingly 'stronger' power.

Good luck and enjoy Toscana!
09-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

See above for help with your power issue...

On another note, I'll be in Tuscany for eight days in October and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for photography locations. We'll be staying in a farmhouse near Montepulciano, but will be car-mobile. Thanks!
09-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #4

QuoteQuote:
My advice to you would be to carefully read the back of your chargers, and if they're not 110-240 volts, don't risk frying your batteries and/or devices...
As for the laptop whose battery doesn't last as long as it used to in The States, I think that's because the EU uses 50 Hz frequency and the USA 60 Hz, and the latter gives you seemingly 'stronger' power.
The 60Hz/50Hz should not be an issue when using a charger, however the voltage is crucial. I would not use any electrical appliance that has not an information about the proper voltage stated on it.

Europe is 230 Volts, 50Hz, regardless of the plug (e.g. UK uses a different one).