Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The other day I cooked my dinner then threw it in the composting bin. I didn't feel like doing the dishes.
Gary.. my tip...

Use paper plates & plastic disposable knives/forks .

mmmm .. maybe disposable lenses are the go

09-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Gary.. my tip...

Use paper plates & plastic disposable knives/forks .

mmmm .. maybe disposable lenses are the go
Biodegradable at that.
But disposable SLRs/lenses - there would be too much landfill from the people on this forum alone...
09-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The other day I cooked my dinner then threw it in the composting bin. I didn't feel like doing the dishes.

c[_]

adsfqgtr'[ireoj
09-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With regard to shooting burst mode with the flash...

Did you change the "do not fire until the flash is ready" setting to OFF?

Other wise you will wait between shoots for the flash to recharge, and thus you don't get burst mode.

I am starting to think that Pentax should have the default settings such that frames per second are maximized. In other words, turn off the CA fixes, unlink the flash etc. Otherwise people who do not read the manual, will just ASSUME that thier new gear is broken.

Because everyone knows the bets way to test a new camera is to check your high speed frame rate...

09-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
I also did not like the fact that the new K7, like my older K10d will not burst shoot with flash. This is something that I miss when I had a Canon 30d.
maybe you didn't test it well, mine shoots burst mode no problem with the AF540FTZ attached, it just does not do it with the internal flash
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

97% of all "problems" are user error

and 63% of all interweb statistics are made up
09-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sorry, but it think this was a troll.
09-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
36% of all posts are by trolls

09-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
No troll, check out my previous post in the forsale section. I sold my 16-45mm lens, grip/extra battery and Sigma flash to three other members on here. I sold my K10d body on ebay. I need a camera that will let me capture kids running around. I figured the k7 was the camera for me with it's high fps but the AF/ shutter lag is killing me, it's not really must faster than the k10d. Why do Pentax cameras focus, stop and refocus? At this point I don't know how to proceed.
09-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

D300
D300S
7D

Or....

Ask people how they use the autofocus on their cameras to capture motion.

Single point center? AFS or AFC let the camera select the point, or do you? Do you find some lenses to focus faster then others? How does trap focus work? What about that setting in the camera that allows a frame to be shot even when the camera has not yet focused? should I turn off the SR? does that matter? does the type of light matter?

Anyone with fast moving kids care to add their two bits?
09-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

Anyone with fast moving kids care to add their two bits?
two words: duct tape

for the kids, not the camera. Pentax AF works fine...
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter

No troll, check out my previous post in the forsale section. I sold my 16-45mm lens, grip/extra battery and Sigma flash to three other members on here. I sold my K10d body on ebay. I need a camera that will let me capture kids running around. I figured the k7 was the camera for me with it's high fps but the AF/ shutter lag is killing me, it's not really must faster than the k10d. Why do Pentax cameras focus, stop and refocus? At this point I don't know how to proceed.
I think I remember a few of your posts.

The answer to your question is to not use AF-C. Sorry, but that really is the answer.

The big stinky secret of dSLR technology is that no camera is capable of tracking and maintaining focus on a group of kids running around. Ditto for a dodging, jerking peloton of cyclists or a dog running into a flock of chickens.

Consider the simple case of the camera with default settings in AF-C mode and a bunch of kids playing with the hose in the backyard. These are the camera's "thoughts":
  • What is the subject? Kid 1, kid 2, kid 3, hose, grass, dog, or fence...
  • What part of subject is supposed to be in focus (this is where predictive algorithms come in)?
  • When do I signal the boss (photographer) that I have a lock?
Lets try the same thing with AF-S
  • What is the subject? Kid 1, kid 2, kid 3, hose, grass, dog, or fence...
  • What part of subject is supposed to be in focus (this is where predictive algorithms come in)?
  • When do I release the shutter?
Wow! I guess I am maybe expecting the camera to read my mind. I guess that also explains why the AF drive sort of goes crazy and I miss the shot. So, lets make it a little easier for the camera:
  • Set the AF point to center
Well, that helps a little, at least the camera knows what the intended subject is, but it still won't lock. The subject location (focus) is changing before the camera can confirm.
  • Decouple the AF from the shutter release
Wow, that helps a lot. I can attain focus and THEN release the shutter in burst mode. Unfortunately, a fair number of my shots are still OOF.

At this point, I can do what the pros do. Turn off AF altogether and either use the hyperfocal or prefocus and anticipate the action.

Steve

(The summary goes like this...if you think the pros just turn on their camera and fire away in burst mode with every shot in focus regardless of light and/or nature of subject...nice fantasy...sometimes, yes...always, no)
09-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I need a camera that will let me capture kids running around.
Show this thread to the kids & explain the shutter lag problems you're having..... maybe they'll sympathize with you & run around at a little slower pace.
09-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Show this thread to the kids & explain the shutter lag problems you're having..... maybe they'll sympathize with you & run around at a little slower pace.
Or just kneecap them...
09-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say find a friend with the Canon/Nikon and borrow it and you'll see. I've had the k10d, k20d and now the k-7. I have 2 kids and take a lot of shots...many are duds, but end up with more than enough of pics I'm vary happy with. I don't think it's a brand issue.