Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Isn't it always the case that it is far easier to blame the camera instead of acknowledging poor technique, ability or the photographer's own failings.

Those who think the K-7 is deficient should take a leaf from this excellent work done entirely with the K-7. For those old foggies who think that video has no place in the camera, well time for a re-think and break out of that old paradigm.

YouTube - ?? (PENTAX K-7 MOVIE)
Thanks For posting the link to the movie Creampuff. Its a great example of what can not be done with a handicam. The depth of field control, the quality of the images... Just wish I could understand what she was saying.

09-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The other day I cooked my dinner then threw it in the composting bin. I didn't feel like doing the dishes.
haha except for the fact that you had to clean the dishes that you cooked your food in....
09-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #63
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Maybe he had to sell his old gear to get money to buy new gear. He did not expect that the K-7 would not meet his expectations, if you know what I mean.

Rob
If he could get to B&H to buy it he could have got there to try it before he sold his other equipment.
As he explains later in the thread, it's because his children are too quick for the K-7, now he can't take pictures of them in or out of focus.
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #64
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by UhOhItsAri Quote
haha except for the fact that you had to clean the dishes that you cooked your food in....
You cook your food in dishes, you must be a student with a microwave. Where I come from, pots and pans are used for cooking.

09-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You cook your food in dishes, you must be a student with a microwave. Where I come from, pots and pans are used for cooking.
Wait, you're implying that the food is removed from said pot and/or pan prior to consumption?
09-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #66

Original Poster
I've made a decision and that is to wait for the Canon EOS 7d

YouTube - EOS 7D hands-on preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZp9WMy4ihg

I went back down to Adorama and bought a used XTi and a DC310 camcorder to hold me over until the 7d is released.

Last edited by HeavyD; 09-04-2009 at 05:54 AM.
09-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Sorry about your bad experience. Hopefully you find the camera that'll make your photographic ideas for to life!

Regards,
Diego
09-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
???

There's no controversy. "Ir" means "not" (irresponsible = not responsible). Therefore, using the "ir" in front of "regardless" makes it mean the OPPOSITE of "in spite of or anyway." Not surprisingly, Wikipedia is stellar once again in its grasp of actual facts. So it is not a word in any useable sense.
Wanna bet? From Websters Dictionary (my emphasis):

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I never said it was a correct word. Just because you don't like the word and how it is used doesn't mean it isn't a word.

09-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
....irregardless of everything, K7 is Hoya' hope to recover this market. I remember when Circuit City, Best Buy, etc would carry Pentax products int their stores - and then the Canikons suddenly took more shelf space - not to mention Sony's marketing machine. If there's room for 3 at the top, will Pentax survive? Most of it depends on the market response of K7 at the high end and K2000 at the entry level.
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
I've made a decision and that is to wait for the Canon EOS 7d

YouTube - EOS 7D hands-on preview
YouTube - Mr Hitler not happy about the Canon 7d...

I went back down to Adorama and bought a used XTi and a DC310 camcorder to hold me over until the 7d is realeased.

I hope the 7D would meet your expectations. it seems to be a really good camera but also be prepared to invest good money on purchasing a good IS lens (it's a trade-off). but I just don't understand or find the logic on you purchasing an XTI as a temporary camera when it clearly isn't up to the tasks that you are looking for in a camera. there are several better cameras than that being sold in the used market for a cheap price as well.
09-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Wanna bet? From Websters Dictionary (my emphasis):

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

I never said it was a correct word. Just because you don't like the word and how it is used doesn't mean it isn't a word.
Whether I "like" the word or not is irrelevant (not relevant, note the use of "ir"). While dictionaries are descriptive of the vocabulary people choose to use, most of us who teach the language prefer a prescriptive approach. Dictionaries are records of what people use, no matter how horrific their assault on the rules of the language. If it's used enough, it will go in a dictionary.

As far as the difference between an "incorrect" word and a non-word, there is none. Generally, the common response from people upon hearing an "incorrect" word, as you label it, like "unpossible" (hat tip to Nostatic), is to say, "That's not a word." Hence, my response. In fact, unpossible is still a lot closer to what could be called an actual word as the incorrect prefix doesn't change the fundamental meaning. "Irregardless" is used to mean the complete opposite of what the actual construct of the word should mean. It's like using "black" and "white" to both mean "black."

If a student of mine combines a prefix incorrectly with another word, it doesn't make a "word" any more than me blurting out "glebubit" and claiming it is a word. This is true even if it happens a million times (and with my students, it seems to).

It's not a word.

Last edited by gnaztee; 09-03-2009 at 11:04 AM.
09-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #72
Veteran Member

for the love of god, please enough of the vocabulary war. it is giving me nosebled?

btw, is it grammatically correct when you say "lone rangers" ?
09-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Okay, I promise I'll stop. Nobody likes English Teachers telling them what to do anyway.

As far as your question, yes, it's grammatically correct...but nonsensical. Noam Chomsky, who seems to have more political pursuits these days, was a hell of a linguist and he liked to use the following phrase to show that language can be grammatically correct but make no sense:

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

This probably won't stop the nosebleed.

Oh, and I apologize to viewers of this thread for my original innocuous statement...

Last edited by gnaztee; 09-03-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo, stupid English teacher
09-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Okay, I promise I'll stop. Nobody likes English Teachers telling them what to do anyway.

As far as your question, yes, it's grammatically correct...but nonsensical. Noam Chomsky, who seems to have more political pursuits these days, was a hell of a linguist and he liked to use the following phrase to show that language can be grammatically correct but make no sense:

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

This probably won't stop the nosebleed.

Oh, and I apologize to viewers fo this thread for my original innocuous statement...
I can feel it dripping already !

btw, stop beating around the bush because it's raining cats and dogs ?
09-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I can feel it dripping already !

btw, stop beating around the bush because it's raining cats and dogs ?
Are you asking if that's grammatically correct too?

btw, how's the weather in Vancouver? I graduated from Western in Bellingham in 2000. I miss that part of the country (both of them) terribly.