Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Are you asking if that's grammatically correct too?

btw, how's the weather in Vancouver? I graduated from Western in Bellingham in 2000. I miss that part of the country (both of them) terribly.
nope, it just brings up memories of my junior high school english metaphors that made us insane.

the weather is great here as usual, except for the occasional heatwave we had last month that wilted us for a few days. and our first experience of heavy snow for decades last december which lasted for a month. it was nice to see but awful to walk on. transportation was difficult as well. but anyway, happy days are here and a month to go before the flowers starts falling off. better shoot them asap before that happens.

so, how's the hot and humid weather there ?

09-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
nope, it just brings up memories of my junior high school english metaphors that made us insane.

the weather is great here as usual, except for the occasional heatwave we had last month that wilted us for a few days. and our first experience of heavy snow for decades last december which lasted for a month. it was nice to see but awful to walk on. transportation was difficult as well. but anyway, happy days are here and a month to go before the flowers starts falling off. better shoot them asap before that happens.

so, how's the hot and humid weather there ?
Yeah, my wife and I actually flew into Seattle during that heavy snow to catch the Hawks-Jets game before we headed south to spend Xmas with family...and got stuck in Seattle! No Amtrak or buses for an extra day. It was fun...because we were on vacation.

Down here there's no humidity this year...a really abysmal monsoon season. We have less than half the usual rainfall at this point in the monsoon. Remnants of Hurricane Jimena is supposed to give us some rain (and temps 8-10 degrees cooler, which is NICE).

Thanks for the regional update!
09-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I always thought it was the "Long Ranger"......I still end every prayer with Armyman. So much to learn, so little time.
09-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I hope the 7D would meet your expectations. it seems to be a really good camera but also be prepared to invest good money on purchasing a good IS lens (it's a trade-off). but I just don't understand or find the logic on you purchasing an XTI as a temporary camera when it clearly isn't up to the tasks that you are looking for in a camera. there are several better cameras than that being sold in the used market for a cheap price as well.
Yes, I wonder how an XTI is good enough, even temporarily, and the K-7 is not ? I've used an XTI a bit before, and the K-7 runs circles around it in many aspects...different range of camera, of course.

The Canon 7D looks like a very good camera, but the cost of ownership of a Canon system, especially IS lenses should be considered.
Many people already screaming murder over Pentax lens prices, they probably haven't looked at Image Stabilised Canon lenses.....

09-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Well it's not that bad with IS lenses if you get the right ones. For example 70-200 F4 L IS zoom is cheaper here than Pentax's 60-250 SDM F4 lens. 300 F4 L IS is about the same as Pentax's 300mm F4 SDM. It only gets troublesome if you want a cheap "kit" lens with IS. But under 100mm focal length shake reduction is becoming less critical to have with good high ISO capabilities of these modern cameras. Landscape shooting with wideangles shold be done with tripod anyway.
09-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Yes, I wonder how an XTI is good enough, even temporarily, and the K-7 is not ? I've used an XTI a bit before, and the K-7 runs circles around it in many aspects...different range of camera, of course.

The Canon 7D looks like a very good camera, but the cost of ownership of a Canon system, especially IS lenses should be considered.
Many people already screaming murder over Pentax lens prices, they probably haven't looked at Image Stabilised Canon lenses.....
well it's murder considering that the 50-135mm now costs at about 500 dollars more. I sort of blame myself for not having the cash last March when all the Pentax glasses were considered cheap. eventhough I'm capable now of buying that lens, I wouldn't spend a penny for a lens that I knew was a lot cheaper than it was before. just the idea of it is already a hard pill to swallow. No thanks, but I would rather buy a used one which is cheaper and good as well.

as for the OP's dilemma, I'm really am puzzled about his choices. he's unhappy with Pentax's slow fps and focusing speed, that's why he got an XTI instead? why not buy a used 40D?
09-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Well it's not that bad with IS lenses if you get the right ones. For example 70-200 F4 L IS zoom is cheaper here than Pentax's 60-250 SDM F4 lens. 300 F4 L IS is about the same as Pentax's 300mm F4 SDM. It only gets troublesome if you want a cheap "kit" lens with IS. But under 100mm focal length shake reduction is becoming less critical to have with good high ISO capabilities of these modern cameras. Landscape shooting with wideangles shold be done with tripod anyway.
but how about prime ones at the lower focal range? I'm sure that people won't be shooting landscapes and carrying tripods all of the time.
09-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #83
Inactive Account

Oh yes. During the daytime light levels are usually high enough to get sharp landscape shots handheld with lens under 100mm in focal length with F16. And when it really matters, during the early morning / late evening, one would be dumb to not use a tripod.

09-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Oh yes. During the daytime light levels are usually high enough to get sharp landscape shots handheld with lens under 100mm in focal length with F16. And when it really matters, during the early morning / late evening, one would be dumb to not use a tripod.
it would be dumb though to set up a tripod shooting people photography on the streets and inside the bars at night, not to mention up close. or let's say lowlight indoor photography with people. I don't think that it would be logical or applicable to use or even bring a tripod with the intention of doing portraiture or candid photos under lowlight settings or anything that would require a slower shutter and a boost of ISO. the situation that you are saying is only applicable for landscape shooting under daylight conditions. a tripod is only good for still subjects and anything that does not require an immediate shooting setup. that's the reason why IS/VR/SR capabilities were meant and invented for. to find a solution for camera shake because of slow shutter speed for a demanding lowlight shooting. boosting up the ISO could only give the best it could.
09-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Yeah, my wife and I actually flew into Seattle during that heavy snow to catch the Hawks-Jets game before we headed south to spend Xmas with family...and got stuck in Seattle! No Amtrak or buses for an extra day. It was fun...because we were on vacation.

Down here there's no humidity this year...a really abysmal monsoon season. We have less than half the usual rainfall at this point in the monsoon. Remnants of Hurricane Jimena is supposed to give us some rain (and temps 8-10 degrees cooler, which is NICE).

Thanks for the regional update!
I see. well if there's any consolation, here's a view of what you've been missing !

09-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D3 not that great either....

Here is the dpreview thread on how uselss the D3 tracking is for kids

Can the D3 AF track a child? [Page 1]: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

It IS the one behind the camera that makes it happen....

Last edited by pcarfan; 09-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.
09-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Here is the dpreview thread on how uselss the D3 tracking is for kids

Can the D3 AF track a child? [Page 1]: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

It IS the one behind the lens....
Absolutely. Great post. If people that complain that a camera that cost $8000 and is designed for "speed" can't take pictures of kids then they better start looking in the mirror for the source of the problem. Learn to use an SLR camera, or get a P&S with fixed hyperfocal focus and greater DOF because of the small sensor.
09-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #88
Forum Member

Like ... a moth!

There these little moths here that I hate ('cause they eat your clothes!), so when I see one flying around, I try as hard as possible to catch it.

It's not easy, not because they fly all that fast, but because they're constantly and randomly changing direction with very high acceleration. If they fly straight for even a short while, I can easily snatch one out of the air, but as long as their movement is unpredictable, it's extremely hard, because my relatively huge hand requires some amount of lead time to arrive at the same spot they are.

Poor autofocus algorithms!
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
With 2 preschoolers, I can say it takes patience and foresight to get the right kid photos.
Have focus set early if they're in one spot and wait for the right moment to capture.
On the move, why not trap focus if light's good, or try full manual focus if not (I wouldn't even try AF assist - external flash or not with kids on the move).

i.e. getting kids on camera is 90% user technique and 10% camera/lens performance...
Why would AF assist slow things down? No calculations involved. Just curious why you mentioned this.
09-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
You are using the term "shutter lag" incorrectly. Shutter lag is the time between AFTER a lens has focused, to when the picture is taken. The K-7 has no discernable shutter lag unless you are using live view. P&S cameras have shutter lag problems. DSLR cameras do not. The K-7 shutter lag is essentially zero.
He probably just meant AF lag.