Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 not that great

Well I sold off all my gear, went down to Adorama to buy a K7 and came back empty handed. The K7 sure does feel nice and the new screen and menus are cool too. What I didn't like was that the AF/shutter lag and AFC is still slow compared to the other two major brands. I also did not like the fact that the new K7, like my older K10d will not burst shoot with flash. This is something that I miss when I had a Canon 30d.

09-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
For AF:
1) nikon d300
2) canon 50d
3) pentax k7d

But i don't think there is a big difference between canon 50d and pentax k7d for the autofocus system while if you considered all the system (body and lens) with same aperture probably the Canon wins because their motorized lenses are more faster then the Pentax SDM but it's necessary consider that Pentax is on the first edition of motorized lenses while Canon is ahead.

Also because is available for few time naturally costs more.

But i think the k7d is a really good compromise especially when the price will drop from some mounths.
09-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You're lucky you have a local shop with K-7

You're lucky you have a local shop with K-7.

Theres no Pentax K-7 to testdrive & consider via a hands on experience in my tiny half million person sized town.

At least you know it doesn't work for you irregardless of its specs without the having to return it in like new condition.

Check out the new Canon 7D that announced this morning...

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356
09-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
Well I sold off all my gear, went down to Adorama to buy a K7 and came back empty handed. The K7 sure does feel nice and the new screen and menus are cool too. What I didn't like was that the AF/shutter lag and AFC is still slow compared to the other two major brands. I also did not like the fact that the new K7, like my older K10d will not burst shoot with flash. This is something that I miss when I had a Canon 30d.
Ooops, you sort of did that the wrong way, hah! ....

Anyhow, with the AF-C I hope you made sure the lens correction was not turned ON, as that slows the camera. But, if AF was slow for you, then you should consider something faster...I think the K-7 was afster than the D300, but the Canon 5D mkII smoked them all (I amy be wrong, but a simple search should give you the timings...I think imaging resources have this as well)....why didn't you test this first, especially when your locl store has the K-7?...you only have yourself to blame here though.

P.S: Your title is misleading, but understandable given your frustration, but that frustartion IMO should be targeted against you and not Pentax. For me the AF is blindingly fast...I don't need anything faster.

09-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
You're lucky you have a local shop with K-7.

Theres no Pentax K-7 to testdrive & consider via a hands on experience in my tiny half million person sized town.
I know your pain. I don't think there is a Pentax SLR on a store shelf anywhere in my metro area of over a million people. The one common camera store chain (which I loathe, by the way) stopped putting Pentax in their stores a few years ago.

(No surprise that they stopped carrying Pentax. When I went in to try out a K100D, the guy spent the whole time telling me how much better off I'd be getting a Nikon D40x. When I told him I already had old Pentax glass, he said that backwards compatibility was a "gimmick" and no one in their right mind would want to use old manual lenses on a DSLR body.)
09-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
too bad that AF-C was such a priority for you. but if you had shoot or done enough testing with it, you might have liked it's metering and low-light performance. check the AWB as well.

regarding the burst-shooting with flash, is it a pop-up flash or separate flash?
09-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Damn Brit

I fail to see the logic in selling all your gear before you tried the K-7.

09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I fail to see the logic in selling all your gear before you tried the K-7.
Gary --- is there such a thing as logic in an illogical world???

kman
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
Gary --- is there such a thing as logic in an illogical world???

kman
The other day I cooked my dinner then threw it in the composting bin. I didn't feel like doing the dishes.
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other day I cooked my dinner then threw it in the composting bin. I didn't feel like doing the dishes.
but unless you use paper plates, the dishes won't compost anyway.

but back to the OP comments. What led him to some of the expectations in the first place, and what did he sell off?
09-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
but unless you use paper plates, the dishes won't compost anyway.

but back to the OP comments. What led him to some of the expectations in the first place, and what did he sell off?
I think it is lack of research or haven't been paying real attention. the so-called AF-C performance has been in circulation here in the forum for almost 2 months now. surely he wouldn't miss a topic which has been discussed several times already in multiple threads. as Gary mentioned, it doesn't any sense at all.
09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #12

I'm not sure what your expectations were based upon but I came from the Canon 5D and have been totally happy with the decision to go with the K-7. There isn't a perfect camera out there, sorry to tell you, mate. It's all about compromises. If you're a professional sports photographer with an unlimited budget, go get a Nikon D3x or a Canon pro model and stop complaining. If you're like the other 99.9% of the world, however, you've got to define what your absolute must have's are and just buy the system that fits those goals. It's not rocket science and there aren't magic bullets to fit all needs... modern digital cameras are about 10000x better than the old manual focus SLR's that professionals and amateurs alike used for decades. Keep the race for new features in perspective and just take some photos!
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_A Quote
I'm not sure what your expectations were based upon but I came from the Canon 5D and have been totally happy with the decision to go with the K-7. There isn't a perfect camera out there, sorry to tell you, mate. It's all about compromises. If you're a professional sports photographer with an unlimited budget, go get a Nikon D3x or a Canon pro model and stop complaining. If you're like the other 99.9% of the world, however, you've got to define what your absolute must have's are and just buy the system that fits those goals. It's not rocket science and there aren't magic bullets to fit all needs... modern digital cameras are about 10000x better than the old manual focus SLR's that professionals and amateurs alike used for decades. Keep the race for new features in perspective and just take some photos!
it is quite a practice that someone should do a research first before doing something illogical. if you are not certain about an item yet, don't buy it. what happened is that the OP seems to be keen or certain on buying the K-7, the became uncertain when he saw a feature that he didn't like or was unsatisfied with the performance. shutter lag could happen for a number of reasons or factors that contribute to it. particular lens that is used, slow memory card, lens correction enabled, and other features that could hinder the speed of focusing. even the shooting mode can contribute to AF speed AFAIK. like I observed that it seems that when shooting LV mode has much faster focusing as to compared to shooting under OV mode. is there anyone else that can affirm this besides me?

again, it is a practice that one should consider or prioritize the things that are important first before going overboard. in my case, it was only about fps and shutterspeed that made me choose the K-7 over the K20D. but I got a lot more than those features that I wanted and discovered that the other features were more important than the ones that I was looking for. how ironic.
09-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #14

very funny
at the risk on being labeled a sexist about women and logic
oh never mind

kman
09-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
I got tell you I have not noticed shutter lag at all with my K7 --- unless you are shooting in continuous drive mode with lens correction turned on.

kman

Last edited by kmanlaker; 09-01-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo