Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
No troll, check out my previous post in the forsale section. I sold my 16-45mm lens, grip/extra battery and Sigma flash to three other members on here. I sold my K10d body on ebay. I need a camera that will let me capture kids running around. I figured the k7 was the camera for me with it's high fps but the AF/ shutter lag is killing me, it's not really must faster than the k10d. Why do Pentax cameras focus, stop and refocus? At this point I don't know how to proceed.
I have 2 pre-school kids, and yes, they don't ever stop to let you take a photo. My kids seem to get even more boisterous when they see me holding the camera.
With the K-7 and DA 40 f/2.8 Limited, the AF is blindingly fast, instantaneous in practical terms. I've no problems keeping up with the kids.

You mentioned earlier about the Canon 30D with burst mode and flash. I've used the Canon 40D and 50D, and don't recall the flash recharge time being much different from the K-7's.
You must have used the 30D burst mode with flash / shutter decoupled - and you can do the same on the K-7 with the Custom menu setting.

09-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Show this thread to the kids & explain the shutter lag problems you're having..... maybe they'll sympathize with you & run around at a little slower pace.
best answer ever. I'm still laughing.
09-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was not going to say anything, but feel you are mistaken here.
first, I have a D700 and it compares very well in AF.C. In AF.S the Nikon is quite faster, but is also prone to miss shots...If You can't shoot kids with the K-7 then I am guessing you would also miss the good year blimp. The k-7 is pretty dang good at tracking. You also need to set it on selective focus for best results along with non macro lenses and preferably non sdm or hsm lenses. Yes the ole screw drive lenses are faster.

Secondly, good luck in your next venture, but be prepared to shell out in the area of 5K for a better canikon set up with 1 lens....
09-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No troll, check out my previous post in the forsale section. I sold my 16-45mm lens, grip/extra battery and Sigma flash to three other members on here. I sold my K10d body on ebay. I need a camera that will let me capture kids running around. I figured the k7 was the camera for me with it's high fps but the AF/ shutter lag is killing me, it's not really must faster than the k10d. Why do Pentax cameras focus, stop and refocus? At this point I don't know how to proceed.

This is not a problem with a camera. It's user error. I can't find the post now, but even with either the Nikon D3 or D3x had problems focusing a kid. It is all about technique.

The K-7 is improved, it can definitely do AF-C as you can see in the post below (not my shots...it's MightyMike's). Plenty enough for me, but my feelings are the Nikons are better at this (sorry, just notice Javiers comments, so may be not), but if you didn't see an improvemnet wth the K-7 over the K10D, then you probably will be wasting your money with the Nikons as well.

Ducks and (Geese in repliy) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

09-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
...irregardless...
This is not a word...
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #36
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With 2 preschoolers, I can say it takes patience and foresight to get the right kid photos.
Have focus set early if they're in one spot and wait for the right moment to capture.
On the move, why not trap focus if light's good, or try full manual focus if not (I wouldn't even try AF assist - external flash or not with kids on the move).

i.e. getting kids on camera is 90% user technique and 10% camera/lens performance...
09-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
...This...
That is not a word either... Sorry.

09-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all this talk about shooting kids and tracking motion.

I remember when the PZ-1 came out it had prefdictive AF, and with the power zoom a function called image size tracking, where it would zoom the lens in and out as a function of focus distance once the focus had locked on.

It all worked great, never had an issue until I decided to "test" it.

I put my daughter (then 2 1/2) on a swing, and stood at a 45 degree angle to the swing. I would have to say that I feel sorry for the focusing and zoom motors, because the computer simply could not analyze sinusoidal motion If the test involves some motion like this, then of course the focusing is $#!?

We have already debunked the burst mode while in flash issue, you can do it with external flash no problem.

Focusing I think is also user error. I don't see how you can do comparative shots when you are shooting a moving subject. No two will be the same
09-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
This is not a problem with a camera. It's user error. I can't find the post now, but even with either the Nikon D3 or D3x had problems focusing a kid. It is all about technique.

The K-7 is improved, it can definitely do AF-C as you can see in the post below (not my shots...it's MightyMike's). Plenty enough for me, but my feelings are the Nikons are better at this (sorry, just notice Javiers comments, so may be not), but if you didn't see an improvemnet wth the K-7 over the K10D, then you probably will be wasting your money with the Nikons as well.

Ducks and (Geese in repliy) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'm going to have to agree. The k-7 is plenty fast in af-c. And for all the complaints about the sloower fps in af-c, it's not that bad. K-7 is still way fast in af-c tracking a subject, then the K20d was in any mode. Everyone is always saying 3fps in af-c, but I would say mine seems to shoot around 4 fps with about a 95% in focus rate. It's only slightly slower than in af-s. And I don't buy that your k-7 can't keep up with kids. I was shooting college level 100 meter sprints the other day, and the k-7 could keep people in focus would were running at full blast, and I was zoomed in tight on them at 250mm, so that's no give away.
09-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #40
Veteran Member

This is not a word...
I think it's a redundant word. very funnyful thouh.
09-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Two kids --> take a lot of shots. I never use AF-C --> AF-S or manual. Bounce flash helps indoors to keep shutter speed at least at 180. Between 2-3 I mostly just shoot video if I really want to catch them - often moving too fast for stills - so maybe the K7 would help?
09-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

This is not a word...
According to Wikipedia.....Irregardless is a term meaning in spite of or anyway, that has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. It is generally listed in dictionaries as "incorrect" or "nonstandard".
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
I'm going to have to agree. The k-7 is plenty fast in af-c. And for all the complaints about the sloower fps in af-c, it's not that bad. K-7 is still way fast in af-c tracking a subject, then the K20d was in any mode. Everyone is always saying 3fps in af-c, but I would say mine seems to shoot around 4 fps with about a 95% in focus rate. It's only slightly slower than in af-s. And I don't buy that your k-7 can't keep up with kids. I was shooting college level 100 meter sprints the other day, and the k-7 could keep people in focus would were running at full blast, and I was zoomed in tight on them at 250mm, so that's no give away.
I was shooting a bird in flight some days ago. just to try out the AF-C speed. I used the 55-300 set at 300. guess what? the 3 successive photos running around 3.5 - 4 fps (approx. guess estimate) were all in focus, not to mention that tracking that darn bird was difficult enough because it was swooping and flying in erratic directions. the AF-C speed is ok, but had to pause after 3 or 4 shots when the buffer fills and empties out after a few sec. was using a slower card and jpeg was shoot at max resolution, max quality, and all corrections enabled (including lens and shadows). at standard normal and low settings with ON corrections, the buffer fills longer, so much more when corrections are turned off, so more shots can be taken is succession. shooting RAW would be much worse that shooting jpegs with the kind of card that I'm using right now.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 09-02-2009 at 08:12 PM.
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #44
Veteran Member

but the AF/ shutter lag is killing me, .
You are using the term "shutter lag" incorrectly. Shutter lag is the time between AFTER a lens has focused, to when the picture is taken. The K-7 has no discernable shutter lag unless you are using live view. P&S cameras have shutter lag problems. DSLR cameras do not. The K-7 shutter lag is essentially zero.
09-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
You are using the term "shutter lag" incorrectly. Shutter lag is the time between AFTER a lens has focused, to when the picture is taken. The K-7 has no discernable shutter lag unless you are using live view. P&S cameras have shutter lag problems. DSLR cameras do not. The K-7 shutter lag is essentially zero.
maybe what he meant was the shutter pauses after some time between shooting. I don't think that the term is shutter lag also but more of buffer fill. the shutter stops when the camera is emptying out the buffer. of course some people dont experience this with a faster card used.