Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Serious question...

This may sound stupid, but I have been told there are no stupid questions.

Do you have to turn the camera off when changing lenses?

05-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote

It's a good question. I normally turn off the camera, when changing lenses, for several reasons.

I am not sure if this is true or not, but the small electrical charges going through the lens contacts/pins may attract dust. I also try to face the camera downwards when changing, so hopefully fewer specks will land inside the camera's lens mount.

That all being said, if it's an AF lens, the camera will normally auto-detect the changes.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-19-2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
05-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the same doubt,

on the other day i changed the lens, and only after, i realised i didn't had turned the camera off... at first i went in panic, but after a few shots everything seemed to be OK.
05-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I occasionally forget to turn the camera off when changing lenses. Several times I noticed problems with the AF mechanism when I did it with the DS (not always, only occasionally). I haven't noticed problems with the K10, but long ago I got into the habit of turning it off - I rarely forget now.

05-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a stupid question at all

The short answer is NO. You do not have to turn the camera off to change lenses, but as Marc said the charged sensor does seem to attract more dust. I used to never turn the camera off when changing lenses, and never had any problems with camera operation afterwards, even when going from an old manual lens to a new auto one or vice versa. Then I heard about the charged sensor attracting dust, and started turning off the camera, it now seems that I'm cleaning the sensor less often, but that may be due to other factors as well. (quicker lens changes, making sure the lens is clean before mounting, keeping the lens opening from facing upwards, etc.) But since I dislike cleaning the sensor (even just blowing off dust) I now turn the camera off.

NaCl(my full answer would be: no you do not, but it is a good idea to get into the habit)H2O
05-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The only other potential issue would be with SR in manual lenses. You would have to go into the menu system somewhere to change the focal length used by SR. Much easier to just quickly turn it off and back on again, and then change the FL.
05-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

It was a great question with good tips and information - like others I know it is a good habbit - but as this is my first (D)SLR - my actual success rate of remembering to date is about the same as Shaq's free throw precentage (same for taking out my memory card)
05-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Forum Member

I've never made a conscious (sp?) effort to turn the camera off when changing lenses, and I've never had a problem. I do, however, turn the camera / flash off when connecting / disconnecting anything from the flash shoe...

05-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the replies everyone, glad I asked. I was expecting to get scolded like a 3 year old for breaking the vase.
05-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Don't Know

I always do, as I want to be sure that the camera detects the change and other than that I don't know why I do..

No help I guess..
05-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

By habit - I always shut the camera off when changing lenses - a hold over from locking the shutter on my old Manual cameras (could never remember if I wound them or not) - saved my bacon multiple times - shooting with no lens. Film was expensive back then - especially Ecktachrome Infrared.

As for a charge on the senor - yes that is there, but the shutter is closed - if dust can fly out of the air-around the mirror-and through the shutter - just by the charge ---- man that's one heck of a charge. Or I do not want to meet your dust in a dark alley if you know what I mean.

I turn my camera off - just by habit - and it is set to shut off at the minimum in the menu's - so far the startup time has not been an issue. However, I would suggest that you turn the camera off when you change the lens - transient voltages on the lens/body contacts may have an unexpected result.

PDL
05-20-2007, 04:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've had my K100D since September. I always turn my camera off before changing lenses. I change lenses a LOT, do most of my shooting outdoors, never point the camera downwards, and have had to clean dust off my sensor once.

So while it may not be necessary to shut the camera down when changing lenses, in my experience doing so is a good idea.