Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cideway, UltraWide, RodConn: Panning and SR question

I've just caved in and ordered a K10D and it should be here in time for this year's Biggin Hill Air Fair.

You three all posted air show pictures on the forum a while back, and I wonder if you have an opinion on whether SR should be turned on or off when panning?

All advice gratefully received.

05-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Helen, if I were you, I would turn off SR during panning. High shutter speed is the key to freeze action.

Numerous Long discussions about how SR works in various threads previously already.
05-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks roentarre!

I'll have a trawl around.

As panning involves voluntary movement of the camera, it could make the SR go crazy, so I'm not surprised that you say to turn it off.
05-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Helen,
The air shows I've done, I found I got better results with SR Off.

05-20-2007, 02:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
I reckon I should have put a poll on this post, and that had I done so, the results would be coming back biassed towards turning SR off!

I'd better go and read the other discussions on SR rather than starting a new one here, but Biggin Hill has mainly propeller aircraft being shown, and for those, you don't want too fast a shutter speed or you freeze the propellers, so a shutter speed of no more than 1/125 is required, which requires quite a steady hand with a 28-300 attached to the camera. I did it last year with the *ist DS, which doesn't have SR, and my results weren't bad, although you wouldn't have wanted to enlarge them too much or the lack of absolute sharpness would have started to show.

I might try some pictures with SR and some without and compare the results on the computer later for future reference. I can try reviewing on the back panel, but doubt whether I can zoom in sufficiently to be able to tell as much about sharpness as I'll be able to tell on the computer. Of course, if SR obviously works against panning, I could get my answer on the day, but if it's more subtle, I'll probably need to review my results so that I know better what to do for next year.
05-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Hi - I did leave the SR on so that non panned images had the advantage and panned photos probably simply locked the sensor movement mechanism.

BUT - this was only a guess and a bit of testing would probably be far more valuable than a guess

Rod
05-25-2007, 04:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

Hi HelenEdith

You have got me thinking. I was at the show for two and a half days and I don't recall turning off SR. I generally have it on all the time and would used it for the static displays and 'on the runway' shots. So, it would appear I have ignored the manual, all the advice and current wisdom by panning with SR ON!!!

Cheers from OZ'
05-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, RodConn and UltraWide.

I think because of wanting a relatively slow shutter speed to get some movement into propellers that I might leave SR on, too! It might be able to jiggle in the vertical plane, even if it's locked solid in the horizontal plane due to panning.

Yes, my K10D is here! I'm looking forward to our long weekend this weekend to put it through its paces, but the weather does not look promising. Maybe I should put the weather seals to the test anyway, as there's a big Steam Rally on this weekend and I fancy photographing all those lovely traction engines. There are also bands, so maybe I'll try my hand at a bit of gig photography too. SR should definitely come in handy there!

Then the following w/e is Biggin Hill, and we've got tickets.

05-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The K100D recomends turning off SR when panning with slow shutter speeds. The key is what is a "slow shutter speed" - not defined. I did notice it causes a problem when testing it on cars going by at 1/60 and thereabouts.

You could open the K10D PDF manual on the Pentax website and read what they recommend.
05-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I was at the airshow for the three days, i alternated between having SR on and off during the weekend, noticed no real difference, i cannot tell which shots had it on and which didn't.
05-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
SpecialK: I downloaded the PDF manual before my K10D arrived, and I've read the SR pages. You're right about them not saying a lot!

Cideway: Maybe you've got a steady hand...

I'm not happy with the weather we've had for our Bank Holiday weekend here in England. It's been typical English Bank Holiday weather - i.e. wet! And cold. And windy.

Anyway, we haven't been to the traction engine rally, so I really haven't had a chance to put the K10D through its paces before Biggin Hill next weekend. I'm thinking of doing some indoor stuff this afternoon. I've got some objects I want to photograph for my website, and today's as good a day as any for doing it.