Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a recent hike at and around Oregon's most popular tourist spot (Multnomah Falls), I counted 25 dSLRs:
  • Pentax 5
  • Olympus 1
  • Sony 1
  • Nikon 10
  • Canon 8
Mind you, the tour buses were loaded with Asian visitors, so the Pentax count may have been inflated somewhat by savvy photographers from that part of the world. In addition, the general Portland, Oregon vicinity is sort of a hotbed for Pentax users. I think there are at least 20 people on this forum from Oregon and southwest Washington.

Steve

(Still have yet to see a K7 in the wild...heck, I haven't even seen one in a store...)

09-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saw one with a K10 a year ago in the wilds of Florida. That's all in a 3 year period with 6 florida trips, 1 to the badlands and 3 to wash, DC. Numerous shooters with C & N.
09-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On a recent hike at and around Oregon's most popular tourist spot (Multnomah Falls), I counted 25 dSLRs:
  • Pentax 5
  • Olympus 1
  • Sony 1
  • Nikon 10
  • Canon 8
Mind you, the tour buses were loaded with Asian visitors, so the Pentax count may have been inflated somewhat by savvy photographers from that part of the world. In addition, the general Portland, Oregon vicinity is sort of a hotbed for Pentax users. I think there are at least 20 people on this forum from Oregon and southwest Washington.

Steve

(Still have yet to see a K7 in the wild...heck, I haven't even seen one in a store...)
You are right about the Asians. I recently spent almost a month touring China and was amazed at the number of Pentax users, including apparent pros.
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
Forum Member

I haven'y seen any in my neck of the woods, at a recent photo club meeting, people were surprised that Pentax still made camera's. I gladly hand over my K20, and some were slightly impressed.

09-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that was my 3rd pentaxian too, i think. saw one in NYC when I was going home one night, saw one on our Caribean cruise a couple years back-both times didn't have a chance to say anything.

this one, i think was an Asian tourist. i mean, definetly asian, coulda been a tourist lol.

now, if my short term contract goes perm, i can get a k7 to compare and take out on my own...
09-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • Pentax 5
  • Olympus 1
  • Sony 1
  • Nikon 10
  • Canon 8

Steve

Hopefully the K7 issue works out down there, but I think Cascadia (BC, Washington, Oregon) has always been a Pentax hotbed. It's the proximity to Asia. There is a huge Asian influence here...at least in BC.

The K-7 is on sale at L&S with lens. London drugs has a whack of combos (bodies / lenses) available and they did a rep tour a few weekends ago. If you look at the branding across the showcase at the store where I am Pentax is in the middle with Canon and Nikon. It wasn't this way a year ago.....they have made a little bit of a rebound...like they did after the huge boost they had with the k10d. I kinda think the k20d was a little too close to the k10d to attract market share.

Anyways...it would be hard to go to a camera store here and not have a few K-7s available. Showroom sales helps drive the number you see out in the street.
09-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I went to Belgium recently & saw far more Pentaxians there than I have ever seen either in Spain or home in the UK. I identified an ist*D & a K100D, not sure about the others. I also saw four photography shops with the Pentax Pro Centre sticker in the window & a bunch of lenses. Here in Madrid I've only ever seen one & that's because I went looking for it. In Edinburgh (my home town) I don't think it's possible to buy a Pentax DSLR in a b&m shop.

09-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I was down at the airport shooting the red arrows coming in and saw a Pentax user. I was so excited I clean forgot about the jets and missed them completely but was well impressed that I managed to get this very rare beast on a photo.

It made the day complete

09-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I was down at the airport shooting the red arrows coming in and saw a Pentax user. I was so excited I clean forgot about the jets and missed them completely but was well impressed that I managed to get this very rare beast on a photo.

It made the day complete
That's one of the shills on Pentax's payroll sent out into the world to convince people that Pentax cameras are more popular than they are. He probably shoots with a Canikon when he's not "working".
09-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I thought I had finally stumbled onto my first sighting the other day (& quite a handsome, striking fellow he was), but alas, it turned out only to be my reflection in a plate glass window.

I saw one at a Beachvolley event, with the K100, before I got to buy the K10 for myself. Just had to stop and have a short chat with him