Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is harder on the camera? Taking one shot at a time or shooting in rapid fire. I guess if the shutter button dies couldn't you use the the battery grip button?

09-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't buy electronic stuff second hand...mechanical constructions, that's another thing. If they fail, you can fix them.
Not that I've had much electronic stuff breaking for me. My Sony stereo from mid 80's still work and so do my first computer: Commendore VIC-20. My first two electronic Pentax cameras: my Super-A and Program-A still work after probably 20000 and 10000 shot each. My *istDS on the other hand recently begun to insist on shooting wide open all the time. A bokeh camera
Still, it is my impression that you see many working 2nd hand DSLRs for sale, but few are announced as broken/for repair/for parts etc. Does that mean that they are not yet failing in large numbers?

Don't talk to me about washing machines...
09-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I would not buy a used camera if it has more than 3000 shutter activations. Why 3000? no reason really...just a "round" figure
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Sorry to complicate matters, but I'd just mention that the funny part is that manufacturers often model the lifetime of their products exponentially, which means that the amount of use they've experienced thus far has no bearing on how long it will continue to last if it is working today (memoryless property).

Generally, the failure is quite sudden, i.e. you will find new cameras DOA about as frequently as trying several used samples and finding that one doesn't fire properly. It is generally difficult to predict how much longer any body will last, and not always safe to assume newer implies less likely to fail.

Because of this behaviour, I am not afraid to buy used, with careful consideration to how the item was previously used rather than how much it was used (within reason). Just about any item I've owned has lasted under a few days, or at least several years (i.e. still working).

09-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

i reached 20K in a matter of 3 months on my k20d while my 2 year old k10d is just at 31K. both are looking good!
09-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
My *istDS on the other hand recently begun to insist on shooting wide open all the time. A bokeh camera
Just wondering if a disconnected spring might be the problem?
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
While I appreciate the comments here, you all should know I'm not buying this camera off ebay. I'm buying from KEH that warrants their cameras. If it doesn't work when I get it, I can return for a full refund including shipping before their 60 day warranty runs out. Plus I plan to ask them all the pertinent questions that are needed before purchasing.

09-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have another question about the K100. It says it uses SD cards. What is the maximum size it can use?
09-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I have another question about the K100. It says it uses SD cards. What is the maximum size it can use?
For SD cards, you are limited to 2GB. It can use SDHC cards with the right firmware applied. The current size limit for SDHC is 32GB.
09-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Dave. I just checked with the Pentax site and I can download and install the firmware update to use SDHC cards. Luckily, my p&s has a 2gb SD card I can use until I can afford to buy a SDHC in higher gbs.
09-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks Dave. I just checked with the Pentax site and I can download and install the firmware update to use SDHC cards. Luckily, my p&s has a 2gb SD card I can use until I can afford to buy a SDHC in higher gbs.
Just make sure your card reader can take SDHC if you aren't using the USB cable.
09-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, it does. I bought it especially for that reason, that it accepts both. Usually, using a usb connection drains the batteries.
09-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Keep your fingers crossed but I am close to getting either the K100D or the K10D in October. Since I quit smoking, I'm saving money, and with next income check gets here, I'm trying to decide which to get.

The K100D uses AA batteries, right? How long do they last if you use lithium instead of the others?

The K10D comes with charger and battery. Question, do I really need a grip to start with?
09-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Keep your fingers crossed but I am close to getting either the K100D or the K10D in October. Since I quit smoking, I'm saving money, and with next income check gets here, I'm trying to decide which to get.

The K100D uses AA batteries, right? How long do they last if you use lithium instead of the others?

The K10D comes with charger and battery. Question, do I really need a grip to start with?
My K100D Super can go a couple hundred shots on a charge (NiMH rechargeables). It's a little funky though because the battery level reads the voltage of the battery, so sometimes the camera thinks the battery s dead, but if you turn it off and back on, it will show the battery with a charge again.

The batteries are cheap so it doesn't hurt to carry around an extra set or two.
09-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, so what about buying the grip straight away?

They are supposed to have a Super coming in and I've got an email supposed to come to me when it arrives, but haven't heard yet and it's been a week.