Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good news. I have managed to save half the money I need to buy the K100D by mid October. I can't wait to get that in my hands.

09-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K100D, yep good as any to start with. K100D was my starter DSL. Bought one new + couple years ago, and straight from the box it had a problem. Wouldn't maintain time-date settings, so back to Pentax it went because the local dealer didn't have another one on hand. 3 weeks later I had it back with all kind of new parts inside according to tek. report. Havn't had another problem since. 7600 photo's. Next purchase was a K10, about 2years ago. 8532 Photo's. No problems.. Next is istDL 2763 photo's, got just after K10. Now used exclusive for m42's, A lot of macro. 10 months ago I purchased the K20 (my go with camera), 3230 photo's all the others are just tag-alongs. Then/// couple month's ago A K100D-Super showed up in a store NIB/ with 2 lenses for $360. PayPal and free shipping that one now has 83 photo's recorded. Notice I never mentioned anything about trading or selling any of my Babies. So may you have the best of luck with the K100 or the 100Super if that is the way you go and I am sure they will serve you well jim
09-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jim. I have looked at a K100D Super but it's still a bit out of reach money wise. The K100D comes with cables, a SD memory card, and caps.

I figure I can use the K100D for practice and get a K10 or K20 next year. I'm looking forward to not using so much film and being able to load here in a day instead of days.
09-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

I started with the K100 just 4 years ago, and then upgraded to the K20 about 4 months ago keeping the K100 too. Its a wonderful camera, small, light, and I especially like the top LCD panel. Very easy to use.

The reason for the upgrade, was there were a couple of functions on the same menu that I wanted to use together, I wanted some additional resolution, and the 3 frame write buffer was a bit small for HDR.

The reason for keeping the K100, was as a backup and a second body, the low noise sensor is useful to me for some aspects of night shooting, its physical size and weight.

I figure that I will bypass the K7 and wait until the K8 or whatever it may be, comes out and drops in price, if it has improved noise control along with auto focusing, and a better approach to black frame subtraction. I figure that I will probably still keep the K100 and maybe let the K20 go - I only really need 2 bodies. Who knows - since that is at least another 2 years away....

09-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks interested.
Have you checked the lastest in the k line. There is now the K-x, at a lot less cost than the K-7 and it also does video. for myself, I don't care for having video on a photo camera, if I wanted a video camera, I'd buy a camcorder.
09-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #36

I would have no issue under 50k actuations, over that the price would have to be even more tempting
09-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I have now only to wait for the money to get to me and I can buy that camera. Should take a few weeks. no emoticon for extremely happy, but that's what I am now.
09-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more question. In ordering this camera it says it comes with cables. Is that just a usb cable or is it other cables and do I really need them. I have a USB card reader that reads both SD and SDHC.

09-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

The cable is the USB connection. One end is the micro USB that plugs into the camera with the other being a standard connector. This way you can dump the images directly from the camera into the PC.

On your KX question - yes I saw it, but I do like the 2 wheel operation of the K20, so my current thinking is to jump versions and every few years when there is something new that is appealing go with a new body, after it comes down in price. Right now the K20 is everything I need or want. There are some things I wish it would do a bit differently or better, but no camera is perfect, so I am fine for a number of years - 2, 3, 4, .... There are folks out there with *ist's that are taking great images.

I have pretty much all the glass that that I wanted, so essentially I am set. Just going out and taking pictures.

09-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer on the cable. I can get a camera with or without and the prices are about $10 apart. I don't really need the cable as I have the card reader. Plus I probably have an extra micro USB around here that will fit. I have several on hand.

I was considering the KX but then I thought about the movie portion which I said before, I'd never use. No sense in spending more than I can afford for something I'd never use.

I am not new to photography just digital cameras.
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I understand, both the KM/2000 and the KX do not have the top window. The sensor's resolution has been improved along with the auto focusing system. When I come upon a difficult focusing situation where the camera just hunts, just flip it to manual focusing and continue.

I will say, that I have found more than sufficient ways to work around what ever problem presents itself. I think in the end it makes you a better photographer. However, the orientation sensor - I just got tired of flipping all the images to the correct orientation on the K100. It was a little thing, but with the K20 marking them appropriately, where by the software just handles it now.

09-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Ash, thanks.

raider, good to hear as the model you have is the one I was/am considering purchasing, and used at that.
I had well over 30,000 photos on my K100D, when I gave it to my student Vanessa.
I haven't the faintest idea how many photographs she's taken with it since then, however it's still treating her as good as it did the day I bought it new
09-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks little laker. I have more confidence in buying used now. I'm also closer to buying. Definitely before the end of October now.

And I've bought no more film. I have one roll of b&w I'm going to finish, but I'm not buying any more.
09-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Are you planning to shoot RAW of Jpg?
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Probably RAW. I have never used a digital that shot RAW so I'll have to wait and see.