Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #46
Veteran Member

In that case, avoid the 100D.

09-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have never shot RAW because of my using film cameras. I see the K100D only shoots PEF and Jpg but if the JPG is high resolutions they should print ok.

I don't intend this to be my only Digital, this just my learning digital.
09-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Coming back to this, what the heck is PEF? I've googled but only found answers/questions about people not being able to read PEF on their computers. Which by the way won't be a problem for me.
09-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Coming back to this, what the heck is PEF? I've googled but only found answers/questions about people not being able to read PEF on their computers. Which by the way won't be a problem for me.
PEF is pentax's propriatary fole format for RAW. Each manufacturer has a different format, and the file extensions reflect this. When you shoot RAW with pentax the file name ends with PEF, not RAW

DNG is adobe's open format which all manufacturer's may pr may not elect to support.

Note that some programs will not recognize the PEF files from different pentax cameras

I use PSP having started with this at version 8 when it was still published by JASC software.

I had to wait for updates before it could read my K10D files and the latest version can't read my K7 files.

09-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you use Photoshop you can download a plug-in to covert PEFs for free. I have it, and used it once for a RAW test. I shoot all in JPG.
09-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lowell, thanks for the explanations. I checked with my four photo editors and none of them will read PEF. Although three of them will read RAW.

builtospill, I'll check to see if I can get a plugin from Adobe. I have two Adobe editors, PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements.
09-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My PSE doesn't have a plugin I can get for PEF files, neither does PS7. So, I'll probably shoot JPG. Unless of course I can get enough money saved to get the K10D I saw on my site.

09-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photolady

there are many options if your editor does not read PEF files from your camera.

FIst of all you can use the software that comes with the camera (I know it is an additional step) and convert to TIF.

Or, Adobe make a converter that converts files to DNG.

I used this with my K7 and the converter could read the PEF files just fine, and convert them to DNG which PSP X2 can read.

This might be worth a try, because it preserves your origonal files in PEF form as well, for the time your editor catches up, and also it serves as a back up in case you want to start over on editing a file
09-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell. I was just reading that the newest Faststone Image Viewer does convert PEF to DNG. So I may do that instead. I have an older version of this viewer but will download and install the newer one. I use this image viewer to convert my tiff files to jpg for uploading to flickr, to upload here.
09-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Honestly, how many times have you heard of a shutter failing?

I'd be more concerned about the owner and if they smoke or if they treated it poorly. Look for strong reputations on the forum and I mean feedback not just well known names.
why does smoking affect the shutter lifespan? and is it okay if im just smoking pot??
09-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Smoking can cause problems because of the tar emitting from the cigarettes. If it gets inside your camera, as it does computers, or any electronic devices, it can clog things up.
10-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #57
Veteran Member

used dslr and cables

photolady, I too am in the market for a used dslr so this whole line of questioning was informative to me.
I am wondering though, aren't cables important to download firmware updates? Otherwise, how does one get that information into the camera.
Hope someone here on the forum can answer this question. Thanks.
10-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nope, you download the update to your empty SD card, place the card in the camera and you're done. More detailed instructions are available on Pentax's firmware update Web site.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
photolady, I too am in the market for a used dslr so this whole line of questioning was informative to me.
I am wondering though, aren't cables important to download firmware updates? Otherwise, how does one get that information into the camera.
Hope someone here on the forum can answer this question. Thanks.
10-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Thanks builttospill.
Answered a question that was bugging me and stopping me from considering cameras without the usb cable.
10-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm glad you asked Jools, because I didn't know either. Though I was told the cables were for uploading your photos, but I have a SD/SDHC card reader so I am good to go on that option.