Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Clean it yourself. I bought a Sensor Klear pen, this is what one of the local camera repair/sales store uses:

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

Sensorklear Review

I don't buy that no matter how many pictures they add.

Use the Pentax Kit.

09-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #17

I clean my sensor once or twice every month. I use the Arctic Butterfly and the Sensor Loupe from Visible Dust. I'm very pleased so far.
09-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #18

I've used a lenspen to clean my lenses for a while now - I always give the lens a good couple of puffs with a blower and wipe it with a brush. I then breathe on the lens to fog it up slightly and use the lenspen to clean, "refreshing" the pen with graphite from the cap if needed. The blow off, just to get rid of possible graphite residue. I've found it works and never did any visible damage.
If the dirt looks like the lenspen might actually drag it across the lens (dried on gunk rather than a fingerprint), I use high-purity isopropyl alcohol with lens cleaning tissue.

The coatings on lenses can be quite tough (tougher than the glass they cover in many cases, but it's very dependent on the coating type) and graphite is actually a sensible way of cleaning things. If you get say, a minuscule bit of sand between the lens and pen then, yeah, it won't be pretty - but it would be quite silly to use a lenspen if you can see particles on the surface - they have a brush right on the other end!

Having said that, I have never touched a sensor with anything but a blast of air. It's so deep in the camera that I don't trust myself to poke stuff in there. Even with a plainly accessible lens surface and good tools, there is a bit of a knack to cleaning things without leaving some residue behind (solvents can evaporate and leave behind the gunk they dissolved, q-tips and microfiber cloth leave behind fibers, lenspens can shed graphite powder) and removing dirt rather than just scraping it about the surface. With a sensor, I'd rather avoid it, and it's never been absolutely necessary.

I would quite like it if more cameras had the system from Sigma dSLRs with a removable protective filter in front of the whole sensor/mirror assembly. I could just take the whole thing out and stick it in an ultrasonic bath in some alcohol for 10 minutes.
09-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Ok, but I wouldn't generalize that particular lens, I was speaking for Canon FD lenses which I am more familiar / converted from, we'll never know the exact durability of the coatings. So, I prefer to be paranoid.
Things have improved over the years. While my Summar's front element scratches if I as much as look at it, I clean the 400/5.6 with my shirt sleeve or t-shirt when it gets grubby. Front element of that thing still looks like new.

09-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
I clean my sensor once or twice every month. I use the Arctic Butterfly and the Sensor Loupe from Visible Dust. I'm very pleased so far.
That's the combo that the local camera shop uses. For a lens and camera addict, they will clean your sensor for free; otherwise its $50.

Anyway, I watched him use the Arctic Butterfly on my K200D... it took one easy pass and all the dust was gone. I ordered it with the loupe for myself.
09-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

DealExtreme Search: air blower

i use the one that costs $3.51 2nd row from bottom, but it's sold out. i'm sure the others are just was good. i have never once given my camera to a store for sensor cleaning, always used that air blower without fail, and it always get my dust off the sensor personally, unless you have cash to blow, i don't see the logic in spending cash where you don't need to. buy of those blowers for $5 and have unlimited cleanings

this one looks good http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18555 or http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8233
09-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Don't use a lens pen for cleaning sensors, there are 2 things you need to get,
That's why you use the sensor pen. It has a smaller tip and works great.