Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Getting Max Exposure Range in K200D

I'm new to HDR and fairly new to dslr, so I would appreciate any help with the following. I have a K200D and cannot figure out anyway to get a wide range of exposures (at least 5). I can get -2 . 0 +2, but would love to be able to add another digit on each end. Does anyone have a suggestion. (use kindergarten language, please. )

09-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming you are doing it with auto bracketing, you are out of luck +/-2 stops is about it for auto bracketing. However...I just attended a seminar put on by Tamron in my local store with a landscape/nature photographer (Don Gale). He's getting into HDR and I had the opportunity to ask him a few questions. Basically, he never uses auto bracketing for HDR (too much chance of movement by the mirror). What he does, always on a tripod, is quickly takes a series of images, manually changing the settings. He also uses the mirror up feature (on a Pentax that's the 2 sec. time delay mode). The resulting images 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or whatever, can be combined in a HDR program. So...if you want to try that (I haven't yet either), you'd get a good focus, get a good f stop, then varry the shutter speed +/- the number of stops you want. It also helps if you have a remote shutter release.

Hopefully that was clear. Give it a whirl.
09-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you so much for replying. Would you mind helping with one more thing. As I said in the post, I've still fairly new to dslr, but I understand that with HDR you must maintain the same aperture for DOF. So, I suppose (have no clue) that that leaves shutter speed. Correct?
09-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm so embarrassed. You told me "plain as day" to adjust the shutter speed. I was just so excited to be getting help, I just skimmed the message. As my granddaughter would say, "My bad!" I'll give this a try first thing tomorrow. Again, thanks so very much!!