Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should know this, but . . .

For tak and other manual lenses, is there any advantage between the ist-d, ist-dl, ist-ds or the 100d cameras? I'm looking to get a dslr for manual lenses and to back up my k10d.

09-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No but get a *istD, it's still the best layout of the earlier models before the k10D.
09-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D and DS have the same viewfinder as the K10D; the others all have the smaller pentamirror viewfinder. i don't find it a *huge* deal, and the O-ME53 magnifier on a pentamirror camera brings it closer to the what you are used to, but it's worth mentioning. On the other other hand, the ist models all lack SR.
09-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Are the D and DS focusing screens the same? I bought a DS screen for my K10D and it did a good job of avoiding exposure adjustments. I can't remember if the screen I had bought was also compatible with the D. I guess what I am wondering is the exposure issues with the manual lenses dealt with the same by the D and DS (as opposed to DL or 100D)?

09-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The k100d/Super have sensor shift. This makes them the two top choices in my book.
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The metering issues you experienced with manual lenses the K10D that were solved with the focus screen change are unqiue to that model and the K20D. None of the other models have these problems. So while I'm not sure if the D and DS screens are the same, they both work correctly for metering, as do the DL and K100D screens, which are definitely different from the DS.

BTW, with the D, I think you'll need to make sure you have the latest firmware in order to get manual lenses to meter at all. I'd guess most of the one you find used would already have that done, and even if not, it's probably still possible to get the firmware update, but you might want to look into that.
09-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
No but get a *istD, it's still the best layout of the earlier models before the k10D.
..... I concur.