Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K2000 catch focus problem (need help!)

I have been using my k2000 in catch focus mode, but yesterday it stopped working right. I had been holding the shutter release button and focusing the lens and that was working fine, now all I get is a beep when the lens is in focus and the catch focus feature doesn't work anymore. I tried removing the batteries, removing the lens, and switching catch focus mode in the menu, but I can't get it to work anymore. What I mean is that the camera is set to catch focus mode, but it takes pictures regardless of whether the lens is focused or not.

Help!

Last edited by dragonfly; 09-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.
09-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera in AF-C (auto focus - continuous) mode? I believe with the K200D (not K-2000, mind you, don't accidentally mix up the D and the 0), if it's in AF-C mode as opposed to AF-S, the camera will take pictures whenever you fully press the shutter release.
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Per the manual - you have to be in AF.A or AF.S. Also, make sure the body is set to AF. I just tested this with a M135mm and it worked in AF.A with the body set to AF.

I don't have one bit it also states if you have a DA or FA lens with a AF/MF switch on it you have to it to MF.

Last edited by wasser; 09-16-2009 at 12:55 PM.
09-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions. I tried those settings in the field but nothing changed. I was using catch focus mode successfully then it just quit on me and I had to focus in manually. It's more effort to do it manually, but I found that I was able to focus with my eye better than the camera. (I'm using a manual focus lens).

The only difference now is that in catch focus mode I hear a beep to indicate proper focus.

Still, I'd like to be able to use the feature. Is there a way to reset my camera?

09-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I put my kit lens on to see if it acted differently, but it won't do capture focus, either.
09-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The beep you're hearing has nothing to do with "catch-in-focus". "Focus Beep" is configurable in the menu under "Set up" tab # 1 (looks like a wrench). You can configure when the camera beeps. "Catch-in-focus" is under the "Custom settings" tab #3.

With these settings my K2000 works consistently:

Catch-in-focus - set to "2" for on
Body AF/MF switch - set to AF (this is true for MF only and AF capable lenses)
AF Mode - set to AF.S or AF.A (set to AF.C it doesn't work as ChooseAName mentioned)

Then I just hold the shutter button and let the camera focus or focus manually as needed, and it snaps the picture upon focus.

I've now successfully tried this with the kit lens as well.

If you're doing all that, then I'm not sure what the problem is.
09-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I tried repeating a variety of those options, and now the catch focus feature is working again. I'm not sure what it was, but it works.

09-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

I am wondering if "Catch-in-focus" is working with manual lenses? I haven't tried it yet....
09-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
I am wondering if "Catch-in-focus" is working with manual lenses? I haven't tried it yet....
I thought that catch-in focus was for manual focus lenses.
09-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It works for both manual and AF lenses with a AF/MF switch. In my posts above I used it with my M135 manual only lens. I've also used it with my M42 mount lenses.

Last edited by wasser; 09-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.
09-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I thought that catch-in focus was for manual focus lenses.
ok, right now I have tried using Catch-in Focus with my manual lenses, it's not working

the camera setup:
focusing - Manual
Catch in Focus - enabled

What i am doing wrong ?
09-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
ok, right now I have tried using Catch-in Focus with my manual lenses, it's not working

the camera setup:
focusing - Manual
Catch in Focus - enabled

What i am doing wrong ?
Be sure you're using the settings below:

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
With these settings my K2000 works consistently:

Catch-in-focus - set to "2" for on
Body AF/MF switch - set to AF (this is true for MF only and AF capable lenses)
AF Mode - set to AF.S or AF.A (set to AF.C it doesn't work as ChooseAName mentioned)
It appears you've set the camera body to MF. It has to be set to AF for the catch-in-focus to work.
09-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Be sure you're using the settings below:

It appears you've set the camera body to MF. It has to be set to AF for the catch-in-focus to work.

ooohhh, I got it.
I will try it again! Thank you !!!
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #14

I dont understand how this works with AF lenses. I can't get it to work as intended. In AF mode, with an AF lens it just focuses and you cant mess with it. if i do quick shift after AF confirm it will take the picture out of focus.

i tried setting the AF button so that it would not AF on shutter press, but this will take pictures without focus confirmation.

i tried using AF button to cancel AF when pressing shutter button, but this will take pictures without focus confirmation.

what am i doing wrong here? (i was in AF.S in all situations)
09-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
I dont understand how this works with AF lenses.
It works very simply. After making sure the camera is set correctly, you just press and hold the shutter button, you manually focus, and then the shutter triggers as soon as an object is in focus. To "catch" another item in focus you have to release the shutter button and then press it again.

I can't get it to work as intended. In AF mode, with an AF lens it just focuses and you cant mess with it. if i do quick shift after AF confirm it will take the picture out of focus.
What do you mean by, "you can't mess with it"?

i tried setting the AF button so that it would not AF on shutter press, but this will take pictures without focus confirmation.

i tried using AF button to cancel AF when pressing shutter button, but this will take pictures without focus confirmation.

what am i doing wrong here? (i was in AF.S in all situations)
The AF button has nothing to do with this operation. Once you have the settings correct you only have to press and hold the shutter button till something comes in focus and the camera triggers the shutter.

Based on the information given, I can only think of two possible problems:

1. You've not set the camera correctly
2. You have a lens with a MF/AF switch on it.

In the last case the manual says you must set the lens to MF, but the body has to be set to AF.

Last edited by wasser; 09-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.