Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #16

Lesmore, the camera might not be rated as waterproof, but both the camera and the lens used in this case were weathersealed. They really should withstand everything short of extended immersion. DroolingCrow was not unreasonable in continuing to take pictures, the failure was either due to a faulty lens or Pentax essentially lying to their customers.

I never really understood the status of weathersealing as far as warranty goes. If my camera gets splashed with water and it stops working, will Pentax repair it? How would Pentax know if the camera was just used in the rain or dropped into a lake for a couple of hours?
Pentax has always touted their weathersealing as a major strong selling point - they seem really confident about it. Have any forum members had their camera/lenese serviced for water damage?

Last edited by PolishMike; 09-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.
09-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
Lesmore, the camera might not be rated as waterproof, but both the camera and the lens used in this case were weathersealed. They really should withstand everything short of extended immersion. DroolingCrow was not unreasonable in continuing to take pictures, the failure was either due to a faulty lens or Pentax essentially lying to their customers.Mike, one of my points is that the camera, IMO, is not designed to withstand certain amounts of water under some pressure. If you look at the OP's pictures...realizing that he was using a rather short lens...16-50mm he , in my view looks quite close to the action with solid sprays of water happening.
But then it becomes a matter of interpretation, as to what constitutes acceptable exposure to moisture, what doesn't. Who knows, I suppose. There will always be a range...and I suppose any manufacturer that touts that their product will withstand certain levels of exposure to elements, as Pentax has done must be prepared to deal with the inevitable problems that will occur.
It's always a balance between marketing, engineering, legal and warranty departments in a firm. Not an easy question.

I don't know how much water or moisture my K10D will withstand, but given that I've only got a couple of months of warranty left, on the unit, I'm not prepared to push the envelope.

I never really understood the status of weathersealing as far as warranty goes. If my camera gets splashed with water and it stops working, will Pentax repair it? How would Pentax know if the camera was just used in the rain or dropped into a lake for a couple of hours?
Pentax has always touted their weathersealing as a major strong selling point - they seem really confident about it. Have any forum members had their camera/lenese serviced for water damage?
I think that's a tough one, I wouldn't want to make that call..as you say, hard to determine how the water got in, etc.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-09-2009 at 02:04 PM.
09-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #18

So, this is a 'weatherproof love-in' but with an alarming story to start. Well, no shockers here, I've still got the K10D pictured (actually it was often under worse snow that was also melting at the time, it's just that this was the only point in the night I felt safe to take out my K100D Super/FA50/1.4 to document the event).

The K10D Still works fine, back in Feb (below pic) it got soaked by just-about-melting snow for about seven hours solid along with my 50-135 (also still working perfectly). The K10D has also been through a lot of wind and weather since and has only scratches and a couple of small chips to show for it. It's still fine.

Here's the other photos I took that night (with the K10D this time...not of it!) The snow doesn't always show up because a lot of the exposures were several seconds long.

--

As for the anecdotal DA Ltd 'weathersealing' stories. I can attest to a fully working DA21 that has been drenched on several hikes and walks (I try to protect it but sometimes the rain beats me.)

--

Don't be afraid. You have weather sealing, use it. Have fun with it, but just don't get frostbite!
09-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I gues your K10D got vaccinated for flu shots. don't want your stuff to get the colds, do you?

09-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather Sealing Paranoia

As much as I love the K20D and the K-7 for their weather sealed features, I really have to question how much of it is the camera and how much is paranoia.

I've shot hiked close to an hour with the K20D exposed through pounding rain in Patagonia while I had my ist DS which isn't touted as being weatherproofed slung over my shoulder with a different lens to switch between the two. Both worked flawlessly - the only noticeable difference was the top LCD of the DS started showing signs of water ingress.

Wiped down the cameras as soon as I got in, took off lenses to air dry and voila, within hours the water in the DS had evaporated and everything still works flawlessly to this date. I remember people just using clear plastic bags back in the film days when shooting in adverse conditions so as much as I like the idea, i'm wondering how much of a selling point it remains... I do love the idea of a fully featured camera for the size of a K-7, especially for hiking, but the micro four-thirds format is really starting to become a compelling argument in this area and to pair up with a more capable AF, full featured body for times when I don't have to carry all my gear over long distances.

I'm optimistically hoping that Pentax will come up with something special in the next while - the AF has certainly seen improvement on the K-7! In the meantime, I'm holding out to see other new products Pentax has in store... before I start seriously considering all my options.
09-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #21

Never had any problems

I concur with all those who have never had problems with their dslrs, regardless of being in the bitterest, and wettest, of elements.

I am an editor of a small newspaper, and during a storm I went out with my K10 and the kit 18-55 lens, while our sports editor went out with the company's Nikon D300. Despite my camera being drenched , I never noticed any lag, or lack of response from my camera, but the sports editor did.

Also, they have this 'catch a pig' contest at the fair, and my camera has been doused in mud, but never had any issues......Even around the lensmount. I take a wet washcloth to the camera, and it cleans right up.....

For the one person who said that had noticed water in the front lens element, I wonder if the camera was taken through drastic temperatures, which may have caused condensation issues. This may explain lag, as all digital cameras have issues in extreme cold (exc. the new K-7, built for low temps).
Attached Images

09-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #22
Forum Member

My K20D with 16-50mm DA* got soaked on a rainy climb up Vesuvius but continued to work flawlessly.
Nick
09-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Some good news on the ruggedness front!

I dropped my K20D onto a pebbled beach from the height of around 6' - not even a scuff, worked perfectly.

Just to make you all aware, you-know-who has cited this thread (or one single post) as evidence and used it as unfounded ammo in his crusade against Pentax; this time on the weather sealing. Pathetic.

09-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #24

Never any issues with my K10D

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/61402-how-weatherproof-k-7-a-2.html

I stated my opinion of the K10D and how well it holds up in this thread. I still stand by it. Driving rain and water fights have not stopped it.

CharlieO
09-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

gx10, k20d: both had withstood rain up to the point i couldnt anymore, and gave in. i think the problem in this case was either a faulty da* (damaged sealing for some reason), or direct water jet hitting the camera (or a little of both): these cameras are supposed to withstand any rain the photographer is capable of withstanding, for any length of time the photographer is capable of, if fitted with a sealed lens. if a bit reasonable (not exposing the mount more than necessary, basically), they actually do that even with the non-wr lenses (i don't have any wr lenses yet).

on one occasion i was shooting in the pooring rain with my gx10, alongside a nikon d50. they both took it admirably, up to a certain point, when the d50 simply gave up. the final point of the shoot was when i gave up, because i was completely drenched and couldn't stand it anymore. i was shooting the da 50-200, and the only signs of trouble was some funny stuff on the top lcd (probably water shorting some of the pins on the mount), but it worked fine throughout.

snow: i have shot a nikon d50 (and also the others mentioned). it was snowing so heavily that i simply gave up removingthe snow from the camera at some point, because it was useless. the camera worked fine, i dried it at home ofcurse. it has served for years, and is still used by a friend of a friend. the d50 has been through nikon service but for issues which don't seem water related (flash, which was a problem from day 1, and af faults, which had developed a long time after it's last serious "adventure"). snow is not such a big problem, but it can be (especially if it's not cold enough ).

low temperatures: the d50 has not been through serious low temps with me, so i won't give a verdict. however, a k100d, k20d and gx10 at least have been. never any problems. again, i usually am the one which gives up because of the weather. i also had no battery problems (and i include the k100d, with nimh aa's). as a matter of fact, a very good friend was swaping his liions batteryes on his canon 20d (3 of them) while i kept shooting on my one pair of nimh's, i was amazed (i was certain i was going to have trouble). it might be that the older 20d is just more power inefficient, or that the magnesium alloy body doesn't help as much with thermal insulation (and you can feel it is much colder to the touch, btw), i don't know. i am actually curious to hear how the k7 does on low temps, being also a magnesium alloy body.

i guess the moral to the story is: weather sealing does matter, but most digital cameras are amazingly weather resistant in reality anyway, as long as you are reasonable, use common sense and so on. with weather sealing (full), you can afford to be very unreasonable , with a k20d and a non-ws lens, you can afford to be pretty unreasonable (enough that a good, non-pentaxian friend actually got mad at me when seeing my dripping wet k20d with the zenitar mounted, and started lecturing me -- and carefully whiping it for me. when i tried to explain that it is weathersealed, and i had been rather careful with the lens, he got angrier, as if i was delusional and reading too much marketing bullshit , i kind of convinced him i am not mad i think, after 1/2h or so, but not completely ). however, what these cameras are not is waterproof, so submersion will kill them, any water pressure on the seals will actually, so even a jet of water, if unlucky, can do damage. the original poster knows better what happened and if this applies to him, if it doesn't, i agree it's probably the lens, unfortunate, but "shit happens".

now about our beloved ricehigh: i am probably known to kind of "defend him" (sort of the devils advocate here, one might say). i read his post about this, linking to this thread, and i am sorry to say it is childish and stupid, i did not expect such ridiculous statements from him. some of you might point out that i should "know better", but still, to me it's a disapointment. i actually had the impression the guy is rather smart and unbiased, and technical, behind all the "pentax bashing" and such. oh well.
09-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Some good news on the ruggedness front!

I dropped my K20D onto a pebbled beach from the height of around 6' - not even a scuff, worked perfectly.

Just to make you all aware, you-know-who has cited this thread (or one single post) as evidence and used it as unfounded ammo in his crusade against Pentax; this time on the weather sealing. Pathetic.

WOW... what lens was on it? Had to be a prime. Yours is the worst impact I have ever read of where the camera lived to take another pic
07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
Forum Member

Mine leaks

I recently bought a mint k10d and put a new 18-55 WR lens on it for exactly the wet-weather-shooting purpose. (I'm still babying my k52s)
I just had it out in some moderate rain for about 2 to 3 minutes. I'd already missed the impressively heavy stuff.
I got wet, so did the camera.
The camera shot OK for the few frames I took but Its got a leak somewhere because there are a some big water droplets on the underside of the top LCD display that are NOT condensation. I took it back inside, dried exterior surfaces then removed the lens and battery and opened up every hatch on it to dry out.

I had hoped, and expected, that it would not have suffered such a leak. I'm not sure where the water would have entered, perhaps around the popup flash hinge?..
Hopefully no damage was done but I'm a little disappointed that it showed water getting inside so quickly.

Attached are one of the few quick snaps I took with it in the rain and a shot of it a few minutes after I dried it off where you can see the water inside the display.

Last edited by aglet; 07-06-2014 at 01:19 AM.
07-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was the only one standing out in the rain. Me and my K200D with a DAL 55-300mm mounted on the front. No ill effects and the camera or lens. Both still work fine. I however was soaked through!

07-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

You probably pulled water into the camera when zooming. No matter how good the weather sealing is the pumping action of the lens will have to pull in air from the outside to fill the extra volume. If that air is brought in from some part of the camera or lens that is wet then it will pull that water in with it.

The only way to avoid this is either not to operate the zoom in very wet conditions (best to engage the zoom lock if it has one) or to have a lens with internal zoom, which the DA* 16-50 is not.

(Edit: I wrote this in response to the OP, not realising that this thread was started four years ago)

Last edited by lister6520; 07-20-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
07-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't think part of the QC process includes drowning the camera and there are enough seals that one can get misaligned.

FWIW, I've been out in heavy snow w/ a K10D and Sigma 17-70 (no weathersealing) w/o issues. And a K20D and 60-250 in heavy humid rain w/o problems.