Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
Well, these stories aren't mine, but I am sharing them, as CRPhoto hasn't posted in here yet. Full submersion, on more than one occasion apparently:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/152568-weather-sealing-4.html#post1599987

and

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography-50.html#post1961942

07-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here I am, I just saw this thread. Adding to what NotSteve posted, I also have this video of my K-5 and 18-55WR to further scare non-Pentaxians:

07-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Here I am, I just saw this thread. Adding to what NotSteve posted, I also have this video of my K-5 and 18-55WR to further scare non-Pentaxians:

Pentax K-5 test..a day at the beach. Sand and Water resistant! Pool dip! - YouTube
Thanks for the video CRPhoto. I have to admit that I had my doubts that you had actually submerged your camera when you posted those photos last year, but all doubt has now been eliminated.

I think this actually could scare a few Pentaxians as well. The dramatic tension of watching someone dunk their camera AND not use any kind of strap in case it slipped out of their hand was fairly unnerving.

Feel free to make things worse by telling us that you also do this in salt water...
07-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #34

I;m sure a lot of people didn't believe me at first. It's normal i think. No one in it's right mind would do such a thing! lol.
Well, now that you mention the salt water, I'm gonna start thinking about doing it. The problem is that I have sold that particular K-5 and I only have one K-5 IIs and one K-5 Silver. Also my K20D is gone (sold). I'm thinking of getting another K-5 IIs, and once I get the second one I might continue my tests.

I do have another story about WR. I often shoot motocross with a Press pass. After a race I went to the Press area (tent) and since the camera is all covered in dust then of course, I take water from the big cooler were the drinks are, and start pouring it all over the camera and lens to clean it. Needless to say, it shocks all the Canikon users. I love it!.

07-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Living in a tropical country with an average of about 4 storms a month in the rainy season I can only say I'm lucky there's Pentax here.

So far haven't tried putting my K-5 IIs and DA* under a strong jet of water (and will never do it intentionally) but it's so far been tested in 6 storms this year for an average of 30 minutes each.. and so far the biggest problem that happened yet was the VF and lens fogging up after taking my gear out from an air-conditioned room to a humid morning at the beach.

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
I almost fainted seeing that full-body dunk. Sure, a split second... but... terrifying! I don't think even a Canon 7D user would do that! and to do everything without the camera strap!! Really scary and cool

Last edited by Alizarine; 07-24-2013 at 01:13 AM.
07-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

while in the tropics there was a very heavy rain fall. My wife was using my k10 with a sigma 17-70. well the short story is the K10 body died and the non water resistant lens lived
oh well, I eventually got a k5iis out of it, but missed a lot of great shooting opportunities in puerto rico

thanks

randy
01-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I have read of many DA* leaking and the tell tale sign is the water in the elemen
Brought my K5 into a rain yesterday and the K5 is acting up like the original poster's, so i put it in a box with silica gel, hopefully the problem will go away (button glitch etc). And water DID leak a bit into the mount when I use the DA* 16-50, but not a hell lot of it (1-2 mL?)

01-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Well here's a little story from the other day. Spill't sweet tea on my k-30 in my bag by accident. The thought of the weather sealing gave me a great deal of relief. Cleaned up ok, no issues The bag however, sadly just acted like a coffee filter.
01-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #39
Forum Member

I'm beginning to think this pentax WR is more bragging than serious credentials. I've had less water infiltration on cheap Canon Rebels than my K10.
I'll put more gear to the test this coming summer when I feel like getting wet and have a suitably showered subject. Pricier gear I'll just keep dry.
01-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote
I'm beginning to think this pentax WR is more bragging than serious credentials. I've had less water infiltration on cheap Canon Rebels than my K10.
I'll put more gear to the test this coming summer when I feel like getting wet and have a suitably showered subject. Pricier gear I'll just keep dry.
I would never "Purposely" test the weather resistance of any camera. i see people making videos putting their camera under the sink faucet and in the shower or under the hose. it seems silly to me to risk damaging ones equipment all for the sake of making a youtube video.
02-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I've showered with my K-5 IIs and DA*50-135 at a beachside resort. Yeah I did look like I'm bragging, but it was also the quickest way to clean all the sand and saltwater on the camera. Needless to say I patted it dry with a spare cloth afterwards and put it under a shade with a fan nearby to dry. WR buys you time to keep your gear going, but it definitely doesn't make the cam "immortal"
02-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if the rubber seals somewhere on the K10s are either degrading or just plain dirty. Whenever you open one of your hatches, at least inspect it. On the battery compartment I try to clean it with a wet cotton swab a few times a year at least (if not right when swapping batteries). Dirt, oil, and grime are the worst enemies of rubber seals. I suspect this could be a major issue with the lens mount, which does seem to get more grimy than the other seals.
03-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #43

Well, if we're speaking of credentials, we can't really go on anyone's anecdotal experience, can we? Not when there's dozens of other posts where Pentax weather sealing has successfully been put to the test. Seals sometimes fail, even on newer cameras, and one presumes this becomes more likely as the camera ages. How old is your K10?

I've had my K-5 for three years now. Once it got soaked in a torrential downpour while I continued to shoot. Dried it off, aired it out, it was fine. The other day, the camera was half-submerged while I shot along the lakeshore. Dried it off, aired it out and it was fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by aglet Quote