Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I stupidly broke the red plastic lens on my newly acquired 360FGZ (long story, don't ask). A quick chat online and a followup call to Pentax USA part department meant that a replacement piece was located and dispatched to me within the same day.

Can't beat that for service!

QuoteOriginally posted by dorianb Quote
I will be happy to reply to any PMs anyone wants to send me, if they have already tried to get help through phone or chat support and were unable to get an answer.

09-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #77

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I was just joking and I didn't switch, just added a canon body for use with a 400mm lens and a 300mm f2.8 I'm saving for. (and a 500mm f4 if I win the lotto)
That's good to hear, I am sorry to hear that lens situation did not get resolved. If something like that comes up in the future, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service.

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I stupidly broke the red plastic lens on my newly acquired 360FGZ (long story, don't ask). A quick chat online and a followup call to Pentax USA part department meant that a replacement piece was located and dispatched to me within the same day.

Can't beat that for service!
That should be the norm, but we certainly do appreciate the compliments.
09-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #78
Inactive Account

A public thanks to Dorian and the tech who knew the part number. My DS is now like new. And I'm a lot happier Pentax owner.
09-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
A public thanks to Dorian and the tech who knew the part number. My DS is now like new. And I'm a lot happier Pentax owner.
Sweet!!!!!

09-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what about canada EH?

I can't speak about the US, but in canada, especially if you live in the toronto area, you can take your camera directly to pentax canada, and have it serviced.

I got my K10D back in 10 calender days and that included a national holiday in the middle.

Not only was the shutter replaced (my cost since it was out of warranty), but the service included cleaning.

Camera came back looking like new.

I have not had to use pentax service much but they have been helpful any time I have needed them
10-17-2009, 03:07 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Hi Dorian,

it is fantastic to have you here as a forum member. Your attitude towards your customers is refreshing and most welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by dorianb Quote
John C. is about as far from arrogant as you can get. Seriously, he is one the nicest guys I have dealt with.
That's really a surprise to hear. He should work on how he comes across as a Pentax representative.

His "welcome", in which he greeted us with being the more uncivilised crowd compared to DPR and basically stating that his presence at DPR would make more sense as there were more people to win over, has already been noted.

Unfortunately, that wasn't just a bad start. Time after time he chose to answer some questions and some not without ever explaining why he silently ignored some. When he gave a wrong answer, he never put it right or apologised for it.

When someone asked the wrong question, uh oh: See here

On both occasions forum members were simply trying to suggest improvements. They weren't thanked for their input but criticised for not hailing the wonderful status quo.

If he doesn't have the time or patience to properly respond to customers on this forum (there is no way he can hide behind a "I'm doing this on my private time as a private guy" attitude) he should not appear on the forum at all or, better, leave the job to someone else who is more enthusiastic about it.

I'd love to think that he really is a nice guy but, unfortunately, he didn't come across as one at all.
10-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Methinks you dredged up an old thread mate.

10-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Hi Dorian,

it is fantastic to have you here as a forum member. Your attitude towards your customers is refreshing and most welcome.
Hey Class A,

Thanks for the praise.
I am sorry you were offended by some of John's posts.
If there is anything you need, feel free to PM me.
01-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #84
Veteran Member

OK I'm dragging up this old thread to post the outcome of my issue with the lens that just does't give satisfactory images mentioned earlier in the thread.
First let me say that DorianB bent over backwards in her efforts to help! Dorian thank you again!
Unfortunatly the shop after extensive testing has determined that the lens performs within factory spec and nothing can be done to rectify the problem. I suggested trading out for another lens but Dorians boss said no. I'll be getting my lens and the body I sent to test it with back as is.
I've given a great deal of thought to what to do if this was the outcome. The lens is junk and I won't use it . I can't in good conscience sell it to anybody. So I'm going to put it on an old SF10 body that I have laying around and donate it to the photography dept at a local college to be used as a loaner.A buddy of mine is an instructor there.
The students will make their own decissions about the quality of this Pentax lens.
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that with as much as I have invested in Pentax product and as much positive local exposure (in an area heavily dominated by the other guys ) as I've given Pentax , I should have gotten some satisfaction.

Last edited by seacapt; 01-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
The lens is junk and I won't use it . I can't in good conscience sell it to anybody.
Could you not sell it with a good conscience by stating that the lens back focuses but has been determined to be within specs? Can AF adjustment correct the problem or is the lens out of the adjustment range?

Last edited by Class A; 01-04-2010 at 08:05 PM.
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #86
Damn Brit

Why don't you wait until you get the lens back? Just because they say there is nothing wrong and they haven't done anything apart from testing doesn't mean there wasn't and they haven't necessarily.
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey seacapt, I got the "within specs" line too, along with the classic "lenses designed in the film era may not be optimal for a dslr" anyways, I had to move for long lenses. Needless to say, they won't get any of my money anytime soon.
01-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Could you not sell it with a good conscience by stating that the lens back focuses but has been determined to be within specs? Can AF adjustment correct the problem or is the lens out of the adjustment range?
Thanks for the suggestion but it's not just a focus issue , the lens is real soft, "sharp as a spork". I wouldn't feel right about selling it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Why don't you wait until you get the lens back? Just because they say there is nothing wrong and they haven't done anything apart from testing doesn't mean there wasn't and they haven't necessarily.
Maybe I will take it for a stroll around the block before passing it on.
01-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #89
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Maybe I will take it for a stroll around the block before passing it on.
Let us know.
02-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #90
Veteran Member

The outcome : Tested the lens under a few conditions since it came back and it did perform acceptibly. Pentax said they didn't fix anything so it must have gotten some of that "pixie dust " on it during one of it's trips to the shop.
This is still not the sharpest tack in my box but it's ok for snapshots and seems to focus acceptibly. Go Figure?