Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Customer Service

Is their customer service REALLY that bad? Does no one answer the form email inquiries? I had previously thought that the complaints were exaggerations but I guess not. I'm not asking for much. I just want to buy a replacement manual for my K-7. You'd think someone would at least have some sympathy and allow me to do so. I mean it's not like I was careless and lost it, or dropped it in a puddle, or spilled a beverage on it. No, it was stolen with my camera bag during a car break-in. And I'm not asking for a free one either. I want to buy one. Do they not want my money? They have quite a bit of it already, what with the, um, something-load I've spent on Pentax cameras and lenses in the past lots of years.

So I gave up after 3 weeks of waiting for a reply and made a phone call. Got a recording. Left a message. Leave your name and address and which manual you want the recording said. So I did. We'll see what happens. I just want to buy a manual. I really don't think I'm asking very much.

09-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try the live chat option?

Thank you
Russell
09-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't you just download a copy from Pentax's website?

Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
09-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Try the live chat option?

Thank you
Russell
I could if I could manage to remember that option when I am not at work. Like now I always seem to think of it after they've closed up for the day.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Can't you just download a copy from Pentax's website?

Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
I have it downloaded but the problem there is that 175ish letter size pages printed front and back don't fit very well into a camera bag. That and I'm a touch OCD about having all the "parts" to expensive toys.

09-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Buy this book instead: PENTAX DSLRs Probably more useful than the manual anyway. If you need something from the manual also, print that page from the web site.

Send a message to Ned Bunnell, the President of Pentax Imaging U.S.;he also has a blog that you can use to get to him.
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Can't you order one through a brick and mortar store? I'm sure my deasler would order one for me. Ask Helen Oster or Henry Posner (from Adorama and B&H) if they can order one for you.
09-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Can't you order one through a brick and mortar store? I'm sure my deasler would order one for me. Ask Helen Oster or Henry Posner (from Adorama and B&H) if they can order one for you.
Helen Oster said she'd look into it and I've never heard back.

But my point is this: Why is it so difficult to get Pentax to answer a simple question, reply to an email, something? I just want to replace an original part that came with my camera. Does it take that many resources to answer simple customer service questions?

(And really, should it have to be this involved to just replace a stupid manual?)

Last edited by mel; 09-09-2009 at 09:45 AM.
09-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This appears to be indicative of their current business model. Given that they don't have much market share and don't seem to be doing anything about increasing same, one would think that they would be attuned to keeping their current (and hopefully repeat) customer base happy. This type of customer service, coupled with a very thinly distributed product line, price increases and no advertising, has to make one wonder what their long term thinking is.

In my opinion, this is either bad management, or funds have been cutoff/cutback. or both. In any case, not a good sign.
09-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I've sent a dozen emails to various Pentax departments. Not one has even answered to tell me to buzz off.
I gave up ever getting an answer. I even pm'd JC and didn't get an answer.
I guess none of them know how to type.
09-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Helen Oster said she'd look into it and I've never heard back.

But my point is this: Why is it so difficult to get Pentax to answer a simple question, reply to an email, something? I just want to replace an original part that came with my camera. Does it take that many resources to answer simple customer service questions?

(And really, should it have to be this involved to just replace a stupid manual?)
I've written 3 times and still heard nothing.....I'm going to try again.

up-date: just posted a comment on Ned Bunnell's blog suggesting he should pop in here....
Thanks for the heads up on that, Peter

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
09-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I've written 3 times and still heard nothing.....I'm going to try again.

up-date: just posted a comment on Ned Bunnell's blog suggesting he should pop in here....
Thanks for the heads up on that, Peter

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
Thanks for trying Helen. And geeze, your experience makes me feel even worse about their service. I keep trying to rationalize that there's an excuse for it but for it to be this bad even for a major retailer of their products? Well that just smacks of apathy.

Dang I love my Pentax cameras and lenses. And I've been a Pentax shooter for 27 years. This kind of breaks my heart in a smallish way.
09-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks for trying Helen. And geeze, your experience makes me feel even worse about their service. I keep trying to rationalize that there's an excuse for it but for it to be this bad even for a major retailer of their products? Well that just smacks of apathy.
I also sent a sternly-worded complaint earlier today - but I imagine it will be 'filed' with all the other emails........

Helen
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I even pm'd JC and didn't get an answer.

Have you not noticed how arrogant he appears to be when he does bother to post anything in the forum? It's not like we're customers or anything, is it?
Look at the K-7 tour recently, his posting to that died after a couple of dates, we got the rest of the dates from Ned Bunnells blog.
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Normally I would never have said anything negative about Pentax or it's people. But I'm really fed up with the lousy attitude they have toward customers.
I've used Pentax for 30 years. One time I need help, they ignore me.
With the business attitude they have these days, my gear may become collectors items sooner than I thought.
09-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know what's even more amazing to me (if that's even possible) is that nary a one of them will come on here to either defend their practices or apologize for their shoddy behavior. Astounding. Could it actually be true that they are THAT oblivious?

I'm not trying to make trouble. I'm not trying to call foul and gripe about the the products. I just want to PURCHASE a replacement part of my camera kit that was stolen.