Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #1

Experience with focus correction on K-m

Hi,

I just want to share my experience with focus correction with Pentax K-m. I bought second hand DA 21 in a great shape from forum member with a BF issue (that was visible in real world shots) on my body . I was desperate, because all my other lens are either spot on or have slight FF (DA 40) that I can live with. I couldn't get single sharp picture (short distance - up to 10m, with AF) from my DA 21 with f/3.2 or even f/4.

I'd like to thank the all the guys that figured out how to get into debug menu on K-m (Debug mode). Without it, I'd probably have to sell the DA 21 (or send it to Pentax serivce).

Ok. Here comes the experience part. If I dial +120um, the focus is spot on. -40 with DA 40, -20 with FA 50 (I don't bother with these, because it's hard to see in real world pictures).

I found a small (like 3MB) old SD card, uploaded MODSET.464 file on it with [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] line.

Each time I attach DA 21, I just insert this card, select "DEBUG MENU EN", set +120um correction, select "DEBUG MENU DIS", insert my normal SD card.

When I attach different lens, I just do the same thing with -120, -40 (for DA 40), etc.

It's a little bit annoying, but thanks to that, I don't have to send my body and all my lenses to Pentax service (it would probably cost a lot, because I don't have a warranty on any of my lens) and focus is pretty much spot on.

Last edited by jerrymouse; 09-09-2009 at 02:19 PM.
09-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yeah, it is very helpful. I keep it on my same SD card I take pictures with - my menu only comes up if I have the sd card door open (or was it holding menu button?). So when I'm done, I turn off, turn on, select debug mode dis, and don't switch cards
09-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
yeah, it is very helpful. I keep it on my same SD card I take pictures with - my menu only comes up if I have the sd card door open (or was it holding menu button?). So when I'm done, I turn off, turn on, select debug mode dis, and don't switch cards
Yeah I wanted to...but I usally delete all my photos with format option :P
09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yeah it forces me to use delete-all images button, but I do worry about eventual fragmentation, I don't know how good it is with book-keeping.