Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #16

Original Poster
I will try out HSS today. Video mode is fun too. The E. Level is a cute little device. I could keep going on!

Thanks guys...for me this camera was worth the hype, if only for the better P-TTL flash. It's not that it's suddenly flawless, it's just that when it does something 'wrong', I understand more easily what it is and have more faith that it's actually my fault. That's very good.

I am a hapy bunny!

09-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
Forum Member

I sure hope this is true! My k7 should be arriving at my door any hour now - I'll try my AF540 then. On my k10, I stopped trying to use PTTL a long time ago, but I always thought it was the fault of the flash, not the body. The consistency was terrible.

I can't wait to try this out.
09-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

When I'm on a wedding, I find myself leaving my flashes in HSS mode because I'm going in and out all the time. Is this a problem at all?
09-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
When I'm on a wedding, I find myself leaving my flashes in HSS mode because I'm going in and out all the time. Is this a problem at all?
If it works like the other Pentax cameras at any speed less the 180 it will be normal P-TTL. Only if you set a speed above 180 will it use HSS.

DAZ

09-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
I could laugh with utter abandon
Me too. Great post.
09-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #21

TO JPTREEN:

What lenses do you plan on using primarily for your photo gigs with your new K7?
09-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
LOL! I was going to keep my k10 as back-up, but after comparing the two cameras, I knew the k10 was going to end up as a paper-weight...
Oh, I never thought of that!
09-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
LOL! I was going to keep my k10 as back-up, but after comparing the two cameras, I knew the k10 was going to end up as a paper-weight. It contributed to my 10-17 fisheye purchased though!

Now I just need to save up for another year to get a second k-7 for back-up.
I really like your photos on flickr. How did you get the copyright notation on the photos?

09-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by windflower Quote
I really like your photos on flickr. How did you get the copyright notation on the photos?
You can embed your copyright nick in the Exif with the K-7 on Custom Menu 3.
Just a little feature, but its really cool.
09-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how is K-7 P-TTL flash different?

Could someone explain in more detail how the flash is better in the K-7? Perhaps I just missed it, but I don't remember reading anything about this in any review, and this is something that means a LOT to me. I have never been very impressed with P-TTL. If it finally works WELL with the K-7, I could perhaps be persuaded to buy one instead of sticking with my K10D/K20D.

And I think the comments here about improvements in P-TTL were comparing the K-7 to the K10D. Is the K-7 better than the K20D here, too?

Will
09-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My simple expectation of a dSLR flash system is one where I can mount the flash on the hot-shoe, turn it on and shoot, either direct or bounce flash, and it would produce an accurately exposed photograph, within the flash range, under most common situations.

And I wouldn't want to fiddle much with flash compensation unless its clearly a difficult exposure e.g. fill flash in a backlit situation.
Now "accurately exposed" is a bit subjective, but I would just say it is one which fills the histogram from end-to-end without blown highlights.

I've taken some hundreds of shots with K-7 / AF540 on P-TTL , and it pretty much does the above, consistently.
09-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #27

I have to stop reading threads on the newest equipment!

I have several hobbies in my life that are like addictions - they're expensive!

I've only had the K20D for 5 months and reading this thread has me considering the K-7
09-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh No!

Just started seriously looking at the K7 wondering if I should consider getting one sooner rather than later then I come across and "rant" like this!

Wonder if my wife would notice a K7 next to my K10D and 1200 or so less dollars in our account... Probably so.

I'll just have to wait for the previously mentioned price drop to occur I suppose. On and thanks for the flash information ya'll. Very useful.
09-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #29

Interesting stuff, I never had any issues with my Metz 58 AF-1 on my K10 and K20, I haven't tried in on the K-7 yet.

Oh, and Singlespeed, I only had my K20 for 6 months before succumbing to the K-7's siren song, at least the residuals are quite high on Pentax slrs, I shouldn't lose any money in selling it on!
09-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
What lenses do you plan on using primarily for your photo gigs with your new K7?
How come? Today it was the 16-50, 50-135, 70/2.4, or 35 Macro, with the Sigma 10-20 coming up a bit.

Because it was the first time and it was a wedding (need to know your kit properly, I brought along old stuff in case I realised five mins in that I really didn't know the K-7 well enough yet...K10 was mostly redundant) I used it along side K10D and an assistant with a K100D Super.

Using these all together under pressure brings home to me just how much more responsive the K-7 is (even with SDM focusing, it's anecdotal, sure, but it feels quicker. Maybe it is just quicker to lock...)

As for flash exposure I'm still very impressed. When I've processed them I'll know for sure but K-7s are still clearly much better and much more reliable for me than my old cameras. As it was, the light was **perfect** for most of the day so I didn't need much anyway. I think the K-7 will start earning it's keep more as the days get more dingy.