Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 Live view?

as I am focusing on street photography , live view is a big thing I am missing with the K20D.

it would be great to be able to shoot from the hip (hens why Olympus so popular with street photographers)

is the Live view on K-7 much better then the K20d?

09-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's leaps and bounds better than the K20D live view. Alas, in terms of helping you shoot at hip level... I don't think there's too much improvement there. You want a swivel screen for that.
09-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, a number of Olympus models have a flip LCD screen, which allows use from various adjustable angles...which Pentax doesn't have.

The K-7's liveview is definitely an improvement on the K20D's, especially not having the focus delay caused by raising the mirror for Phase-Detect AF, but I wouldn't say its very useful for shooting from the hip.....

I tend to use LiveView more for manual focusing, especially tripod work....it beats any manual focus viewfinder screen any time.
09-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

How about a flip bac viewfinder

Flipbac 3-inch Angle Viewfinder and LCD protector delivered for $15 at Camera Deals

Last edited by ivoire; 11-03-2010 at 08:43 PM.
09-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would say it would only be useful if you are manually focusing or prefocusing. I find the autofocus in live view to be far too slow for most of the handheld stuff I do. For my landscape shots (my most frequent subject) I find the liveview an essential feature on the tripod.
09-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I would say it would only be useful if you are manually focusing or prefocusing. I find the autofocus in live view to be far too slow for most of the handheld stuff I do. For my landscape shots (my most frequent subject) I find the liveview an essential feature on the tripod.

I thought the same, until I chose the normal focus mode (whatever it's called), where the live view goes blank as it focuses. You can easily listen for the beep for AF confirmation and it is almost as fast as the regular AF, and it was a breeze to use. This along with composition adjustment for tilt/shift effect and real time histogram, it is a joy to use.

Last edited by pcarfan; 09-10-2009 at 09:21 AM.
09-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK thanks guys
I think I am still going to wait for the next K model

its hard thou every time I am at B&H seeing that cute K-7 smiling at me.

but I am still very happy with my K20D no good reason for an upgrade other then tax returns
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I thought the same, until I chose the normal focus mode (whatever it's called), where the live view goes blank as it focuses. You can easily listen for the beep for AF confirmation and it is almost as fast as the regular AF, and it was a breeze to use. This along with composition adjustment for tilt/shift effect and real time histogram, it is a joy to use.
I did not know this...I will try it as soon as I get home

04-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #9

Have used

I have played with the live view but I am not a great fan. I find it easier to use the microscope metheod when watching things, one eye through the viewfinder and one eye watching the action.

Spending my tax return on the K7 was agreat idea. the only trouble is I am still waiting for the tax office to send out the cheque three months later. The software upgrade done by the Australian tax office is not quite on schedule.

James
04-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What about doing th inverse, and holding it above your head to use live view, would there be a solution to that? (Like a flipback that is mounted on the top?)

Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but I am also in the market for a K7 and not having a swivel screen is deterring me...