Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #1

AF-540fgz Question.

Hi I just received my flash and I really like it, now I am new to flash photography,
when I have it on P-TTL I can use a shutter speed up to 1/180 sec, no matter what ISO in AV mode, actually my question is what would be the right way to use the flash lets say at a baptism or wedding,
BTW I have a K7

09-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Are you asking what settings to use on the camera or how to point the flash?

For camera settings, I usually set to 'X' mode, set my aperture around F/5-5.6, and iso400. In general, this will give you well-let photos. I don't try to shoot a photo with the subject more than 10ft away.
09-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your question is quite vague.
Being new to flash photography, I would suggest some background reading first.
Like:
Strobist: Lighting 101
Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Part I.
http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
Flash Photography Made Simple
etc. etc.

You'll find more detailed and easy to understand information there.
Then come back to us when you have any specific questions.
09-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow ! The subject could fill a book - which it does. I saw one titled "The Art of Digital Wedding Photography" the other day in the bookshop....

Worth buying a flash diffuser like Stofen Omnibounce.
Churches often have very high ceilings, which make it difficult or impossible for ceiling bounce flash. The diffuser helps to soften the lighting from the flash.
For other interior rooms with normal ceiling height , bounce flash works very well, and the AF540 has plenty of power for that.

If shooting in daylight outdoors, you may still want to use fill-flash to avoid deep shadows on the face, especially. Try out HSS, which allows you to set higher than 1/180s shutter speed - you will need it in bright daylight.

Watch the exposure carefully. Its very easy to blow-out the bride's wedding gown, even when the overall exposure is correct.

09-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

@Ash: The PlanetNeil link is probably the best link. I spent all night reading everything on his blog and learnt a lot about flash photography.

Thanks for posting it and I finally understand how to control exposure with ISO and shutter speed. It seems that my camera's Manual mode will start getting more use.