Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #1

Urgent question...going to Hong Kong

...and have to shoot an event the day after arrival.

Problem is, extra K-7 batteries haven't arrived yet.

Can anyone from Hong Kong or been to it recently, let me know where to pick up some D-LI90 (or knockoffs), and most importantly, have them in stock for immediate pickup?

I asked a friend to casually look around (he isn't into photography) and the only brand is "PowerSmart" that has a wait time of a week.

Thanks much!!!

09-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how many do you have and do you have the grip? if the answers are two and yes you should be fine. get some lithium AAs for the grip.
09-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go to Mong Kok in Kowloon, you will see several camera store there they all have Pentax stuff

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
...and have to shoot an event the day after arrival.

Problem is, extra K-7 batteries haven't arrived yet.

Can anyone from Hong Kong or been to it recently, let me know where to pick up some D-LI90 (or knockoffs), and most importantly, have them in stock for immediate pickup?

I asked a friend to casually look around (he isn't into photography) and the only brand is "PowerSmart" that has a wait time of a week.

Thanks much!!!
09-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
Unfortunately, the answer is One, and No.

And the worst thing is happening today - I left my wallet home, which means I cannot pick up anything today from camera shops near work.

Knew about the event last night, and flight is tomorrow.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
how many do you have and do you have the grip? if the answers are two and yes you should be fine. get some lithium AAs for the grip.

09-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well crap then. if you can pick up a grip in HK quickly where Vizjerei mentioned, that would be the best bet, as you can pop in some lithium (use lithium, not alkaline, last waaaay longer) and you'll be golden. My charger when bye-bye with my stolen camera bag in a car break in. I went to London later with two fully charged batteries (swapped out for dead ones with another forum member) and those lasted 3 days, then the lithiums AAs weren't even dented in a full day of heavy shooting.

Get the grip if you can.
09-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you can relax. There's nowhere in the world I'd rather be stranded with a need for photographic equipment than HK
09-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks...does anyone know a particular address, or contact? So I can get there the 2nd thing getting off the airport.
09-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have specifics--it's been a while since I've been there. I remember finding lenses for my Auto 110, though: probably visited 10 camera shops in 2 square blocks. You could find just about anything.

09-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Go to Mong Kok in Kowloon, you will see several camera store there they all have Pentax stuff
I will second the suggestion as I recalled seeing quite a number of camera shops in that area in Kowloon island of Hong Kong. Hong Kong is composed of Kowloon Island, Hong Kong peninsula island and New Territory. I search around in http://hk.search.yahoo.com and I found this thread in photo.net

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000GnZhttp://photo.net/bboa...?msg_id=000GnZ

The prices in Mong Kok area is probably better but I hate bargaining and hi-jacking price in tourist area such as those in Central area in Hong Kong island, you need to shop around and know about the pricing first, I quote the segment with suggestion on Mong Kok area in the above thread, and there are more shops mentioned in the rest of the thread for good reference.

QuoteOriginally posted by photo.net:
E.Ung -- , Oct 01, 1998; 07:18 a.m.

Hello Raymond, smart move for deciding to buy camera in H.K. To me,the shops mentioned above are good except the XXX power shop in Central. I personally had a very bad experience with the good gentleman shopkeeper there. There are two other "good" camera shops in Mongkok (just these two). Ther are: Wing Shing camera shop(57, Sai Yeung Choi Street Mong Kok) Mong Kok Camera Centre (Fa Yuen Street, Mong Kok), another known as Man Shing camera shop is now under decoration work. Sorry, I don`t know the exact address of Mong Kok camera centre. Don`t try to buy camera or even enter other camera shop in Sai Yeung Choi Street, they are pirate. I will also send a official Nikon AF lenses price list to you, beware that the retail price should be 20- 30% less than that offical prices. Just for your reference.

Last edited by hinman; 09-10-2009 at 03:07 PM.
09-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Found another thread in Clupsnap through Yahoo!

original thread is closed, please see this thread in clubsnap with a lot of shop's address and phonenumber

Is there anything worth buying in HongKong? - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

Hope this helps you,
Hin
09-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all! I'll try my best.
09-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Another example of why the ist and K100-200 models are best for a trip ... they take common AA size batteries in a pinch. No rushing around trying to charge depleted batteries on strange foreign voltages, or finding uncommon unique batteries to purchase.
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #13

I am living in HK. I can help to check it in Mongkok this weekend.
09-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks all for your suggestions and offers to help!!

I got off the plane and got one for HKD $150 (NOT from PowerSmart, they're HKD $250) inside Mongkok Computer Centre. All other shops, Wing Sing et al, don't stock it.

On the other hand, I'm completely floored by how well the original battery held up. 800+ RAW shots for the wedding and there were still 40 or so left. (some reviews, some deletions, used LV at times but no on-board flash - used the 540).

In other words, the battery I bought in a hurry was not even needed for the event!!! I only put it on yesterday in the middle of a countryside shooting in Hong Kong.

The knock-off works well so far. Physically it seems not as strong as Pentax's (the body shell seems a little thin - there's some flex when I press on the battery) but otherwise it's pretty well-built.
09-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
Thanks all for your suggestions and offers to help!!

I got off the plane and got one for HKD $150 (NOT from PowerSmart, they're HKD $250) inside Mongkok Computer Centre. All other shops, Wing Sing et al, don't stock it.

On the other hand, I'm completely floored by how well the original battery held up. 800+ RAW shots for the wedding and there were still 40 or so left. (some reviews, some deletions, used LV at times but no on-board flash - used the 540).

In other words, the battery I bought in a hurry was not even needed for the event!!! I only put it on yesterday in the middle of a countryside shooting in Hong Kong.

The knock-off works well so far. Physically it seems not as strong as Pentax's (the body shell seems a little thin - there's some flex when I press on the battery) but otherwise it's pretty well-built.
Glad everything works out. Which shop you ended up going to? Any new recommendation? Mong Kok or Central area?

And any rare chance that you run into RiceHigh and say Hi to him when he is barking with Pentax issues on batteries and the like. I wish we all have a head shot of RH posted in every store in Hong Kong that sells Pentax gear.

Thanks,
Hin