Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K2000 focus screen copper shim

Did your K2000 come with a copper shim?

If so, how thick and which way is it oriented?

Mine is about half a credit card and I don't remember which way it was oriented (it is a simplistic shim with only 3 sides, missing the 4th side to make it a complete rectangle).

I'm looking at getting a manual focus screen and am wondering if the shim is in all of them or if it was for focus correction on mine specifically.

09-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #2

I have the K2000 and don't know that you are talking about. Never heard of such a thing.
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The shim was standard on my K100D and K200D so I assume your shim is a standard item for all KM/K2000 units. I don't remember the orientation. Not sure it matters as long as it's in the correct order however I think the bevel goes against the focus screen
09-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The shim looks like a very wide "U" It is installed as an inverse "U". The missing side goes on the bottom where the hinge is.

Imade my own shims from plastic film that in the old days was used for overhead projections. That was too thin. So I cut narrow strips of sticky lables and stuck one layer of it to the plastic film. Now I have perfect manual focus.

Hope this helps.

09-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
The shim looks like a very wide "U" It is installed as an inverse "U". The missing side goes on the bottom where the hinge is.

Imade my own shims from plastic film that in the old days was used for overhead projections. That was too thin. So I cut narrow strips of sticky lables and stuck one layer of it to the plastic film. Now I have perfect manual focus.

Hope this helps.
bottom is the back of the camera so the long single side should be closer to the lens mount
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote

Hope this helps.
I am a bit confused with the terminology: it is installed as a inverse U when the focus screen bracket is down or when it is up and you are looking with it closed? The hinge is the part that pivots closer to the LCD, and not the lock mechanism that is closer to the mount?, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
bottom is the back of the camera so the long single side should be closer to the lens mount
I believe I interpreted this backwards earlier, maybe that was the reason I was front focusing like crazy on my 1.7 lens..?