Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

I Need Some Help Please

Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a new DSLR. I am coming from a Nikon D50 and am trying to weigh my options. I have been leaning toward an Olympus E-3, but saw the new K-7 and I cannot get it out of my head. I am an amateur, but I really love photography and am wanting to get back in to it more regularly. The problem is I haven't purchased a camera since 2005 and I want to make sure I am spending my money wisely. My current kit consists of the D50, a Nikon DX 18-55mm, and a Sigma 70-300mm.

Here is what I am looking at for my new kit:

Pentax K-7
DA* 300mm
DA* 16-50mm
DA* 50-135mm
DA 10-17mm Fisheye
D FA 100mm macro

I am also toying with the macro flash and grip. I shoot the local airshow every year so that is why I am going for reach with the 300mm. I will also be shooting sports for the high school I teach at so I figured the 50-135 would be great for that.

My main concern is the longevity of Pentax. I know they have been around for a long time, but I keep reading different threads saying that Pentax is on the edge of going under. Of course, that is what they say about Apple all the time as well. Should I be worried? I am glad they aren't huge like Canon, Nikon, and Sony, but I wonder if hope is lost.

I hear great things about this camera, but unfortunately there is not a local dealer that carries Pentax so I cannot hold it. I know from the specs that it is almost dead on with my D50, so I like that. My D50 has worked well, but it is time to pass that on to my wife. I never had any problems personally with the image quality from the D50, but I just want to make sure this camera and lenses will surpass it. I truly think it will blow my current setup out of the water.

If you would like to get a feel for what I am shooting, aside from sports, you can find me at DeviantArt. Thanks for all the help you can give me. I am about ready to jump, but I just need that little push.

09-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

I don't think you can go wrong with the K7. I am definitley not up on the lenses but look at the lens reviews and draw your conclusion. I still shoot my K10D and as much as I thought of getting the K7 I just can't swing the money now. But if I could I sure would. pull the trigger.
09-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here.

You're asking a bunch of happy Pentaxians whether Pentax has any future...
There has been lots of discussion about Pentax both here and elsewhere, and frankly it bores me.
I am well pleased with the gear and don't see the K-mount disappearing in an oblivion.

In any case, the Pentax kit you'd be selecting is a very capable set of equipment that should capture just about anything - (only there's nothing between 135 and 300mm, but I don't see that a a major problem).

Lucky for you, you have someone to pass on your well-loved D50... and justify the investment in another system. I say go for it, but again, I'm biased...
09-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome here.

You're asking a bunch of happy Pentaxians whether Pentax has any future...
There has been lots of discussion about Pentax both here and elsewhere, and frankly it bores me.
I am well pleased with the gear and don't see the K-mount disappearing in an oblivion.

Lucky for you, you have someone to pass on your well-loved D50... and justify the investment in another system. I say go for it, but again, I'm biased...
That is precisely why I am asking here. I can tell Pentaxians are a happy and loyal group. Like most devoted fans, I also know if something is amiss, you will be the first to point out the truth. I totally understand about getting bored with the state of the company discussions. I personally think they have an excellent camera line-up with excellent lenses, and an excellent future. I just want to make sure I do my due diligence.

09-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I think that's a fantastic lineup you've outlined there - it's very close to describing my camera bag ... You'll love the grip if you get it (actually I only have a grip for my K20d so far, but I want one for my K-7).
09-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This would be an outstanding kit for any kind of photography.

However be warned, once you get a hold on one of our "Limited" primes there is a good chance you`ll be fatally attracted to buy it and several more

You have been warned!
09-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #7

I would go for the 200 with a TC.
09-11-2009, 06:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
I would go for the 200 with a TC.
I had thought about that. I read the great reviews of the 200, but wasn't sure how well it would work with the TC. Does anyone have any pics or experience with this setup?

09-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a fair question I'd be keen to hear the answer to also.
The Tamron 1.4x TC for Pentax has SDM capabilities but certain HSM lenses don't fare very well with the combination for AF function, particularly for telephoto lens ranges...
09-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW I think the the Tamron TC works the best in MF, as when there is not enough light or its confused(The Lens)it hunts,so MF gets a work out

cheers
09-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Though the Tamron TC is excellent in AF with the Tamron 70-200/2.8 lens (screw-drive AF).
Performs spectacularly well even at the 200mm end in low light conditions like concerts.
SDM's another story, though.
09-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndyUno1 Quote
That is precisely why I am asking here. I can tell Pentaxians are a happy and loyal group. Like most devoted fans, I also know if something is amiss, you will be the first to point out the truth. I totally understand about getting bored with the state of the company discussions. I personally think they have an excellent camera line-up with excellent lenses, and an excellent future. I just want to make sure I do my due diligence.
Wise thing to do.
One can only speculate what's in store for Pentax...
A discussion on this topic is going on at the moment on the forum:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/73000-pentax-looking-glorious-future.html
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #13

Sweet setup there. I prefer regular 10-20mm lenses instead of fish eye but other than that I like it! :-)
09-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Fantastic set-up. If this is my setup, I would be somewhat worried about not having a discreet small package. The 16-50 is a large lens. I would want to have a small normal prime with it. I would recommend the DA21/3.2, DA35/2.8, DA40/2.8, FA43/1.9 for such use. But, this is just a personal preference. Also, fisheye vs rectilinear wide angle also is a personal preference. All you lenses are best of the best, so a good collection. 3 of then even has the silent SDM and weather seal....what a package. Enjoy it!
09-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Diffinately invest in the Battery Grip if these are the lenses you are getting. I have the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 with my K7. The grip helps balance out the weight of the lenses since the K7 is so light compared to the quality glass you are looking at.