Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

The little K100D that could.

A little background -- I spent 2 years running around Seattle as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I'm quite fond of the place, and I'd love to move back some day. (Wikipedia Links)

(PS -- The picture of the name tags in the first article is MY picture. Nobody ever told me they were using it for a wikipedia article...imagine my surprise when I discovered one day I'd been published! I forget from time to time, and then I'm reminded when I go to that article to link it to somebody)

Anyway, onto the story. So last weekend my friend and roommate had a wedding to attend in Washington. I agreed to go up with him so I could visit people I knew from my mission. We drove up together, and then I rented a car and went my way while he went his.

I was hoping to take some video while I was up there, so I took my Panasonic GH1 -- and sent my friend with my K100D. I have a Pentax adaptor for my GH1 (Got to love that Pentax glass!) So I greedily kept my lenses and sent him with just the kit lens.

Sunday night when we reunited, he had quite the story to tell me. I'm telling you the details I know, and I'll probably never know the rest of the story -- but I guess the wedding Photographer's equipment was having some issues. The shutter was bonkers in the main camera (No clue what kind of camera it was -- sorry), and the way she had the backup camera setup it wouldn't work either. (I have no clue if she was shooting Canon and Nikon and her lenses wouldn't work on each other or what, I really have no clue...that's just what I was told). I guess before long she had abducted my K100D, and it became the wedding camera.

I do feel a little sorry for the photographer. My camera was set to ISO3200 and JPEG when I got it back -- but I guess she decided that a little noise was preferable to using the onboard flash, and that (Having only CF cards for her equipment) she'd rather take MORE pictures than RAW pictures. Good luck in post, my friend...good luck in post.

What a story though eh? I haven't really seen any of the photos yet...nor do I know if I will get to. I sent the camera out with a 4 GB card and it came back with a 2 GB card. There were a handful of wedding photos on the camera, but nothing too impressive...I hope what she got on the 4GB card is higher quality, and I really hope I get to see some of the end result.

Our cameras may have their limitations from time to time...but when push comes to shove it's good to know Pentax was there to get the job done!

09-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well if you can get in touch with her, even just to ask for your 4GB card back, you may be able to see her work...

I've no doubt the K100D not only could, but DID, the job quite adequately.
I did a job for a roaming photo studio to help capture graduation photos a week ago and had to configure my cam to suit their requirements: they wanted 6Mp JPEG images at medium quality settings when I could have provided them with 14Mp RAW images. Turns out they don't mind the lower resolution and quality - it's easier for them to work with smaller files and just get the pro printers to interpolate images to blow them up printed if needed...

Anyway, cool story and I'm sure she (the wedding photog) will remember that day, hopefully with fond memories for the little Pentax that did....
09-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well if you can get in touch with her, even just to ask for your 4GB card back, you may be able to see her work...
She's supposed to be mailing it back to me...so we'll see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Anyway, cool story and I'm sure she (the wedding photog) will remember that day, hopefully with fond memories for the little Pentax that did....
My thoughts exactly! But on the other hand, since she walked right into the 2 weaker points of the camera (In my subjective opinion, of course) -- noise at high ISO and JPEG processing -- I hope it doesn't leave a bitter taste in her mouth!
09-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I hope that it's not on 3200 all the time and only in the church... K100D's 3200 is horrid in extreme low light. But either way I hope that the pictures all work out fine

09-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Saaby Quote
A little background -- I spent 2 Our cameras may have their limitations from time to time...but when push comes to shove it's good to know Pentax was there to get the job done!
Would be very interesting to see the results. A subject not often talked about is the ergonomics and handling of the K100s. I find this little thing

feels like a natural extension of my (large) hand. The curved and slightly sharp-edged right hand grip is extremely comfortable to hold both when taking the picture and when just holding/carrying the cam. A masterpiece of ergonomics...
The left hand side soft plastic cusion is a very nice addition. I've tried handling a K20 and a K-7 and none felt as comfortable to me (K-20 feeling much better than K-7 for me though).
09-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
emr

A nice little story. I can imagine how desperate the photographer must have felt (with no disregard for your camera) - can't suddenly use her own cameras and doesn't have a flash either. 3200 ISO and JPG won't probably be very nice, but indefinenitely better than no pictures at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Saaby Quote
I have a Pentax adaptor for my GH1 (Got to love that Pentax glass!) So I greedily kept my lenses and sent him with just the kit lens.
May ask ask what adapter it is and what is your experience with it? Is it the Novoflex? What Pentax lenses do you favor with the Lumix?
09-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaddigad Quote
Would be very interesting to see the results. A subject not often talked about is the ergonomics and handling of the K100s. I find this little thing

feels like a natural extension of my (large) hand. The curved and slightly sharp-edged right hand grip is extremely comfortable to hold both when taking the picture and when just holding/carrying the cam. A masterpiece of ergonomics...
The left hand side soft plastic cusion is a very nice addition. I've tried handling a K20 and a K-7 and none felt as comfortable to me (K-20 feeling much better than K-7 for me though).
Oh come on now you're making me want another one! I just bought a K10D though!

09-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaddigad Quote
I feel THE EXACT SAME WAY! I aint trying to yell, but my K100 spends a lot more time in my hands than my K10 ever did. I love both cameras, but my K100 is a lighweight, ergonomic, small MONSTER!
09-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Now that I have a K10 as well I can relate... I think of K10 as the "big gun", like I think of Tamron 28-75. When it's size and resolution is not necessary I just carry the K100D and the FA 35m or any of my takumars
09-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #10

Ditto the experience of the K100D (I have the Super, but it's the same erganomics, right? do correct me if I'm wrong.)

I once shot an entire candle-lit wedding ceremony with the K100D Super on ISO 3200, the photos came out very well (and the bride was a photographer herself so she understood noise and was very happy with the results.)

I think that sometimes we shy away from noise too much. Noise is good. Alas, banding and chequer-board patterns are not so the K10D stayed in bed for that outing...