Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the quiver

Following a shoot a few weeks ago I decided that I needed some higher iso capabilities. After shooting the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that I would like a "3 bears" approach to gear:

1. small/light
2. high quality small/light
3. high quality

#1 is a really good p&s that I can take pretty much anywhere, but it has to shoot raw and should have a fast lens. This is nicely covered by the DLux4, though the S90 is looking pretty attractive as well. At any rate, there are a number of good choices.

#3 was the K20d with ltd primes, but a recent shoot left me needing some better high iso performance, and I'd also like the ability to rent/borrow specific lenses if I have that need. I don't have to shoot "for real" that often, but when I do it is usually a one-off, and I can end up with some odd needs like either iso 6400 candids or very tight spaces. I went back and forth between 5Dmk2 and D700, and in the end picked up a 5Dmk2. Mostly it was due to lens choice as well as how the camera fit in my hand. The basic kit will be 24-105/f4 IS, 70-200/f4 IS (awesome lens - just like the 50-135*) and 50/1.4.

#2 is an interesting one. I like to do street shooting, and tend to rely on AF. I often shoot from the hip, though I do frame as well. In particular I want something that won't scare the natives, and allows me to blend in. I had an E-P1 for awhile, and while some aspects were great, others could be improved. With the acquisition of the 5D and subsequent selling of the E-P1, I'm now figuring out the options. It has narrowed down to:

K7 w/35 or 40ltd (around $1900 currently)
GF1 w/20/1.7 ($900)
Leica X1 ($2000)

GF1 is leading just due to cost considerations, but I know the K7 will get an arguably "better" image, plus I know the UI (another discussion). X1 is a wildcard - wicked expensive for a fixed lens camera, but it may be stellar for my intended use.

If/when the K7 drops in price it becomes a lot more compelling though that might not happen for some time. Not sure on the price of "better" from an iq standpoint. For the #2 camera, some grit and "character" is desired, and actually the K7 has a bit more of that than the K20d (at least in shots I took).

Enough rambling. I am interested if others have similar setups and how they choose/swap between them.

09-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What are the pros & cons with your 5DII and two lens kit?

What are the pros & cons with your 5DII hands on & two lens kit?

I don't have a small & light kit. I don't street shoot so stealth kit is not a need for me.

I'd kinda like to get a 5DII to be able to microadjust every eos lens I own. The 21mp is a turn off. Though I'm reading better things about sRaw now. Buying a 21mp dslr to get 10mp files isn't making me want one. From what I'm reading Canon 7D is better for HD, due to more settings. I'll stick with Pentax K20D for aps-c. I can't use K-7 as its too small for my bear paw hands. I noticed Pentax K-7 is $1259 at B&H today.

I see Leica X-1 as a high end fixed focal length point and shoot. Looks cool with its retro design, but it is a non interchangeable lens right? Not interchangeable? $2,000 seems high.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Following a shoot a few weeks ago I decided that I needed some higher iso capabilities. After shooting the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that I would like a "3 bears" approach to gear:

1. small/light
2. high quality small/light
3. high quality

#1 is a really good p&s that I can take pretty much anywhere, but it has to shoot raw and should have a fast lens. This is nicely covered by the DLux4, though the S90 is looking pretty attractive as well. At any rate, there are a number of good choices.

#3 was the K20d with ltd primes, but a recent shoot left me needing some better high iso performance, and I'd also like the ability to rent/borrow specific lenses if I have that need. I don't have to shoot "for real" that often, but when I do it is usually a one-off, and I can end up with some odd needs like either iso 6400 candids or very tight spaces. I went back and forth between 5Dmk2 and D700, and in the end picked up a 5Dmk2. Mostly it was due to lens choice as well as how the camera fit in my hand. The basic kit will be 24-105/f4 IS, 70-200/f4 IS (awesome lens - just like the 50-135*) and 50/1.4.

#2 is an interesting one. I like to do street shooting, and tend to rely on AF. I often shoot from the hip, though I do frame as well. In particular I want something that won't scare the natives, and allows me to blend in. I had an E-P1 for awhile, and while some aspects were great, others could be improved. With the acquisition of the 5D and subsequent selling of the E-P1, I'm now figuring out the options. It has narrowed down to:

K7 w/35 or 40ltd (around $1900 currently)
GF1 w/20/1.7 ($900)
Leica X1 ($2000)

GF1 is leading just due to cost considerations, but I know the K7 will get an arguably "better" image, plus I know the UI (another discussion). X1 is a wildcard - wicked expensive for a fixed lens camera, but it may be stellar for my intended use.

If/when the K7 drops in price it becomes a lot more compelling though that might not happen for some time. Not sure on the price of "better" from an iq standpoint. For the #2 camera, some grit and "character" is desired, and actually the K7 has a bit more of that than the K20d (at least in shots I took).

Enough rambling. I am interested if others have similar setups and how they choose/swap between them.
09-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The low light capabilities of the K-7 are much better than the K10D and the K20D. The Leica is going to have terrible noise levels (and it only goes up to 1250 I think) and the GF-1 is a micro four thirds camera, and you can get a used E-P1 from Olympus for $300 less if you want to go that way with your camera.
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
What are the pros & cons with your 5DII hands on & two lens kit?

I don't have a small & light kit. I don't street shoot so stealth kit is not a need for me.

I'd kinda like to get a 5DII to be able to microadjust every eos lens I own. The 21mp is a turn off. Though I'm reading better things about sRaw now. Buying a 21mp dslr to get 10mp files isn't making me want one. From what I'm reading Canon 7D is better for HD, due to more settings. I'll stick with Pentax K20D for aps-c. I can't use K-7 as its too small for my bear paw hands. I noticed Pentax K-7 is $1259 at B&H today.

I see Leica X-1 as a high end fixed focal length point and shoot. Looks cool with its retro design, but it is a non interchangeable lens right? Not interchangeable? $2,000 seems high.
Pros on the 5D2 are usable to iso6400 (for my taste), very quick/accurate AF, silent lens focus, and I can get a good 50/1.4 for under $400 new, and can spurge at some point and get 50/1.2 or 85/1.2. Also I can crop fairly heavily and still be able to print large.

Cons are heavier lenses and a somewhat miserable UI. The body itself isn't that much heavier than the K20d though, and the extra height actually fits my hand better. But the 24-105/4 is somewhat slow and a little bigger/heavier than 16-50*. The 70-200/4IS is worth the price of admission though.

For HD video I never shoot 24p so that is a non-issue with me.

I could use the K7 with a DA ltd prime and two fingers. That combo beats the X1 for versatility and possibly performance but we don't know what the X1 can/will do. Rumor is that it is the same sensor as the D300. It is priced high, but it also is Leica and the UI looks awesome (knobs, we like knobs!).

09-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The low light capabilities of the K-7 are much better than the K10D and the K20D. The Leica is going to have terrible noise levels (and it only goes up to 1250 I think) and the GF-1 is a micro four thirds camera, and you can get a used E-P1 from Olympus for $300 less if you want to go that way with your camera.
The X1 will do up to iso3200 and has 11 point metering and AF along with AF assist. It looks like it will be a very good performer, and should beat both GF-1 and E-P1 wrt IQ.

It will be an interesting comparison between K7 and X1 iq/performance. The AF should be faster on the K7 as the X1 is contrast detection but Panny has done quite well with making that work fast on the G1/GH1.
09-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Have seen this X-1 thread ?

Have seen this X-1 thread ?

Several photographers at fredmiranda are considering pros & cons of X-1 versus the competetion.

I've also read X-1 uses D300 sensor. D300 got discontinued last week. D300 cost ranged from $1359 to $1699 new. $1359 was a rare price point, my friend bought his for that just a few months after it launched.

Anyone thinking about a Leica X1? - FM Forums