Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 04:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100d tilted???

Have a problem with my K100. In the viewfinder the alignment lines are tilted to the right with respect to the viewfinder itself.
Grab a quick shot with the camera level and the viewfinder aligned to the horizon the photo is tilted downward to the right a few degrees.
Taking care to align the horizon to the lines makes the photo correct but I have to tilt the camera to the left from level a few degrees.
Any ideas as to what is out of alignment in the camera and what it takes to repair it?
Any input would be appreciated--Thanks

09-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the same problem with my camera, I sent it to Pentax - U.S., and they fixed it (it was on warranty). I don't think it's something you can do yourself with a couple of screwdrivers and pliers. Sensor re-alignment is a very delicate job.
09-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LScrabeck Quote
Have a problem with my K100. In the viewfinder the alignment lines are tilted to the right with respect to the viewfinder itself.
Grab a quick shot with the camera level and the viewfinder aligned to the horizon the photo is tilted downward to the right a few degrees.
Taking care to align the horizon to the lines makes the photo correct but I have to tilt the camera to the left from level a few degrees.
Any ideas as to what is out of alignment in the camera and what it takes to repair it?
Any input would be appreciated--Thanks
Out of curiosity did you determine the tilt using a bubble level on the camera?
Reason being to determine if it was the sensor tilted or just the focus screen lines.

this is a problem that has plagued DSLR's for some time......
One final performance note: the viewfinder mask on my D50 is 0.6 degrees off from what it should be. Line something up with the bottom of the viewfinder frame and you'll be running Rotate Arbitrary in Photoshop a lot. I've yet to see a Nikon viewfinder that's perfect (curiously, they all seem to give you images that run downhill right), but my D50's is the worst of the bunch to date.
Nikon D50 Review by Thom Hogan
09-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
Your question about using a bubble level.
I first checked it by aligning the view window to the horizon. With that aligned you can see the tilt in the screen alignment lines. Snap a picture and the water runs out of the right side of the photo.
Placed it on a tripod. Leveled the tripod base and attached the camera. View window looks good but the screen lines are a few degrees to the right.

Looks like a job for the Pentax service dept.