Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exposure bias on Pentax cameras

I currently have a Nikon D70 which tends to expose to preserve the highlights. Many Canon (and apparrantly the D80 and D50 from Nikon) meter hot and lose some highlights.

How would you characterize Pentax metering (specifically the K100D)

11-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Justed

More than exposure

You may be noticing the effects of in camera image processing in comparing different cameras pictures. The nice thing about digital cameras is that you can do so much with the photo files after the fact. At any rate, if you don't like the exposure results
of the camera you wind up with, it is easy to alter that in the setup. You can usually get a digital camera to bracket the exposure as well.

Ed
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the reply, Ed.

However, I'm moving this to the DSLR forum, and I guess I should disable guest posting since it serves no purpose being only in one forum (the FAQ).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have *Ist DS and it tends to underexpose when highlights are introduced, so im' usin +0,3ev compensation when shooting in bright sunlight and +0,7ev when using polarizer on landscapes. AFAIK K100D exposes better (brighter). Haven't tried one yet, so I can't be of more help.

11-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I have *Ist DS and it tends to underexpose when highlights are introduced, so im' usin +0,3ev compensation when shooting in bright sunlight and +0,7ev when using polarizer on landscapes. AFAIK K100D exposes better (brighter). Haven't tried one yet, so I can't be of more help.
Thanks for the info. The D70 does the same so it shouldn't take too muchgetting used to.
11-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
Thanks for the info. The D70 does the same so it shouldn't take too muchgetting used to.
If you are specifically referring to the K100D or possibly K10D be aware that it looks to be 1/2 stop "brighter" than what is usually reported for the D series (there is some variation here, we won't go into that though). Best to check your own camera. That said, the K series seems to still throttle back the exposure a bit at times. Pentax and Nikon are the same here, model to model variation....