Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Trub

K10D and ISO above 200

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I shoot @ ISO 200 and above, the I get this weird streaking going from top to bottom. It's more noticable @ 400 and above. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this before?

05-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you post a sample shot of the problem? It might be banding, but it could also be regular noise...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Trub

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Could you post a sample shot of the problem? It might be banding, but it could also be regular noise...
I'm at work right now and don't have access to them right now but it's not noise. Banding is a good description of what is happening. I was at a rock concert and the lighting was up and down to go with the music. I got some good pictures, but some had what would best be described as banding. Can you give me some more info on it and how to avoid it?

Here is one of the better one's but in the RAW file there was some banding. I'll post a really bad one once I get home tonight.

Last edited by Trub; 01-30-2008 at 08:45 AM.
05-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
To me it looks like shadows from the curtain behind her. There is a curtain behind her right? If not, tell everyone it's a curtain cause that's what it looks like (at least to me).

05-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

It's not banding, not in the usual sense anyway. I have to agree that it looks like a curtain. Certainly nothing I have seen in my images.
05-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Trub

After looking up the definition of banding, it's clearly not that. I guess the only way to describe it is to post a picture. I'll have to do it when I get home though.
05-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Trub

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
It's not banding, not in the usual sense anyway. I have to agree that it looks like a curtain. Certainly nothing I have seen in my images.
This is one of the good ones and it's not full size. When I get home and post a bad one, you'll clearly see it and go "WTF!"
05-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with CJ. All I see is a navy blue curtain with no obvious banding in her shirt, face, or hair. The same with the microphone and boom arm.

On another note, the image has a strong blue tint overall, even in the black microphone setup (once owned this setup, so know it's black). Cannot decide if this was intentional (blue stage lights or editing) or the result of incorrect white balance. Finally, I personally would edit out the bright spot in her hair from the earring since it's not immediately obvious that's what it is. Competent picture otherwise, though.

stewart

05-22-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
Trub

Ok here's an ugly one. There was an uglier one, but I deleted it because it was ugly! But this one is pretty bad. Now I was shooting wide open because it was dark and there was a fog machine so I don't know what happened, maybe too much light at too high of an ISO?

05-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's the famed "stop complaining" "Only exists in underexposed photos" "Some people actually USE their cameras instead of whining" "I don't get it on MY camera" "Would you please shut up already, your constant negativity gets so annoying" "There is nothing wrong in that picture, but please buy our replacement for the K10D next year that fixes this completely" .......VPN.
05-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
That's the famed "stop complaining" "Only exists in underexposed photos" "Some people actually USE their cameras instead of whining" "I don't get it on MY camera" "Would you please shut up already, your constant negativity gets so annoying" "There is nothing wrong in that picture, but please buy our replacement for the K10D next year that fixes this completely" .......VPN.
Come on, tell us how you really feel.

How about a dose of reality, high ISO has always sucked and always will. The images shown on this thread are not pretty, but they are pretty much what I would expect from high ISO. Using high ISO doesn't really turn up the sensors sensitivity to light, it only boosts the signal, which amplifies any latent issues (exposure, shadow density, et al). The IS vpn in the second image. It is fixable, and not with a new camera or a firmware update. It is fixable with corrections in exposure and color balance (the image is quite blue, which is the channel that the K10D vpn is in).

Another thing, have you tried printing it? Noise is usually worse on a monitor than it is in a print.
05-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

In this picture, I think you're seeing a combination of the stage background, objects on the stage reflecting lights onto that background, image noise from the high ISO, and some lens flare. I don't see any evidence of streaking or banding in the jacket, face, or hair of the singer. The only thing I see there is the blue blob under the sideburn - most likely unrelated lens flare. Software or a plugin to reduce image noise might improve the background somewhat, but the lens flare and reflections will be more difficult to remove (not impossible, but some software editing required). Another option is to simply cut the subject out and paste him on a cleaner background.

stewart
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
Trub

This picture is what I'm talking about. The first picture is the over all picture. The second is a crop of the actual size (1:1) of the bottom of the cup where the shadow starts. You can see the artifacting which looks like gainey blue-ish lines going vertically.

06-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

That's normal at high ISO for the K10D. I just try to avoid going above ISO 800 if all possible. On screen at 100%, you probably see more color noise. When you print, the noise is barely noticeable. Don't pixel peep too much. Just go out and enjoy taking photos. Pentax sensor is known for now not to be as free from noise as the Canon CMOS sensor. That's a given so why worry?
06-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
Trub

QuoteOriginally posted by neighhoma Quote
That's normal at high ISO for the K10D. I just try to avoid going above ISO 800 if all possible. On screen at 100%, you probably see more color noise. When you print, the noise is barely noticeable. Don't pixel peep too much. Just go out and enjoy taking photos. Pentax sensor is known for now not to be as free from noise as the Canon CMOS sensor. That's a given so why worry?
I forgot to say that it was taken at ISO 100! And I have to "pixel peep" for stock photography. The inspectors at iStockphoto.com can see noise/artifacting from a mile away.

So the Canon sensors do a better job when it comes to less noise?