Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

View finder/ MF focus question, K20D vs K7

Possibly a few of you have used both bodies and I am curious if there is any significant improvement in the view finder size, brilliance etc between the two. My reason for asking is I am concidering a jump into digital from my LX body with the optional sports finder. This LX option awesome for someone with less than perfect eye sight. I have a few excellent MF lenses which I would like to retain and use with the digital body. I am aware of the optional focusing screens available to improve MF focus. (Katz)

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

09-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I haven't used the K20D, but have 2 K10's and one of them with a split screen installed.

I find with the K-7 it's a bit larger and a bit brighter so I don't need the split screen anymore. I don't have any problems MF with it.

Incidentally I also have an O-ME53 for the K10 which I also find I don't need with the K-7.

Just some food for thought...

c[_]
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Phil1 I can agree with ll_coffee_lP about the K-7 viewfinder. It is improved over the k20/10D. I don't think I need to get a Katseye either. I am an eyeglass wearer too. It seems like I can see focus point much better with the K-7 that I don't know how much improvement could be met with a split prism screen.

That being said if you are moving from an LX the viewfinder on any APS-c DSLR is going to be like looking down a long narrow tunnel. The only covet is that the K-7 has an exceptional viewfinder for APS-c camera.
09-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Phil1 I can agree with ll_coffee_lP about the K-7 viewfinder. It is improved over the k20/10D. I don't think I need to get a Katseye either. I am an eyeglass wearer too. It seems like I can see focus point much better with the K-7 that I don't know how much improvement could be met with a split prism screen.

That being said if you are moving from an LX the viewfinder on any APS-c DSLR is going to be like looking down a long narrow tunnel. The only covet is that the K-7 has an exceptional viewfinder for APS-c camera.
I also agree, one other point I might mention is that with the 100% viewfinder, I am finding I am not cropping as much in Lightroom as I can now accurately frame the shot in camera. The only time I crop now is if I am changing the aspect ratio from 3:2 to say either 4:3 or 1:1.

Also, I use manual focus a lot and do not have a problem with the standard screen that comes with the camera.

09-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just using the normal matte focus screen which comes with the K-7 has been a pleasant surprise.
Its really an improvement for Manual focus. I can actually see the viewfinder image go from out-of-focus to in-focus as I rotate the focus ring. The transition is even clearer with large aperture and shallow DOF e.g. f/2.8

Good stuff
09-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the great info. I was leaning towards a K20D but my eyesight will not be improving as time goes by so I will swing over to the K7. I dug my old MF primes out and were checking them over, I guess fondling is the word used on police blotters. Damn! This is going to get expensive. But you know looking at the values now on good glass, the only thing depreciating is the camera body.

I have to take a MF lens or two to a big LA store and handle a K7. I have never seen one as yet.

Great site and thanks!
09-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can MF pretty well with the default K20D screen. I checked out the K-7 over the weekend, but just with the kit lens, and didn't immediately feel a huge difference in the viewfinder. But that was just a brief hands-on.
09-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both cameras and do a lot of macro (manual focus). I definitely think the K-7 is easier to focus using the OEM screen, though the differences aren't huge. If I were to wear just glasses I'd either have trifocals or progressives. As it is, I normally wear contacts for distance and bifocals for mid and close distances. I have no trouble adjusting the viewfinder to work for me with just the contacts. I've sometimes thought about a split screen but haven't had enough of a problem manually focusing to make it worth spending money on.

I must be the only one who finds the 100% viewfinder a disadvantage. I got very used to the fact the viewfinder covered more than what I could see and I find that my pictures with the K-7 trim things I would have managed with the K20. I really have to pay more attention to my framing - dumb, I know.