Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

GX20 x K20D

Hí!

Do you may answer why the GX20 get better Sensor Mark than K20D to DXO Mark?

09-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Funny I was going to ask a question about the GX-20 and the K20D also.

I found this on Dpreview after googling. Is this below true?

"K20D offers PEF and DNG RAW-formats, GX-20 offers only DNG.
K20D has the Enhanced Dynamic Range-function, GX-20 does not.
K20D has 21 fps burst mode, the GX-20 does not. "

I don't really care for the PEF and DNG, because I only shoot in DNG. But is there a firmware or anything that also gives the GX-20 the same capability that the K20D boasts such as Enhanced Dynamic Range-function?

What does Enhanced Dynamic Range-function do anyways? Anybody want to give me an example and maybe a picture with it on and with it off to see the differences? Thanks.

Also 21 FPS burst? I never knew the K20D could shoot so fast. I always thought that it could only shoot at 3FPS.
09-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 21fps burst is only at 1.5Mp in JPEG only - application of this function is limited.
The 3fps burst is at 14.6Mp in RAW or JPEG.
D-range attempts to resolve the highlights within the dynamic range of the sensor to prevent high contrast scenes from blowing out. A mild attempt in comparison to true HDR.

As for the sensors, they're exactly the same - perhaps different processing algorithms, but I'd take the DxO analysis results with a grain of salt. Not that they aren't accurate, but sample variation can explain even up to 5% abberation from the expected result. Beyond that, there may be a small but insignificant difference.
09-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
DAZ
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan de Almeida Quote
Hí!

Do you may answer why the GX20 get better Sensor Mark than K20D to DXO Mark?
I think I remember reading somewhere on DXO that DXO mark numbers of less then 3 are probably not relevant as the differences is probably to small to show in any really world photos. In addition DXO doesn’t give what are the error limits are or what the manufacturing limits for a given product are. Ever measurement has errors (and DXO mark numbers are made up from multiple measurements) and every manufactured product has acceptably tolerates. With all that in mind I would not be surprised if the error bands for a DXO mark were in the 3-6 ranges. Meaning that if the DXO mark numbers are less then 3 lets say then the 2 cameras have basically the same DXO mark score.

People get so tied up in what looks like the absolute of numbers that they forget that those hard numbers still have soft errors in the real world.

DAZ

09-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot.

You think its a statistical dispersion. Well, it make sense.
09-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #6

Wow, I cannot really fault Ivan for his grammar because he probably speaks english as a second language, but Daz, What the heck were you trying to say?
"and every manufactured product has acceptably tolerates " I read it through about 4 times before I thought I got the idea, but I might be wrong. I think you are trying to say "every manufactured product has acceptable tolerances"? Not trying to say you have to be perfect with spelling and grammar, just try to be a little closer so that your idea can be communicated effectively.
09-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
DAZ
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
Wow, I cannot really fault Ivan for his grammar because he probably speaks english as a second language, but Daz, What the heck were you trying to say?
"and every manufactured product has acceptably tolerates " I read it through about 4 times before I thought I got the idea, but I might be wrong. I think you are trying to say "every manufactured product has acceptable tolerances"? Not trying to say you have to be perfect with spelling and grammar, just try to be a little closer so that your idea can be communicated effectively.
I apologies. That is what I get for writing something quickly and not proofreading before I post it. Yes, you are correct, I meant, “every manufactured product has acceptable tolerances”. Thank you for correcting me. My problem is that American English is my first and only language. I did not take writing seriously in school so now I must continually struggle with it now.

DAZ
09-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #8

lol, I hear you there. I often get in a hurry when writing things as well, but when I am writing something that is information for another person I try to limit my mistakes to simple ones that can be easily overlooked.