Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D Warranty Info ... I think I got suckered

Ok, so I just bought the k10d from a less than reputable website (yes I know, I was greedy and figured they wouldn't get me). I had to call in to "confirm my order", but of course I get told that the body only doesn't come with a battery then I get told the battery only works 20 minutes so I should buy another then I get told that I ordered a grey market model and I need to pay 50 bucks to upgrade. So I did, I figured I'd play it safe (it was still cheaper than buying anywhere else). I get the camera today and when I unpack it I realize it's a little light in the booklet area, and I couldn't quite figure out why ... I dug through my other papers from the k100d and realized that this one didn't have a warranty card or any info about registering the camera.

So before I call back the dirty camera whores, I want to make sure I have my facts straight. The k10d should come with a registration card correct? I was going to call Pentax, but they've already closed. I guess I'll be resolving it in the morning. Any tips would really help out. Thanks

Daniel

05-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You got suckered.... warranty, battery and all that come WITH the camera.
05-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #3

I don't think he gave a truthful sentence in the whole conversation. Please identify this fine business.
05-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wilddigital.com

I'm going to send the camera back, I just want to make sure I have a good enough argument so I can get them to pay for shipping back and I need to avoid the restocking fee.

Of course after I purchase I find a couple of nice websites that list the companies to beware and a list of their aliases. here

05-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
Wilddigital.com

I'm going to send the camera back, I just want to make sure I have a good enough argument so I can get them to pay for shipping back and I need to avoid the restocking fee.
You paid on credit card, right? Check your credit card's fraud protection policies.
05-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The old saying is VERY true when buying camera equipment on line. if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I got burned by "BestPriceCamera.com" And will never again !! B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, and KEH for used stuff is the way to go.
05-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
The old saying is VERY true when buying camera equipment on line. if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I got burned by "BestPriceCamera.com" And will never again !! B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, and KEH for used stuff is the way to go.
I second that.
No booklet manual? It's grey market!

However ... Does the camera work? No flaws? Clean sensor? No dust in viewfinder? Perhaps you should just keep it! Of course, if it breaks within a year you're hosed.

05-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Kenmore Camera was pretty good to me as well. I'd buy from them again.
05-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #9

You should also contact the Better Business Bureau in the state that the store is located in, and possibly the states attorney generals office. What they did is agains the law as well as unethical.

Shawn
05-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let me elaborate I guess. The body came in bubble wrap, very old looking bubble wrap, and only the cords were in sealed plastic. The instruction bag had the manual, a cd, and the pentax photolab cd. When I purchased my k100d, I remember the warranty card, a registration postcard and at least two other pieces of paper.

This is nit picking, but when on the phone I was told the body would be 699 + shipping for a total of 745. My credit card has a pending charge of 747, and the invoice sent with the camera says the body was 710 and shipping 35.

On the bottom of the K10D, where it has the stamp, it only has the words pentax and k10d. I compared it to my k100d body which had a bunch of other symbols, not that I know what they mean, I'm just guessing it has something to do with the good ol US of A.

I called my credit card before I bought the camera in case something like this happened, they said basically I have to duke it out with them myself first. Then wait like 14 or 15 days to file a dispute. I'm hopeful that it will all work out.

The camera works great, but as a beginning teacher I doubt I'm going to have the money to spend on another camera anytime soon if something goes wrong.

Their BBB report is pretty sad. Makes me wonder how they're still in businesss ... It seems almost impossible to keep up with all of their fronts.

I learned the lesson, maybe someone else will read this and not make my mistake of being poor and greedy
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Ole
Administrator

Well, good luck.

Perhaps they don't even have a return policy?

Also consider if you have a case at all? You got what you paid for. And the camera works. The credit card company may not accept your claim unless you prove that you were cheated.

Last edited by Ole; 05-22-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How much of this do you have *in writing*? They clearly didn't sell you what they claimed they were, and even a verbal agreement is legally binding. It's very, very likely that your credit card company will back you up on this, but the more documentation you have, the better.
05-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Did you buy the "body only" or the "body-only kit"? There is a big difference, and I would carefully check the wording of what they advertise.
05-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
(snip) ...I dug through my other papers from the k100d and realized that this one didn't have a warranty card or any info about registering the camera.

So before I call back the dirty camera whores, I want to make sure I have my facts straight. The k10d should come with a registration card correct? I was going to call Pentax, but they've already closed. I guess I'll be resolving it in the morning. Any tips would really help out. Thanks

I believe some here may be mistaken, Daniel. As far as I know, the K10D does not come with a warranty card. To obtain warranty service within the country originally purchased, a copy of the purchase receipt is the only requirement. For warranty service outside the country of original purchase, you can obtain an internation warranty card as described in the "Pentax Worldwide Service Network" leaflet.

The K10D kit does have a beige serial number card - often confused for a warranty card, but (as stated on the card) not it's purpose.

Registration is not a requirement, so there is no printed info regarding this in the kit either. The software installation includes optional registration.

The kit also includes the camera manual, software manual, CD(s) in Tyvek/plastic sleeve, a Pentax Worldwide Service Network leaflet, a small California compliance sheet (for battery), and a small "do not return...to your dealer" sheet. The kit varies between one and two CD's (same content in either case).

The camera itself comes wrapped in an unsealed plastic bubble wrap bag, with a white body cap over the lens mount. The battery has it's own small unsealed plastic bag, with the electrical contacts protected by a molded plastic cover. The cords and eyecup are also wrapped in individual plastic bags.

If the content of the manuals is in English, you most likely have a USA domestic version. Versions for other countries contain manuals relevant to the specific country, with no international manual in multiple languages. I'm not aware of any significant differences in the product itself between the various world markets.

stewart
05-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I still like buying camera bodies at my local shop. They have been in business for around 50 years and I actually worked for them for 4 years. Good people, good service. In the end I think it does not cost any extra money, since I never have any problems that can't be fixed in a heart beat.